Close

Default Reverb automation

I guess I'm letting my ignorance show here ... but I'm trying to do some automation with Studio Reverb, and can't seem to make it work. Is Reverb automatable? I have a region where I need the reverb to change at key points. If Studio Reverb can't do it, is there a reverb that will? Or some other way I can accomplish this?

Thanks much.

Roger

Default Re: Reverb automation

I'm afraid the Studio Reverb won't automate - I experienced a similar disappointment. If you want a SAW-native reverb that will, I think Anwida do one. The other alternative is to patch the Studio Reverb into an Aux and automate the sends. That's generally far better unless you need to change the reverb settings mid-song or do something wacky.

Dominic

A machine intensive, but effective way.
    Patch multiple instances into the fx box (pre-post-return channel as you wish).
    Then automate the bypass for each so the verb 1 you want on verse turns on at the beginning and off at the end, leaving enough trail for realism. Verb 2 turns on at the chorus and so forth.
    If the machine has probs due to overhead, you can build mix to file on a different track or layer. Give it a discreet name so you can build and rebuild till it's just right.
    I do this, but it isn't a frequent need. I find I can load many verbs and it's not necessary to build mix to file on those tracks.
    Hope this helps,
    Bud Johnson

The RML Labs Reverberator is based on legacy code from the IQS SAW32/Plus32/Pro Reverberator and as such is not automateable, with no known plans to change this. As mentioned previously, one way to get a decent form of automation using it is to simply place the Reverberator in the a Aux Return channel and automate send, return, pan, fades, etc. via the Aux send and return channel controls.

There are two SAW native reverb plugins that are fully automateable though:
    Spazio from Anwida - http://www.anwida.com/product.asp?pid=25
    which has 5 different reverb types that are all to my ear good to excellent sounding

and the freeware SAWStudio Freeverb from JMS Audioware (based on Jezar's very nice sounding "Freeverb" algorithm) - http://www.jms-audioware.com/ss_freeverb.htm

Best regards,
    Steve Berson

Automating the verb wouldn't work out well anyway because when you change the settings in generall any way, there is a silent reset of all internall buffers before you hear the new settings... so this would only work well in complete silent spots of a mix.

The better way is to automate aux sends... they can be clicked on and off and send levels changed with automation... even pre/post can be automated for special effects... patch a few different reverbs in different auxes and then switch between them... rather than trying to change a chamber midstream on the same verb.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Automating the verb wouldn't work out well anyway because when you change the settings in generall any way, there is a silent reset of all internall buffers before you hear the new settings... so this would only work well in complete silent spots of a mix.

The better way is to automate aux sends... they can be clicked on and off and send levels changed with automation... even pre/post can be automated for special effects... patch a few different reverbs in different auxes and then switch between them... rather than trying to change a chamber midstream on the same verb.

Bob L
    I agree 100%... plus you can use in the aux/reverb patches in line EQ and cross delays more creatively for great effects.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Also, don't forget about building mixes of the different reverb settings to tracks. You'll then have reverb that be be automated with everthing in the mixer channel strip and pitch shifted, delayed, reversed, whatervered . . ... You can do soft edges between two differenet settings for seamless transitions between settings, which is really useful if any of the transitions take place in an exposed area of the mix. ak