Close

Thread: Waves VST's

Default Waves VST's

I was working on a mix and noticed that the Waves plugins don't automate in SAW ( at least the controls ! ) is this normal ????? or does the automation only work with SAW plugins ???

Later
    Buzz

Default Re: Waves VST's

Quote Originally Posted by mikebuzz View Post
    I was working on a mix and noticed that the Waves plugins don't automate in SAW ( at least the controls ! ) is this normal ????? or does the automation only work with SAW plugins ???

Later
    Buzz
    Automation in SAWStudio only works with SAW native plugins.

You can do a limited form of basic automation for DX and VST plugins by loading multiple instances of the plugin each with different settings into a single track and then automating plugin bypasses.

Anyway - having DX and VST plugins be fully automateable in SAW has been discussed here before and would require extensive recoding by Bob that simply is not reasonable to expect at this point due to MS's and Steinberg's very cludgy API's and due to numerous plugin specific issues that would also crop up. As an alternative I've been one of the most vocal requesters of the ability to automate the loading of vsp & dxp files (SAW's own VST & DX plugin preset file formats). I believe this is definitely on Bob's "To Do" list - but I don't know if this is planned for the 4.1 update or later.

Best regards,
    Steve Berson

Automate! I can't even get a Waves VST to load. I always get a "Trouble loading Plugin" error. What is the work around if you please.
    Sorry for the hijacking the thread Mike.
    Warren @ The Masters Tracks

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    Automate! I can't even get a Waves VST to load. I always get a "Trouble loading Plugin" error. What is the work around if you please.
    Sorry for the hijacking the thread Mike.
    afaik Waves' VST versions are just shells that run over the DX plugin. I've never been able to get them to function well either - they either won't load or slow everything down (in comparison to cpu useage of the same plugin loaded as DX) - and for that reason have only used the Waves DX versions.

Best regards,
    Steve Berson

Warren I believe it has to do with the installation ?? I've heard that before somewhere ?? , try reinstalling them into the directory they want then point SAW to that directory. Waves has to have all of the registry hooks etc. just right I THINK ?????????????

Later
    Buzz

PS: I have'nt noticed a difference between VST and DX as far a cpu load , but I will check now !!!

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSonic View Post
    afaik Waves' VST versions are just shells that run over the DX plugin. I've never been able to get them to function well either - they either won't load or slow everything down (in comparison to cpu useage of the same plugin loaded as DX) - and for that reason have only used the Waves DX versions.

Best regards,
    Steve Berson
    Hey thanks Mike, Steve when I get back to the studio I will retry a as you wish (waves) install, hopefully no burps Thanks again and have a great New Year, God Bless
    Warren @ The Masters Tracks

If we want to use vst versions of Waves' plugins , we have to convert waves vst to standard vst format by using shell2vst.exe . Drag the waveshell-VST_X.X.X.dll to this little program. It'll ask if you accept to creat dll files...... pres "y" & "enter" thus vst.dlls will be created one by one......

http://xlutop.com/buzz/zip/dxshell_v1.01b.zip

Some infos about these wrappers:

- vst 2.4 compatibility
    - therefore support for 32bit and 64bit processing
    - able to run dx plugins in 64bit processing mode if the plugin supports it
    - fully automatable parameters
    - multi-in/out plugins supported
    - the mfx wrapper is quite experimental right now, some mfx plugins will work but others not
    Last edited by Himhui; 01-04-2008 at 10:08 PM.