Close

Question Drumagog and BFD

Hi,

I have a couple questions and complications for those using SS with Drumagog and BFD. Which I'd like Drumagog to trigger the BFD from the audio tracks.

Using Drumagog 4.10 Platinum and BFD 1.5.46 b10 SS4.0c, AMD64 +3400, 2gb RAM, crappy Audigy 2 Platinum (no recording only mixing at the moment, one day I'll get a good card). XP SP1, minimal install with no Virus scanner, etc... only used this install for DAW.

The questions.
    Which is best use for BFD, DX or VST?
    Which one to use, ALL, STEREO, GROUPS or ULTRA?
    Which should start first, BFD or Drumagog?
    Should it go pre or post?

The issues:
    When I insert Drumagog I can get the track to trigger sounds from within itself. I see levels move, the SS gate open, close, etc... BUT>>>>
    When I then insert BFD (Which definitely s in Drumagog mode) I lose sound on that track, no levels, BUT I DO see the SS gate open and close (Which is odd). It doesn't matter pre or post, same thing.
    Similar behavior with Z,F & W mixer views.
    As soon as I remove BFD levels come back.

I do get the list from BFD in Drumagog when I choose BFD.

Anyone have similar things and any way to overcome them?

Thanx
    DamonD

Default Re: Drumagog and BFD

I think Drumagog likes to just play wave files doesn't it?

Could be wrong though - otherwise it would need to send midi info to BFD.

cheers

mako
    Denis Hillman
    Queensland
    Australia

Question Re: Drumagog and BFD

Hi Mako,

Thanx for the reply.

With the new BFD version and Drumagog Platinum, the WAV's that Drumagog normally trigger its sounds from, are supposed to be able to trigger BFD's.

Anyone ahve a working scenario? And any questions to my first post?

Thanx
    DamonD

I've gotten this to work by triggering BFD through the midi options in Drumagog.
    Be sure to have BFD on a different track than Drumagog.
    Though I got this to work it had too much latency for my taste.
    I later went back and slid each drum hit to line up with the original drum - what a pain in the ass!
    Though Drumagog is one of the best drum triggering plug ins out there it still isn't perfect and the only way to have the hits perfectly lined up is to move them manually.
    I happen to be one of the lucky (unlucky) musicians who is bothered by even the smallest of timing issues.
    It drives me nuts while many of the musicians I'm playing with don't seem to be bothered with it...

5. Default Re: Drumagog and BFD

Does BFD work like Drumcore as in, Drumcore has loops and such or does BFD require midi files for loops or a drummer? Sorry to ask this on here.

i thought that d/gog just used the bfd sample libuary to replace previously recorded drums?
    life will bring what life brings, without rain, sun is a curse

Iain Westland info@paddedcellrecords dot co dot uk

Uk 796 then 200 plus 5712

Quote Originally Posted by AcousticGlue View Post
    Does BFD work like Drumcore as in, Drumcore has loops and such or does BFD require midi files for loops or a drummer? Sorry to ask this on here.
    I've been using both BFD and Drumagog. Both have there place and I've made my own Drumagog sample set from Superior and Sony. Now Drumcore is in a somewhat different class.

You find a groove from it's database and then start to add from there. The demo videos give quick explantion of the workings Link to Drumcore Videos.
    It gets a little scary the way it puts up grooves. If you like BFD, then with DrumCore you send just the midi file to saw.

Soon I'll be getting Drumcore, but not untill after Superior II comes out.

Hap

Quote Originally Posted by Iain Westland View Post
    i thought that d/gog just used the bfd sample libuary to replace previously recorded drums?
    Ya Kind of.

I have a very old version of BFD and made a directory with folders of each drum / cym. I point Drumagog to the folder I would like to use and that's it. If it turns out that it is a good set of samples for the drum, I then make the GOG file to keep those samples together and not lose the samples in the folder. With the fixed latency, it's easy to adjust the location after rendering. (I will bounce the drumagog to a new layer so as to remove the plugin afterwards . Saves CPU space)

Hap