Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Timeline cursor position after Record

Hmmm... can't understand what's going on. I've noticed this recently on notebook and desktop PCs (so assume not hardware related).

When I drop out of record after recording something (in SRP the transport status reverts to Rec Ready), the timeline cursor goes back to a point which could be randomly anywhere in the region I have just recorded - never the beginning, and almost never the end, but typically just "somewhere" between 1/3 and 2/3 of the way through .

I'd kinda expect it to either stay at the end, or jump back to the beginning (for retake). Am I missing some deliberate but obscure repositioning scheme here?

Cheers,
    Alan Hames
    Leicester, UK

Default Re: Timeline cursor position after Record

If you are active in REC/RDY when you start SRP to record something, the status will go back to REC/RDY when you stop recording... this feature has been included to facilitate the live monitoring modes in 4.0.

If you start SRP from a stopped condition, it will simply stay stopped when you are done recording.

Same thing if you start the MT while Live Mode is active... it will automatically revert back to live mode when you stop.

The cursor should stay at the end position when you stop recording... unless you have auto-rewind turned on... then it should snap back to the original starting position.

Bob L

Mine suddenly changed too. Not the RecReady, that had changet with a recend 4.x update. But this week the cursor started stopping a few minutes back into the last recorded region, where it's always stopped at the end of the last region before. It's almost like the old "transcription" mode, if anyone remembers that from SS1.x

The only change I've made has been changing to the TapeStyle monitoring. So it has to be related to that.

Is that what you're experiencing?

Bob,

I should have not mentioned transport mode sequencing in my last post - it was a red herring, as that logic works exactly as intended.

However, today (and I apologise for the long post):

TEST 1

a) Simply stopping record (whatever the initiating mode) leaves the timeline cursor some 100ms after the end of the newly recorded region. Restarting recording therefore leaves 100ms gaps. This is unlike the "random rewind" behaviour noted yesterday, but still odd.

b) The auto-rewind function does not appear to work (still leaves the MT cursor at same position wrt the recorded region whether off or on).

Other forum members have noted odd effects due to corrupt preference files, so I deleted the SAWStudio.prf file and re-ran the tests, but no change.

TEST 2

Then renamed the SAWStudio folder and did a new install from the distro.

The auto-rewind function now correctly relocates the cursor to the beginning of the recorded region! Seems to imply that my original SS install was screwed up somehow, although both old and new .exe's and graphics .dll's are the same number of bytes in size.

But the 100ms "over-run" is still there when not auto-rewinding.

TEST 3

Reinstated the original SS folders, and confirmed that the auto-rewind still does not work in that setup.

TEST 4

Went back to the newly installed SS version, but replaced just the SAWStudio.exe with the old one. Auto-Rewind failed.

TEST 5

Compared old and new SAWStudio.exe's in HexEdit and they report as the same. Both scan as clean with up-to-date AV software.

MY BRAIN HURTS!

Could any other aspect of SS configuration or general PC setup be causing the over-run and/or preventing auto-rewind from working in one case?

For info: All tests used SAWStudio 4.0c with MOTU 8pre and ADA8000 on desktop with TI chipset FW card. Buffers 128 samples, 6-in 4-out. Monitoring tapestyle. Tuning the setup with intent to create a console-free, solid 16-channel location recording DAW.
    Alan Hames
    Leicester, UK

Scott - sorry, was busy writing my last epic post when your post came in. I wondered if it was the tapestyle monitoring as well. It doesn't seem to matter whether it's on or off, but I suppose it could be something in the code update. But see also my observations on the auto-rewind weirdness (i.e. getting better with no discernable difference in exe files).

Bob - can email both "versions" of the exe to you if that would help.

Cheers,
    Alan Hames
    Leicester, UK

The cursor position when stopping after recording has always overrun the end of the region by some random value... but it should never jump back into the region unless the auto-rewind function is active.

When you stop recording, the punch-out point is noted and then the regions are created as the data is collected from the soundcard buffers and then the engine is stopped... the cursor position does not stop at the punch-out point... if you need a seamless edit when you start recording again... you must snap the cursor to the end of the last region... or simply edit things together later... there really is no difference since the recording signal is no longer contiguous once you stopped in the first place.

My guess on the auto-rewind problem is probably some configuration preference setting... not an exe file corruption.

Try clearing your default preferences and my guess is that it will work as a new install does.

Not sure exactly what option should stomp on the auto-rewind... there could just be preference corruption.

Bob L

Thanks for confirming / explaining the apparent cursor over-run. That's no problem in practice.

I will do some more tests over the next couple of days to investigate further the auto-rewind anomaly, if only for future reference. It may be worth setting up a FAQ somewhere for things that can result from a corrupted prf file.

Cheers,
    Alan Hames
    Leicester, UK

Bob, et al.,

I recorded a live show yesterday on my laptop, using tape style monitoring for the first time (cool!), and also experienced the cursor jumping back to somewhere in the previous take after stopping recording each time.

I'm thinking it's a SAW thing.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

My tests here keep the cursor at the end of th last recorded region

Tell me how to duplicate it and I'll fix it.

Make sure you do not have auto-rewind ON.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Bob, et al.,

I recorded a live show yesterday on my laptop, using tape style monitoring for the first time (cool!), and also experienced the cursor jumping back to somewhere in the previous take after stopping recording each time.

I'm thinking it's a SAW thing.
    That's what I get. I haven't checked on the rewind thing though. It started when I began using the tape monitoring. I'll letcha know!