Close

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default Re: OT: Temporary Internet Files

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stebbeds View Post
    ...and you may be right about the POP protocol with the "leave messages on server" option being a better choice.
    Mark,

This is my choice. At the office, I pull the files down and my laptop and home compters are set to leave messages on the server. Works great for me.

I used to send the messages back to myselfe but caught myself checking the mail again and haveing to send it to myself again ... I'm not going to bother admitting how many times!

Quote Originally Posted by bcorkery View Post
    Mark,

This is my choice. At the office, I pull the files down and my laptop and home compters are set to leave messages on the server. Works great for me.

I used to send the messages back to myselfe but caught myself checking the mail again and haveing to send it to myself again ... I'm not going to bother admitting how many times!
    Been there.

One more note to my "system" is that if I leave town for any length of time (i.e., enough time that I don't want to have to deal with re-reading and re-filing all the emails sent to me while I was away), at the end of the last in-office day, I move my desktop outlook.pst file (the one that has all the current stuff in it) to my laptop. That way my laptop "becomes" my office email machine while I'm away, including the setting to delete messages from the server. When I get home, I move that PST file back to the desktop system, and Bob's your uncle.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

My problem remains having all emails available on all machines, so I think I'll switch back to POP everywhere, and experiment with the number of days things stay on my server.

Problem is, I don't necessarily go to the studio every day if I'm doing other business out of the home office.

I'll probably go crazy trying to delete everything I don't need off of multiple machines, but modifying the POP seems like less work than modifying IMAP.

Mark
    How 'bout just leaving 'em all up on the server. Organize and file them there. Archive them there. Let one machine back it all up in case of catastrophe. But there'd be no need for synchronizing the various machines, etc. Though, you'd no doubt lose some nice features of a nice email client... unless you could set up all machines to mirror that server all the time.

Just thinkin' out loud here...
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

My problem remains having all emails available on all machines, so I think I'll switch back to POP everywhere, and experiment with the number of days things stay on my server.

Problem is, I don't necessarily go to the studio every day if I'm doing other business out of the home office.

I'll probably go crazy trying to delete everything I don't need off of multiple machines, but modifying the POP seems like less work than modifying IMAP.

Mark
    I've been thinking that you might consider keeping your email application on a laptop that you take with you wherever you go. It sounds like mostly you're at two locations, the studio and home. But even if you go to other studios, hotels, Starbucks, etc., you can usually find a wireless access point. A laptop would keep all of your received and sent messages with you. I think you've written that you have a laptop, no?
    Last edited by Ian Alexander; 01-07-2008 at 08:54 PM.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com