Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default UAD-1 latency compesation automatic in SAW?

Just saw this in the UAD-1 manual:

"As of this writing, hosts with fully automatic compensation include
    all DirectX hosts, Steinberg Nuendo 2.x/Cubase SX 2.x, and Magix Samplitude
    7.x."

Does this mean if I run the DirectX versions of the plugs in SAW, the compensation will happen automatically? Is the manual not completely accurate?

I'd try it out, but I went to the trouble of installing the VST versions of everything, and I'd rather hear from the expert(s) first.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Default Re: UAD-1 latency compesation automatic in SAW?

From what I understand SAW does no latency compensating at all. That being said I never had any latency with my UAD when I tried it in the SAW demo. I think I was using the DX versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque
    Just saw this in the UAD-1 manual:

"As of this writing, hosts with fully automatic compensation include
    all DirectX hosts, Steinberg Nuendo 2.x/Cubase SX 2.x, and Magix Samplitude
    7.x."

Does this mean if I run the DirectX versions of the plugs in SAW, the compensation will happen automatically? Is the manual not completely accurate?

I'd try it out, but I went to the trouble of installing the VST versions of everything, and I'd rather hear from the expert(s) first.
    It appears that the manual *is* correct! I just did a quick test... running the 1176 on a track and recording it to another track and measuring the offset. With VST plug-ins it is exactly as expected.. 512 samples with my buffer settings in SAWStudio. But, running the latest DX versions (3.60) there was *no* offset.

I don't know when this changed... but I am of course very happy to see this! So... obviously I'll recant on my previous recommendations... definitely try the Direct X versions!

Dave... it's very easy to add these. Just run the UA installer again and uncheck vst (you've already installed them) and check Direct-X versions only. That will add these and they will appear in your SAWStudio plugins folder.

My appologises for any misleading information from me... I had no idea this had been changed, nor when it happened. They certainly didn't behave this way earlier. In any regards... great news. I want to do a bit more testing but it does in fact appear that the latency is compensated for in the Direct X vesions.. wow!

All the best,

perry

Quote Originally Posted by Perry
    They certainly didn't behave this way earlier. In any regards... great news. I want to do a bit more testing but it does in fact appear that the latency is compensated for in the Direct X vesions.. wow!
    Holy smokes! Could it be true??? This may change everything for me... I've ALWAY's preferred using vst versions of plugins (just a personal preference). I can hear the rumble in the distance...

Perry, please keep us informed regarding your further testing. I still haven't picked up a UAD but it is on my list. This new information *may* move it higher up the (very long) list.

Good catch Dave!
    Dave.

Awww man! I got all over not using the uad-1's....

now looks I can buy one or two again The 1176 emu is fantastic, will save me a few 100$ to sell my hardware units and just use the soft... and some unneded a/d conversions.
    Lovingly signed,
    Robert Randolph

Hell, I'm just reading the manual. Jesse actually 'discovered' this unwittingly. And I don't think anyone really took it seriously at first. I'm off to install the DX versions...
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Perry
    It appears that the manual *is* correct!
    Very cool. Thanks for verifying, Perry! Exciting times.

OK, everyone -- group hug!

Dave
    Becket, Massachusetts

Finally,

DirectX has always allowed buffer sizes to be altered. My API native plugs can do that also. VST still has not made that possible, as far as I know.

The SAWStudio engine will absorb the changed buffer sizes and even buffers being withheld, that's how Jons Latency Compensator worked.

Now, perhaps, you can just use the UAD plugins without worrying about latency compensation, which should never have been an issue in the first place, in my opinion. Plugs should never have introduced this problem at all.

Bob L

can we get a few more "tests" just to make sure?

Im gonna go and buy a uad-1 today if this really does work
    Lovingly signed,
    Robert Randolph

Here's what I came up with:

First off -- be careful installing the DX versions if you have current projects that are using the VST versions. Now that I've added the DX versions of the plugs to my system, when I tried to open a project from yesterday using the VST plugs, SAW gave me a message saying the UAD plugs had corruped settings. I don't know why this would happen, since the VST .dll's weren't touched.

Anyway... I ran a VST and a DX instance of the 1176LN on identical audio data on two adjacent tracks. I then did both BuildMixes of each to nearby tracks AND bounces, going through my Ramsa DA7 mixer, to nearby tracks.

VST BuildMix: 128 samples of latency (as expected: twice my buffer size setting of 64 in SAW)
    DX BuildMix: 0 samples of latency (Yessssss!)

VST 'bounce': 150 samples of latency (looks like my DA7 is adding about...)
    DX 'bounce': 22 samples of latency

So there ya go. Looks like we're golden. I'm glad I ran this test; I never considered my console's latency before when doing bounces. Now I know I can just slide the bounced tracks back 22 samples (or toss JMS' latency compensator on those tracks set to 22).

Somebody say 'Amen'.

Too bad about hosing my existing VST plugs, though. Anyone have any ideas about that? Can I save my pre-DX-install sessions?
    Becket, Massachusetts