Close

Default Alt-Shift region adjust question

Hi everyone!

Sometimes I want to “open” a region by dragging to the right to open up more of what is underneath and then want to go back to the left to fine tune an edit. If I let off the mouse only and then drag back to the left, it doesn’t work (or takes me 2 times.) I need to let off Alt-Shift and then “reengage” Alt-Shift and drag to the left if I want it to work the first time I try dragging back to the left.

I can adjust the way I do it and let go of Alt-Shift each time, I just thought it would be nice to keep it held down when I am trying to fine-tune like this. I am guessing my technique is flawed though

Does this happen to anyone else?
    David Benkert

Default Re: Alt-Shift region adjust question

Quote Originally Posted by DBenkert View Post
    Hi everyone!

Sometimes I want to “open” a region by dragging to the right to open up more of what is underneath and then want to go back to the left to fine tune an edit. If I let off the mouse only and then drag back to the left, it doesn’t work (or takes me 2 times.) I need to let off Alt-Shift and then “reengage” Alt-Shift and drag to the left if I want it to work the first time I try dragging back to the left.

I can adjust the way I do it and let go of Alt-Shift each time, I just thought it would be nice to keep it held down when I am trying to fine-tune like this. I am guessing my technique is flawed though

Does this happen to anyone else?
    Not sure exactly what you're saying, but when I do it, if I let go of the mouse button during alt-drag, I can click back down on it and the operation re-engages without having to release and repress the alt key.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Thanks Dave,

Alt-Drag works for me as well. This is when I do a Alt-Shift Drag to bring the butt-splice with it.

Here is an example of how I can repeat it:

- Have a region on the Timeline
    - Split region with K
    - Alt-Shift Drag the new splice to the left
    - LET OFF MOUSE ONLY
    - Drag to the right (while still holding Alt-Shift) - this works for me usually, but sometimes acts as an Alt-Drag and leaves a gap
    - LET OFF MOUSE ONLY
    - Drag to the Left again (while still holding Alt-Shift) - This is the part that doesn't respond on the first try for me. I have tried it on multiple machines and the same thing.

Please note that this procedure may seem strange, but it is similar to the type of things I may do (but not this "complex") - I just wanted to lay out a way to repeat it.
    David Benkert

Quote Originally Posted by DBenkert View Post
    Thanks Dave,

Alt-Drag works for me as well. This is when I do a Alt-Shift Drag to bring the butt-splice with it.

Here is an example of how I can repeat it:

- Have a region on the Timeline
    - Split region with K
    - Alt-Shift Drag the new splice to the left
    - LET OFF MOUSE ONLY
    - Drag to the right (while still holding Alt-Shift) - this works for me usually, but sometimes acts as an Alt-Drag and leaves a gap
    - LET OFF MOUSE ONLY
    - Drag to the Left again (while still holding Alt-Shift) - This is the part that doesn't respond on the first try for me. I have tried it on multiple machines and the same thing.

Please note that this procedure may seem strange, but it is similar to the type of things I may do (but not this "complex") - I just wanted to lay out a way to repeat it.
    OK -- sorry, David. I missed the "shift" part.

Here's what I think is going on for you: simply put, when using the shift-alt-drag feature, you must click to the left of the left-hand region entry's right-hand boundary for it to work.

This is because of what the feature does at butt splices is extend or shrink the left-hand region entry while keeping the right-hand regin entry butt-spliced to the left-hand region. As the butt splice moves, so does the right-hand region, while the left region originates at the same point on the timeline, but changes length. Or, as Bob puts it in the Help file...

Grabbing the left boundary of a butt-splice and [Alt-Shift-Left-Dragging] extends or shrinks the left MT Entry and automatically adjusts the following butt-spliced positions to remain attached. Pressing [Shift-U] does the same adjustment to the current cursor position. This operation does not alter edit points of the following entries.
    I guess the one thing that perhaps could use a little clarification in the Help file description is that you have to click (or in the case of shift-U, place the cursor) left of the butt splice in order to "(grab) the left boundary".
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

You do not have to let go of the alt-shift to start again... but grabbing in front of the left boundary is the key to the alt-shift command working

Bob L

Ah yes - thanks guys - I remember that from the online training I think, but never really thought much about it.

I knew it would go down to flawed technique

Thanks again for all your help!
    David Benkert