Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OT - New system blue screen Q

I am in the process of setting up a new machine based on some items here and elsewehre and I am getting a random Blue Screen. I think I have narrowed it down to memory, but I wanted to ask around here to see if you might have any ideas. I know this is nearly impossible to troubleshoot without being here, but...

New system is:
    ASUS P5W DH Deluxe MB
    Intel 9750 Processor
    ASUS 8500 Video Card (based on NVidia I think)
    4GB (4 x 1GB) Corsair XMS2-8500 Memory
    WD SATA Hard drives

When I have 2 GB in, it works fine with no crashes. When I add 1GB, it seems to be fine (not too much testing), but it goes to Assymetrical memory instead of Interleaved (does tha tmake a big difference?) When I add the 4th 1GB, it boots and runs for a bit, but then crashes with the blue screen. My understanding is that XP only recognizes 3gb anyway so maybe I should send this memory back and put in 2 x 512 to get to 3gb.

OK, I hope this is enough info - I got most fo the stuff from Newegg and I am sure I can return items if needed - I just thought I would check here first to see if it looks like a memory issue to most of you too.

Thanks for ANY insight!

David

EDIT: I forgot to note that the only software installed is the OS (Win XP) and it happended with SP1 and SP2. I have not installed anything else like SAW, RME drivers, etc.) Basically an initial install.
    Last edited by DBenkert; 12-31-2007 at 10:40 AM.
    David Benkert

Default Re: OT - New system blue screen Q

David,

Can you try running the machine for an extended period of time with only 2GB installed? If you run it for days without a blue screen you'll know for sure it's memory related.

If it runs fine and you don't really need more than 2GB you can just leave it. If you do need more memory then you could try other options (what about 2 x 2GB?). Personally I haven't needed more than 2GB but I don't run any VSTi's yet.

I have the same mb with a q6600 proc and a different video card. 2GB OCZ memory and no blue screens yet. XP pro sp2.

What about video card drivers? Isn't that 8800 pretty bleeding edge?

Good luck. I'm blown away with this rig myself so I hope you can work the kinks out.

Thanks David - I have had it setup for a few days, but not running anything too much really. With 2GB, no problems. I was getting intermittent issues with the 4GB and then some serious one's so that is when I went down to 2 GB. I tried re-installing to 4 GB today and got a blue screen after about 10 minutes while downloading some driver updates.

Perry, you out there? This memory and MB setup was based on something I think you built around June (I created a Newegg wishlist based on some items ) - I am using the Corsair Dominator memory. Have you gone to 4GB with it? If so, did you need to change any bios settings?
    David Benkert

Wndows XP is limited to 4GB of RAM, both Home and Professional editions according to Mricorsoft, although there seems to be some contention among users about how much can really be seen in practice, dependant on number of PCI devices, and often Windows reports 3.25 GB. There is also a /3GB switch and a /PAE switch but I don't know what in (boot.ini??). It sounds like you are hitting a common problem though. You could try 64bit XP or Vista? Dunno if SAW runs ok on 64bit though.

Dominic

It looks like it might be a RAM slot issue - is that "possible"? I guess anything is.

I have tried combinations of memory and when I place the 4th GB in slot B2, it starts giving me grief.

I have tried this same module in another slot and it seems to run fine.

Anyone ever heard of this? I think I will give Newegg a a call, but thought I would see if anyone over heard of this.
    David Benkert

Could be the MoBo slot, could be the memory DIMM. Anything's possible, and the only way of know ing for sure is to try the memory in another PC with the same setup - not practical here. Unfortunately, it could also be the BIOS or the OS. Sorry.

If it works with the first two DIMMs in the first two slots and it works with the second two DIMMs in the first two slots, then you can rule out the DIMMs.

Have you tried reducing the clock speed in the BIOS? Slow the CPU and FSB and memory slots down a bit and see if it suddenly goes.

Are all the memory DIMMs the same? Check the numbers closely.

Otherwise, it's probably an OS thing. From what I read in the forums, looks like serious crashes from trying to use 4GB is not uncommon. What exactly do you need 4GB for??

