Close

Default Automatic Pre-roll?

I was wondering if there was some type of automatic “pre-roll” function I am missing during playback.

I edit a lot of dialog and when I make an edit, I click back a second or two and then playback to hear the edit. Is there a way to set a pre-roll so when I start playback it starts the desired amount of time (i.e. 1 second) before the current position?

If not, would anyone else find this to be a useful feature to request? I do ok with the current way, I just thought I would check.

Thanks!
    David Benkert

Default Re: Automatic Pre-roll?

Never thought about this, but I have to admit, in an edl with hundreds of narration edits, this would be very nice.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

this it not a automatic,
    but you could make a 10 sec. grid,
    then when you have made a edit,
    you could hit "G" on the keyboard and
    hit the left arrow key and then the space bar.
    And maybe also turn the auto rewind on.

Sebastian

Did not create a preroll function because I have found that each edit usually requires a slightly different amount of preroll.

I would say turn on the auto-rewind function at the top of the MT and then when you finish the edit, you simply click the cursor in front of the edit and press the right mouse button to start and stop playback across the edit... the cursor will snap back to the same start position each time you toggle and allow you to audition the edit until satisfied. I have found that many edits will require numerous listens to fine tune.

Bob L

Except if you Ctrl-Alt-Left Drag to adjust the splice, the cursor ends up on the splice, so Auto Rewind doesn't "preroll" anymore. No big.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

That's true... so after you adjust the splice you simply click the cursor once at the new location... realize that any preset preroll would most likely also need to be changed after you adjust the splice start point.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stebbeds View Post
    Yes, I think this would be an excellent feature...with an adjustable preference.

Mark
    Yes, I meant to mention with an adjustable preference.

Bob, I see your points and could probably use the auto-rewind for the most part. I don't need this all the time, but when I am tabbing through hundreds of edits to verify/double-check/check others work, etc. it would be nice to tab and playback with a preset pre-roll amount of my choice. In these types of cases, I usually just click back about a second before and playback. If I had a pre-roll set and enabled, I could just tab and playback.

It would definately be desiareable that it be something that can be turned on and off through a menu choice or key-combo (p or ctrl-p or something like that - kind of like turning grid mode on and off.)
    David Benkert

Well... I'll add it to the todo list and look into it.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post

Bob L
    Thanks Bob! If it can't be done or will "bloat" the code, I understand :-)

Thanks for listening!
    David Benkert

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post

Bob L
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com