Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Create files from regions WITH processing

You can do the Export Track to Soundfile while highlighting each file in turn, with the B/Tab/E keys. I just tried it on 10 files, it took about 2 minutes, filename typing included. You do have to retype the name unfortunately, because the default name seems to be the EDL name. Pretty quick for a small to medium number of files though. Not sure if it would work with reverb trails, I'm thinking no (unless maybe you had space between the soundfiles). But any other effects, yes.

If they're all getting the same processing, I'd be tempted to use the Sound Forge batch processor. You can keep the names, and indicate a folder where the processed files go. It's pretty flexible. Again, SS and SF have their strengths, nothing wrong with having another tool. SF is definitely the Swiss Army knife, very Yin to SS's Yang .
    Last edited by studio-c; 06-28-2007 at 11:30 PM.

SS is designed for quite different things than Sound Forge... the export track option is designed to handle many edited regions with processing, including rate conversion and softedges and automation... much different than batch processing a straight wav file with some eq or something similar.

I believe SS would give you better output results with the built-in processing algorithms, and my choice would probably be to handle each file separately and adjust them individually, and not be bothered by having to type the file name or track name... but that's just the way I would do it...

If you like automatic everything, the other options might be your better choice for that task.

Bob L

Yeah, this isn't something I do on a regular basis (yet anyway), I was just curious. I actually just went to each region, did an Alt-E to select and then built-mix. For the file name I had made copies of all the files to a "processed" folder and just selected the name I needed and overwrote those files. This way I didn't have to type the names. I am a terrbile typist. No biggie.

Bob, is there a way to add an option to the Export Region process that could include processing w/o any changes to the core or would it bloat things and require major changes? I love the Export Regions feature and use it all the time the way it is. This would be a nice option though if anyone ever had to do it with processing I would think.

Anyway, thanks for all the input and ideas!
    David Benkert

Quote Originally Posted by DBenkert View Post
    Bob, is there a way to add an option to the Export Region process that could include processing w/o any changes to the core or would it bloat things and require major changes? I love the Export Regions feature and use it all the time the way it is. This would be a nice option though if anyone ever had to do it with processing I would think.
    The potential problem I see with this is if a region was used on multiple tracks with different processing, how would you decide which tracks processing to use when exporting the region. Or would you export it 5 times with a number suffix on the file name? If you did this on a large session, you could end up with 100's of like regions exported.
    -Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Allen View Post
    The potential problem I see with this is if a region was used on multiple tracks with different processing, how would you decide which tracks processing to use when exporting the region. Or would you export it 5 times with a number suffix on the file name? If you did this on a large session, you could end up with 100's of like regions exported.
    Good call Craig - I didn't think of that because the only way I have used this is by selecting the regions in Select Mode and then choosing the "Associate Selected Regions". I guess that wouldn't matter though if there were other regions with the same name on different tracks.
    David Benkert

Good call Craig - I didn't think of that because the only way I have used this is by selecting the regions in Select Mode and then choosing the "Associate Selected Regions". I guess that wouldn't matter though if there were other regions with the same name on different tracks.
    David, did you have a look at JMS's BFG? It was suggested earlier in the thread. I'm just curious if you tried it and if so, what did not work for you... Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by David Vanderploeg View Post
    David, did you have a look at JMS's BFG? It was suggested earlier in the thread. I'm just curious if you tried it and if so, what did not work for you... Cheers!
    I did briefly, but I couldn't figure how to do what I wanted. So I guess the part that didn't work for me is my ignorance Do you know how I would do what I want with BFG?
    David Benkert

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    SS is designed for quite different things than Sound Forge... the export track option is designed to handle many edited regions with processing, including rate conversion and softedges and automation... much different than batch processing a straight wav file with some eq or something similar.

Bob L
    Absolutely, and I'm glad that you focus on what you do, because it's excellent! Like I said, I tried it last night in SS and the name typing took very little time. I use this a lot in my work.

This reminds me that I should probably take a closer look at all of the native SS apps (3rd party, I have all the RML ones), and see how much I can keep my work in SS. I KNOW I'm adding steps in many cases by flipping back and forth, so a little homework is in order

Chers,
    Scott

I have more export options on the todo list for the next update... one would be just like the track export, but it would allow you to process in any manner you want and keep each individual region/edit separate... it would obviously keep the region name and create individual wav files... just like the export region feature... but including all processing setup, including automation within the regions, on the tracks.

Bob L

I did briefly, but I couldn't figure how to do what I wanted. So I guess the part that didn't work for me is my ignorance Do you know how I would do what I want with BFG?
    No. I think you're right... I couldn't find a way to force BFG to use the region name as the filename.