Dominic

Thanks Dom - I will try that out. I have tried the 4 different modules in different slots and it seems to be the last one giving me grief. I will try some more combos.

Why do I need 4GB...hmmm, greed I think :-) Seriously, I am pretty sure I don't need it for most of waht I do, but I just wanted to keep is symmetrical and wanted to try more than 2. I wanted to try using Region Memory Caching as well and I thought this might help.

All modules are the same brand and speed.
    David Benkert

David,

I have a similar setup that I just made in November:

ASUS P5K Deluxe MB
    E6850 Core2Duo Processor
    8600 Video Card Fanless
    4GB (4 x 1GB) Corsair Dominator PC8500 Memory
    TNN500AF case

I installed a dual boot with XP and Vista64 and was also getting the BSOD with little software installed. I didn't get it in Vista64, only XPSP2. Since the system has absolutely no fans, I thought it might be due to heat. However, all of the system tests came out fine.

I updated my video drivers from ASUS and also MSI. I also updated the Raid controller (which the P5K has built in) and my BSOD went away.

Now, I have been gone during the month of December, but for the last week of Nov, and the first week of Jan. I have had no problems.

Hope something here helps with your problem. Mine was not RAM related.

PS. -- Since I have the XP and Vista64 dual boot, I'm setting up SawStudio on both and I'll do a couple of 1:1 shootouts on identical projects to see what (if any) performance differences there are between the two OS.
    . . . _ _ _ . . .
    Brent Bennett
    Green Roof Recording
    Nashville, TN

"Well done is better than well said" - Ben Franklin

anatholi Guest

I found this on crucial.com
    since I´m on my way to install some more ram
    (have 1 gig) and I need more.

I did a test on my computer there
    and the answer I got was that they reccomend to install max 3 gig
    not 4 gig even if there´s room for it
    I´m on Windows Xp (32 bit)

Hope it´s some help

Peace

Anatholi

Why doesn't my Windows® PC recognize the whole 4GB of memory I installed?

The maximum amount of memory that your system can use is actually limited in two ways — not only is there a maximum amount of memory that your computer motherboard can accept, there is also a maximum amount of memory that your operating system (OS) can accept.

For instance, when you install 4GB of memory in a 32-bit Windows system (the most common version; 64-bit systems are typically used only by high-end users), your system will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. Is the problem bad memory?

Relax, there isn't a problem with the memory. Windows allows for 4GB of memory to be addressed, but this isn't 100 percent the same as having 4GB of physical memory.

What happens is that some of the addressable memory (regardless of how much you have physically installed) is reserved for use by page files or by some of the devices that you are using, such as a graphics card, PCI card, integrated network connections, etc., so it's unavailable for use as normal main memory.

The amount of memory needed for these devices is calculated by your system at startup; if you haven't maxed out the memory in your system, it's invisible to you, and all your physical memory (the RAM that's installed) is available for use. However if you've maxed out the DRAM in your system, this amount will be deducted from your physical memory, so you can't use 100% of your DRAM.

The maximum memory limitation varies by operating system; for instance, the 4GB memory limitation doesn't exist in 64-bit versions of Windows.

Memory maximums for current Microsoft® Windows OSs include:

• Windows XP Home: 4GB
    • Windows XP Professional: 4GB
    • Windows XP 32-bit: 4GB
    • Windows XP 64-bit: 128GB
    • Windows Vista Home Basic: 4GB
    • Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit: 8GB
    • Windows Vista Home Premium: 4GB
    • Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit: 16GB
    • Windows Vista Ultimate: 4GB
    • Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit: 128GB+
    • Windows Vista 32-bit: 4GB
    • Windows Vista 64-bit: 128GB+

I'm running 4 gigs of Crucial Ballistix in an Gigabyte MB with E6750 Intel P35 CHipset O.C .'d to 3.2GHz. Windows reports 3.5 gigs- on XP SP2-no issues here. I like the extra ram for vsti's & it's rediculously cheap now.

You may be having a driver problem,-raid/sata setup issues but check to make sure your Bios is set correctly too- mem timing, buss, all that good stuff. If you are pushing the ram too fast it may be getting fussy as you load it up.

Good luck with it!