Close

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: OT: Temporary Internet Files

A recent survey said that about 1 in 10 websites do not adhere to standards, and only work with IE, using proprietary MS technology. Whilst this is pretty outrageous, 10% of websites not working is a real PITA. I won't reward MS by giving them any of my money ever again, but IE is free. all you can do is badger the companies which have 'faulty' websites when you find Firefox doesn't work. It's not a very practical proposition, life is too short.

Dominic

Quote Originally Posted by DominicPerry View Post
    A recent survey said that about 1 in 10 websites do not adhere to standards, and only work with IE, using proprietary MS technology. Whilst this is pretty outrageous, 10% of websites not working is a real PITA. I won't reward MS by giving them any of my money ever again, but IE is free.
    First of all, I almost NEVER find a website that won't "play nice" with Firefox. 1 in 10 seems like a very exaggerated statistic, and I wonder who was behind said survey (couldn't be MS, could it??). Second, I don't uninstall IE, I simply make Firefox my default browser. I still have the option of using IE on the rare occasion that I may need it. So, switching to Firefox will not do any harm, and will likely do some real good, and you don't have to lose the availability of IE to do that.

Best of both worlds, yes?
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

I'm sorry, I can't find the reference to corroborate my figures. If it's less than 10%, that's good news. Microsoft needed to be punished for their anti-competitive actions by bundling IE with the OS, and in the EU they have been. I have no idea how Firefox or Opera or anyone else makes money out of writing an alternative browser though. MS makes money out of producing an all in one integrated package, and in that regard you get your money's worth.

Dominic

A recent survey said that about 1 in 10 websites do not adhere to standards, and only work with IE, using proprietary MS technology. Whilst this is pretty outrageous, 10% of websites not working is a real PITA. I won't reward MS by giving them any of my money ever again, but IE is free. all you can do is badger the companies which have 'faulty' websites when you find Firefox doesn't work. It's not a very practical proposition, life is too short.

Dominic
    I have to wonder if the stat was actually 1 in 10 sites don't adhere to standards. FF will render sites 'properly' even if they don't follow the w3c standards.
    -Craig

I'm sorry, I can't find the reference to corroborate my figures. If it's less than 10%, that's good news. Microsoft needed to be punished for their anti-competitive actions by bundling IE with the OS, and in the EU they have been.
    The same should be done with mac.

I have no idea how Firefox or Opera or anyone else makes money out of writing an alternative browser though. MS makes money out of producing an all in one integrated package, and in that regard you get your money's worth.

Dominic
    Ads & direct funding by "supporters"
    Last edited by Pedro Itriago; 01-03-2008 at 04:31 PM.
    Figuring out how the House M.D. character was developed.
    Macarena Ain't Noise Pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Itriago View Post
    Just deletes those folders inside temp internet files. IE will create new ones when you re-open IE
    The folders don't appear. Only a couple hundred files do, despite the fact that there are 7000 of them (and some folders).
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    As mentioned by others, switch to Firefox! I do not now use IE at all except on the rare occasion when a website DEMANDS it, and in that case I first ask myself if I really NEED that particular website.

Also, it is wise to ditch Outlook Express in favor of Thunderbird.
    I do use Firefox. I only use IE when I have to. I don't use Outlook Express.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    I don't know if this is related, but there is a setting in IE that allegedly controls how much drive space is allocated to temp files. Find it under Tools, Internet Options, General tab, Browsing History, Settings button. See if lowering the space allocation tames the beast any.
    Good idea. Tried it. Nothing so far. Maybe I need to reboot?

There's also options in there to delete stuff. Maybe I'll try that.

Still irritating that there things are hidden despite my Windows Explorer settings.

Ahem... but, thanks. I'll let you know if things disappear on a reboot. Unless I find another way to zap 'em first...
    Becket, Massachusetts

Inside IE
    Tools -> Internet Options -> Delete Files.

This gets rid of most of the bulky stuff, but not the .dat file.
    You can also elect to delete the cookies - if you do, you will have to log back into websites which you previously logged into, like this one!

Dominic

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stebbeds View Post
    Hmmm. I just cleaned mine out as well, although the folder is named "temp", not "temporary internet files", for whatever Windows reason. There were no hidden or .dat files at all. So now it has zero files with zero space used.

Dave, are you using IE? I'm on Firefox, so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. Also, this Windows installation is only about two months old.

Mark
    \

I use FF mostly, IE, occasionally, as needed for certain sites. My Bank (Bank of America) has told me on more than one occasion that the don't support FireFox. It still works in FF so far as I can tell, but it doesn't remember my user ID. IE does, so I favor it.

It's odd how my user ID is remembered by IE and not FF for some sites, but the opposite is true for other sites. I just don't want to take the time to play with cookies and stuff for each of these occurrences. So, I suffer IE now and again.
    Becket, Massachusetts