Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Timeline cursor position after Record

Quote Originally Posted by studio-c View Post
    That's what I get. I haven't checked on the rewind thing though. It started when I began using the tape monitoring. I'll letcha know!
    First time I noticed it was also the first time I used tape style monitoring (the first kind -- playback/input switching), which was when recording the concert on Saturday on my laptop. I just tried it with the same EDL on my desktop system and it didn't do it. Hmmmm...

I've put my Digiface back in service in the studio; not sure when I'll have time to test it again on my laptop with all three ADA8000s hooked up. But my guess is that it's related to the tape style monitoring and/or using live device inputs on the channels/tracks and/or using live device inputs as record inputs on those same tracks. I had all three of these conditions when it happened. How 'bout for you, Scott?

Oh -- also, if it matters, I was using the MME drivers.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

I tried it today and it worked fine. Hmmm.... Oh, except that today I was just recording one test track, where before I was recording 4 simultaneous mono files. I'll check again tomorrow.

Scott

I'm pretty certain that this subject was very recently brought up (or continued) in another thread, but darned if I can find it.

Anyway,
    I've been using live mode for the last two concerts I've recorded (in as many months) and I am really puzzled by this cursor movement behavior when returning to pause at the end of a recorded segment.

Every time I hit stop, rec ready, or the spacebar after recording more than a few seconds (it may be more than a minute, but certainly after a few minutes) the cursor jumps a random amount of distance backwards onto the regions Saw just wrote and displayed..... often times WAY back near the beginning of the new region. We're not talking about a few ms or a few samples in time here..... The cursor jumps back nearly to the beginning of minutes-long segments.

This is very odd and troubling, especially when I've just been using one of the mixers to make adjustments because the focus is not returned to the MT when stopping the recording and I am forced to first return focus to the MT, then TAB the cursor back to the end of the new regions.

If this cursor jumping backwards behavior is going to persist for the forseen future, could Saw at least be adjusted to always return focus to the MT when coming out of record? At least that way I could simply hit TAB to put the cursor where it belongs and then be ready to begin recording again.

This is especially frustrating because I never had this happen before using LIVE mode... which I am happy to say is finally making it possible for me to put TOTALMIX out of its misery. I don't want to go back to THAT.

DanT

I'm looking into the cursor jump... although it is not always easily duplicatable for many of us.

But... you do not have to use Live Mode (in case the problem is connected) to monitor without external hardware or TotalMix... simply arm a track as normal and assign the record meter to an in device... you can still monitor live thru the channel strip when using the Auto-Audio Monitor mode set to Tape Style... this feature is only on versions 4.0 and higher... or 1.5 Basic.

Bob L

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear in my explanaition Bob.
    I said Live mode because that's how I think of it.
    I am (as you suggested) arming tracks as normal and assigning the record meter to an in device.... soemthing that is still a little new to me, but working nicely for my needs.
    The jumping cursor exists with this method as well, which I assume you are aware....
    The problem never existed for me before and only appears to happen when I record for more than some seconds of time.....

I'll see if I can be a little more specific with my analysis of when and under what circumstances this occurs over the coming weekend (if I'm not too flustered by the event itself ) since it is happening on a very regular basis this week. Tomorrow night will be my best chance since we are in dress rehearsal and I will have the chance to stop or pause the recording many times.

Thanks for looking at it..... I thought as much already but couldn't find the recent posts to refresh my memory. I hope I can add useful info for you to track this down.

DanT