Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1 more time Mix feedback !!!

You guys were SO helpful on the past mix's that I wanted to hear what you have to say about this one I f you would PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!

http://machineband.com/SSmix46-1-07.mp3

Later
    Buzz

PS: any glaring things happening or small things that don't fit whatever you hear please tell me I need to finish this !!

Default Re: 1 more time Mix feedback !!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikebuzz View Post
    PS: any glaring things happening or small things that don't fit whatever you hear please tell me I need to finish this !!
    This one is kind of a tough call, as it depends on what you wanted from the mix. I liked the fact that there was enough space for the vocal to allow me to get almost all of the words the first time through. I liked the tasteful use of reverb/echo. OTOH, some might prefer the guitars to be more forward in the mix (more common for this type of material). If your goal is to have a few things out front and others more "hinted at", I would say this is a fine mix. If your goal is to have everything equally audible, you have some challenging work ahead. The choice between the two is a matter of preference, and either kind of mix has its place. If I personally was making the choices, there are certain parts of the guitars that would be brought up some, but not too far. Bass would also be more plainly heard (fortunately, you can usually bring up a decent amount of bass without burying the vocal).
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Thanks Cary , we started with a mix that had everything up front and verb'd and it was messy IMO , I was also wondering about riding the faders on the acoustic gtr. to give a bit more life so to speak.
    The bass can come up for sure ( I just listened on my crappy computer spkrs and it was buried ! .

This song was originally an acoustic song and got turned into this version , this mix I think focuses more on the acoustic version VS electric

Again I appreciate your feedback and help !!!!!!!!!!

LAter
    Buzz

4. Default Re: 1 more time Mix feedback !!!

There was a little vocal echoing thing toward the beggining of the song.
    Thought it was too soon - or something - it caught my ear but didn't lead into the next part of the song.

Definitely something going on between that kick/tom-roll syncopated beat thing and the bass.

I'd put the Frequency Analyzer on the bass and pinpoint where it lives.
    Then I'd try pulling back on those frequencies for the kick and toms. See if that doesn't help provide some definition to both the drums and the bass.

Also, thought I could hear a pumping sort of sound on the drums. Maybe compressor settings - or just those drums moving air? I'd try to reduce the perceived pumping. Not needed for this song. Or maybe - airy puffy drums in the beggining and then BAM PRESTO CHANGO - well defined drums that fit the rest of the orchestration.

I liked the synco drum beat and stereo spread of the drums. Thought maybe it'd be interesting to give 'em a little more motion - pan all those drums back and forth real slowly through the versus and then on the chorus pull 'em in to a more normal mix position - might work well with the song.

Hour and hours of nuthin' but fun!

Digital Dexterity Records

Thanks Guys , I made some changes according to your advice

1. brought up the acoustic gtrs in the song and ducked them at the end when the hvy gtrs come in.
    2. worked the drum and bass freq. around 60-100 hz a bit to open them up a little.
    3. fixed a delay on the intro VOX
    4.made the end gtrs just a bit hotter.

http://machineband.com/SSmix56-1-07.mp3 this is mix #5

Later
    Buzz

PS: I really do appreciate the help !!!!!!!!!!!
    PSS: Mark I would add the hvy gtrs on the 2nd chorus but that was voted against !!! Damn democracies

Quote Originally Posted by mikebuzz View Post
    Thanks Guys , I made some changes according to your advice

1. brought up the acoustic gtrs in the song and ducked them at the end when the hvy gtrs come in.
    2. worked the drum and bass freq. around 60-100 hz a bit to open them up a little.
    3. fixed a delay on the intro VOX
    4.made the end gtrs just a bit hotter.
    Ok, this time I was able to hear more of what's going on in the music (good thing). These comments are my opinion, and may or may not fit where you are trying to take the song...

When the drums were played, were the cymbals actually louder than everything else in the kit (if you stood in the room with them)? There is at least one spot where I'm hearing quite a bit of half-open hat (a sound I have heard some engineers REALLY complain about), which IMO has a way of taking up a LOT of space in a track without adding much musically. You might experiment with leaving the hat track out of the mix entirely (sometimes there is plenty of hat in the overheads and snare mic leakage). I would try to pull some of the "cardboard" sound out of the kick (probably a dip somewhere around 300 Hz or so). Snare and toms could be a bit fuller and have more impact. I wouldn't mind hearing a little more of the string pad in the beginning (not too much more, though). There is a guitar lick from about 1:34 to 1:37 that could be cheated up a few dB (it's a highlight that deserves a little more attention), and dropped back as the vocal comes in again. At around 1:38 I hear a short dropout in the acoustic guitar. Why? Mix move? Odd edit?

HTH
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Hey Cary the drums are as usual to much symbol's !! the hi hat track is muted and most of the overheads are also , mainly it's the room mic so ???? , maybe I can work that 1 section better.

the thing @ 1:38 is an MP3 artifact it's not on the original ( freakin mp3's huh ?)

Your right about the bridge 1:34-1:37 I;ll give that a boost

I'll also check the kik again ( I thought I had that worked out ? Oh ya my bass player messed with the mix HUMMMMM )

Later
    Buzz

PS: Thanks Again !

Final IMO

http://machineband.com/SummersongFinalmix1.mp3

LAter
    Buzz

PS: Thanks ALL !!!

i can hear chad kroeger(?) singing this, would have prefered a touch more definition on the accousic later in the song though.

yet again, another winner from the buzz thats Mike
    Respect, Regard, Love, Kisses and fish

Iain G Westland
    Padded Cell Records Limited

0796 200 5712

Thanks Lofi , It's a BITCH mixing your own stuff !!! , I don't recommend it

LAter
    Buzz