Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Inaccessible Task Bar

Is this bugging anyone yet? I'm getting pretty frustrated trying to work in a consistent flow. Sometimes it's there. Sometimes it's not.

For those just joining us... it appears that due to some changes Bob made in the code for 4.0, the auto-hidden task bar will not reveal itself by moving the mouse pointer to the bottom of SAW -- after the user has been working in SAW for a short while. Not sure if this is across the board, or only on some systems...

I'm hoping something can be done to fix this.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Default Re: Inaccessible Task Bar

I experience the opposite. The task bar jumps up when I try to click something at the bottom of the screen making my target inaccessible. To be completely honest, it happens on the office machine usually when I’m in Eudora, not on the SS machine. Oh, did I mention this was OT?
    Send me some of your juju and I’ll send you some of mine between us we can have our problem solved!

Press CTRL-ESC.

I prefer the task bar to stay hidden. If I want it, I press ctrl-esc. Unfortunately, my Fn button is next to my Ctrl button, and if I press that, my laptop goes to sleep. So I had to upgrade to XP so that I can turn off the sleep command. So count yourself lucky.

Dominic

Quote Originally Posted by DominicPerry View Post
    Press CTRL-ESC.
    Dom, that's great. Thanks. I like that shortcut.

BTW Dave, another useful one is START-D... Minimizes everything and focuses on the Desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by bcorkery View Post
    I experience the opposite. The task bar jumps up when I try to click something at the bottom of the screen making my target inaccessible. To be completely honest, it happens on the office machine usually when I’m in Eudora, not on the SS machine. Oh, did I mention this was OT?
    Send me some of your juju and I’ll send you some of mine between us we can have our problem solved!
    Your issue could be because you've made the Saw border too large... happens to me once in a while on certain f-keys that I'm too lazy to readjust.

This problem with the inaccessible task bar is a real nuisance though. It happens to me out of the blue and it's a real pain when it happens. I've been using the autohide taskbar since I began using a pc and feel it really helps my workflow. This new behavior with Saw really gets in the way sometimes. It makes working with multiple instances of Saw, or multiple apps like Totalmix and/or Sound Forge a tedious task. All I can do is close the session, close Saw and start over again.

In my case, it's so sporadic that I have no idea when it will happen..... That's what's really annoying. I don't remember what Bob said he did to cause this to happen, but I wish it could be undone.

Anyway... that's my chance to vent and I'm in a bad mood today.

DanT

I think something has changed in Windows. This happens on my office machine, which lets Windows download updates. If I have a window maximized, the hidden task bar will not appear when I go to the bottom of the desktop. With just a little of the desktop showing below the open windows, the task bar will appear. XPPro SP2.

On the SS machine, Windows Update is turned off. Hidden task bar appears whenever asked. [edit] But then, I've reverted to an older version of SS Basic. My two monitors work well and no region weirdness. Maybe the current version does something to the taskbar. I didn't stay with it long enough to find out. Needed to get work done. [/edit]
    Last edited by Ian Alexander; 02-21-2007 at 08:56 PM.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

I believe the behaviour has something to do with the code change to swap out the ONTOP plugin windows when you pop another app on top of SS... this is a change I did not do for all these years because Windows is very squirrly with the ONTOP stuff... there are very weird behaviour patterns surrounding the ONTOP windows and there are many differences between different machines.

I do not have an answer at this time... although I have seen this behaviour on certain machines when not even running SS... this will happen with other basic Windows apps lately.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by David Vanderploeg View Post
    BTW Dave, another useful one is START-D... Minimizes everything and focuses on the Desktop.
    And Alt-Tab to switch between open applications.

Regards,

MM
    Michael McInnis Productions

Quote Originally Posted by Stashu View Post
    The solution for me, I modified my F-keys to keep the task bar on the screen.
    That may be my solution as well, except this will mean losing a full track space in many of the views I use now.

Or, I guess I memorize a few more Windows keyboard commands to get from app to app.

DanT

The strange thing is it only happens once in a while - but man when it does it is really annoying.
    I don't remember it happening prior to the recent Saw updates.
    I wonder if Bob could give us a choice to by pass this on top function and set Saw back to the earlier way of handling this...??