Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Fast talkin' at normal pitch - PITC/PITE

Ya know those super fast talking disclaimers you hear at the end of TV and radio commercials .... The rate of speech is ridiculously fast, but the pitch is almost normal? You hear 'em evertime you turn on the car radio..

How do they do that?

It turns out the technology being used to create those commercial disclaimers is also being employed in the new world of Live Broadcast delays to make up for small deviations on the timeline. (thank you Janet Jackson/Bono/Howard Stern/ etc. etc.. Me if I was ever on a live broadcast )..

I think this is called Pitch Invariant Time Compression and/or Expansion.
    PITC and PITE for short.

I know you know I've used the Vari-Speed/Pitch before (e.g. my SawStudio Forum commercial - ). As far as I know, it always pitches up or down when applied to the selected audio region and I'm not sure of a way to use it to get the desired effect. Speeding up (compressing) and/or slowing down (expanding) the audio while keeping the pitch as close to normal as possible.

What say ye?
    How do they do that?

Digital Dexterity Records

Default Re: Fast talkin' at normal pitch - PITC/PITE

Try the Sonoris Pitch/Time plugin... it does just what you want. Check the third party links on the SAWStudio website.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by tomasino View Post
    I think this is called Pitch Invariant Time Compression and/or Expansion.
    PITC and PITE for short.
    It certainly is a PITE to have to listen to in a commercial.

DanT

4. Default Re: Fast talkin' at normal pitch - PITC/PITE

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Try the Sonoris Pitch/Time plugin... it does just what you want. Check the third party links on the SAWStudio website.

Bob L
    Excellent!
    Thanks Bob.

I looked at the Sonoris page on the Pitch/Time plug and that particular feature wasn't obvious - at least to me...

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    It certainly is a PITE to have to listen to in a commercial.

DanT
    Ear? Elbow?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by tomasino View Post
    Excellent!
    Thanks Bob.

I looked at the Sonoris page on the Pitch/Time plug and that particular feature wasn't obvious - at least to me...

Thanks again!
    Tempo is the parameter which you seek.

There are lots of time compression choice out there. Here's a free one that's a little buggy (don't left-right click!), but often sounds pretty dang good:

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/696.html

Also, Isotope has an algorithm that we're all hoping against hope that Bob will be able to license for use in SAW. It's absolutely the best thing I've heard, by a country mile:

http://www.izotope.com/tech/radius/
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Ear? Elbow?
    Whatever works, really.
    I had to use poetic license to stay on topic.

8. Default Re: Fast talkin' at normal pitch - PITC/PITE

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Tempo is the parameter which you seek.

There are lots of time compression choice out there. Here's a free one that's a little buggy (don't left-right click!), but often sounds pretty dang good:

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/696.html

Also, Isotope has an algorithm that we're all hoping against hope that Bob will be able to license for use in SAW. It's absolutely the best thing I've heard, by a country mile:

http://www.izotope.com/tech/radius/
    Hey thanks! Good to know whats out there.
    I will certainly give these two a look..
    But ya know I love stayin' native in SawStudio..

I have to admit I'm a little embarrassed as I bought the Sonoris Pitch/Time plug months ago 9-27-07 to be exact - as part of the Tomasino Bundle.
    • MultiBand Compressor.
    • the Meter (been real curious to see the K-scale in action).
    • PitchTime - everybody raves about it.
    I've been too enthrawled with the MBComp and theMeter (which both totally rock) to give PitchTime a run.
    Glad it was right there in the toolBox n' I see now why "everybody was raving about it".

Truly a testimony to having more tools at the finger tips than I know what to do with.

Thanks again guys!
    You rule!!!
    Last edited by tomasino; 12-30-2007 at 09:58 AM.

LOVE Sonoris for this, but I've noticed it's a bit glitchy unless you use whole numbers in the Tempo box. Anybody else seen this?
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

It (Sonoris PitchTime) works both ways - Pitch and Time!! The following is a post I submitted to Sonoris Audio Forum a while back. It REALLY saved a LOT of work, and frustration for an associate!

>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Pitchtime saves another session!!

Had an associate, tracking on an Alesis HD24, who recorded instruments awaiting a final vocal tracking session. When the soloist got there, they realized the agreed-to melodic instrumentation was about a half-step lower than the vocalist was able to do well. The HD24 would not picth change the 5 tracks that needed changing enough. In the heat of the battle, I was called to see if I knew anything to help. I took SAWStudio, on my system, to their studio location, Firewired the HD24 tracks into SS, applied Pitchtime, pitched each track, making a new copy of each, firewired them back into the HD24 and the session went without flaw from then on! Now, the studio owner is considering SAWStudio and Sonoris Plugs!! There goes another source of my income!!
    Mountain Media, Inc.