Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default OT: Temporary Internet Files

So, I'm looking around my C: drive, trying to clear out unneeded files. I come across C:\Documents and Settings\Dave\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files and it's got, like, 1.4 GB of stuff in it! Dat ain't right! I delete a bunch of stuff. Then there appear to only remain about 200 files, most at 1 KB, with a few getting as big as 30 KB or so. I'm bummed because I can't see data on number of selected files and file size totals in the info bar at the bottom of Windows Explorer, like for other folders. Then I right-click on the parent folder (\Temporary Internet Files) and select Properties to see how much space I've cleared. Hardly any! There's still around 1.4 GB of data, and it indicates over 7000 files and 25 folders! All I can see is about 200 files, as I said.

What's up with this? I've got all the options I can find (Tools/Folder Options/View) set to show all hidden files, etc. Dang.

Interestingly, when I click on the next parent folder up (/Local Settings) the right pane shows the /Temporary Internet Files folder icon is lighter than the rest. Same with /Application Data. Is there some way to undo this double-secret-probation setting for these folders if I want to?
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 01-02-2008 at 06:32 PM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Default Re: OT: Temporary Internet Files

The bulk of your wasted space in this directory is contained in a hidden file. I think it's a .DAT file.

I believe the ONLY way you can delete it is by exiting out of Windows and rebooting into DOS (!!! - Yikes!!).

You'll find it difficult to get to the exact path, so open your Temp Internet Files directory and copy down the path name. Then you'll have to retype it in a DOS window.

But be sure to completely exit out of Windows first. You can't do it by simply opening a DOS window within Windows.

Note to Mac people: don't smirk!!

Ira

Dave - I realized that I don't know what version of Windows or Internet Explorer you are using. I've done a search in the Microsoft Knowledge Base. Here is one Knowledge Base (KB) article that might help you delete the file: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306837

There are others, too, that relate to older versions of IE.

I hope this is helpful.
    Ira
    Last edited by IraSeigel; 01-02-2008 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Added some information

Quote Originally Posted by IraSeigel View Post
    The bulk of your wasted space in this directory is contained in a hidden file. I think it's a .DAT file.

I believe the ONLY way you can delete it is by exiting out of Windows and rebooting into DOS (!!! - Yikes!!).

You'll find it difficult to get to the exact path, so open your Temp Internet Files directory and copy down the path name. Then you'll have to retype it in a DOS window.

But be sure to completely exit out of Windows first. You can't do it by simply opening a DOS window within Windows.

Note to Mac people: don't smirk!!

Ira
    Any chance this DAT file is of interest to me/my system? What about the 7000 other files and odd folders? Should they show up there, too?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Any chance this DAT file is of interest to me/my system? What about the 7000 other files and odd folders? Should they show up there, too?
    No, it can be deleted, and IE will start a new DAT file.

I say this based on your statement that the file resides in your Temporary Internet Files directory.

There's some blogging about it containing a record of every website you've ever visited. Don't know about that. But I KNOW it can be eliminated safely.

Ira

I don't know if this is related, but there is a setting in IE that allegedly controls how much drive space is allocated to temp files. Find it under Tools, Internet Options, General tab, Browsing History, Settings button. See if lowering the space allocation tames the beast any.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Just deletes those folders inside temp internet files. IE will create new ones when you re-open IE
    Figuring out how the House M.D. character was developed.
    Macarena Ain't Noise Pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stebbeds View Post
    Dave, are you using IE? I'm on Firefox, so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. Also, this Windows installation is only about two months old.

Mark
    It has EVERYTHING to do with it!! Wow, that's reason enough for me to switch to Firefox. Getting rid of the Index.dat in IE is truly a nightmare. Just using the delete buttons in IE|Tools|Internet Options|General will NOT delete the Index.dat file. AFAIK, it MUST be done in DOS.

Ira

Get Opera. Better zooming handling & no annoying updates everytime you open the browser and that useful open tab/window in background funtion using the mouse's middle button which I wouldn't know how to surf without it.
    Last edited by Pedro Itriago; 01-03-2008 at 05:11 AM.
    Figuring out how the House M.D. character was developed.
    Macarena Ain't Noise Pollution.

You can get rid of the dat file with a file shredder like BestCrypt or Acronis. The biggest problem is that IE uses it to see if it has been to the page before, and then looks for the page in the cache, even if the page has been deleted, producing a double delay. Magnificent programming.

Bring back DOS.

Dominic

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Itriago View Post
    Just deletes those folders inside temp internet files. IE will create new ones when you re-open IE
    As mentioned by others, switch to Firefox! I do not now use IE at all except on the rare occasion when a website DEMANDS it, and in that case I first ask myself if I really NEED that particular website.

Also, it is wise to ditch Outlook Express in favor of Thunderbird.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com