Close

Default OT: M-Audio Profire Lightbridge

Anyone using the above interface with SS? With ADA8000s?

It's the only multi-ADAT input option for my notebook (which has FW but unfortunately Expresscard instead of PC Card - so no RME solution ).

Looks like it has no internal mixer widget, so it would rely on SS monitoring for musician foldback - latency may be an issue if my FW1814 is anything to go by .

But with a Behringer MiniAmp800 headphone amp and a USB2 HD, it could make for quite a cheap 'purist' 24-ch mobile rig.

Cheers,
    Alan Hames
    Leicester, UK

Default Re: OT: M-Audio Profire Lightbridge

Hi Alan

RME are comming with pci-expess cards for both laptops and
    workstations very soon. Maybe someone else know more about precise when,

Sebastian

Thanks for the heads-up, Sebastian. I was not aware of that.

Sounds like I should wait to see what RME come up with - low latency monitoring is a must if I am to ditch the HW mixer for live work, and I'm not too confident in M-Audio at present (still have a FW1814 driver issue).

Cheers,
    Alan Hames
    Leicester, UK

What is the issue with the FW 1814. I use one in my studio and have
    sold around 10 with not a single complaint. They are being used on laptops and towers I have built. One guy uses his with an an Acer LT live with an
    ADA8000 and does live recording setups with no problem.

Steve L.
    Audio-Video Electronics
    Mountain View Recording

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    It's the only multi-ADAT input option for my notebook (which has FW but unfortunately Expresscard instead of PC Card - so no RME solution ).

Cheers,
    What is worng with the Fireface 400 or 800?

6. Default Re: OT: M-Audio Profire Lightbridge

I have to chime in with Steve here, I use Maudio 410 and 1814 and can run 1x64 on my desktop if I want, 2 or3x64 is very good on my Sager laptop. For the money they can't be beat. I wonder if something is funny on your machine that could be affecting your performance, ie video drivers etc. If that is the case an RME may not fix it.

Best,
    Brett

Steve / Brett

The problem with the FW1814 came about when my HP notebook died and I replaced it with a Fujitsu-Siemens. See my post of a couple of months ago (don't know how to cross quote the ref..). Mixer widget locks up when SS recording / playback engine engaged. Makes it difficult to set headphone levels. Have raised it with M-Audio but they have not responded yet.

Also, on a recent live recording with only a few tracks and a single ADA8000, I had to jack up the ASIO buffer to 512 to avoid glitches. Must be the PC but very frustrating - took me back 10 years . Was using a 7200 speed USB external HD, so that shouldn't have been a problem. And yes, I have done all the XP tweaks!

Bill

I suspect the above problem may be related to the Fuji PC's firewire interface, so I'm still a bit wary about any FW module. Also, I'm interested in 24ch of ADA8000, and most FW interfaces are only good for 1 or 2 ADAT inputs.

Thanks for your ideas.
    Alan Hames
    Leicester, UK

Hi Alan
    I have an M-Audio Firewire Audiophile and always had this issue. Mixer widget lockup with what ever program I use with it. I now just stop SS running make the necessary adjustment and I am back on the road.
    It is a bit of a pain.....
    Cheers Gerrysan