Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Problem when using SRP to Record a marked area

When recording (punching in), I prefer to mark an area and use ERP to start playback a few seconds before the marked area. What occasionally happens is that, the moment I press the ERP button, the Left Edge of the marked area jumps to the current cursor position (line) and recording starts straight away. Oops! Once that behaviour occurs, the only way out seems to be closing and re-opening SawStudio.
    What I have noticed is that this only happens when previously I mark the start of the area by pressing ‘B’ during playback to determine the punch in location. As this is a very convenient way of setting the next punch in location.
    Is there something I am doing wrong? or is there a way to get out of the this habit.

Robert V.

Default Re: Problem when using SRP to Record a marked area

Quote Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
    When recording (punching in), I prefer to mark an area and use ERP to start playback a few seconds before the marked area. What occasionally happens is that, the moment I press the ERP button, the Left Edge of the marked area jumps to the current cursor position (line) and recording starts straight away. Oops! Once that behaviour occurs, the only way out seems to be closing and re-opening SawStudio.
    What I have noticed is that this only happens when previously I mark the start of the area by pressing ‘B’ during playback to determine the punch in location. As this is a very convenient way of setting the next punch in location.
    Is there something I am doing wrong? or is there a way to get out of the this habit.

Robert V.
    Not sure if this is the problem, Robert, but are you also marking the end of the area during playback? if you hit B during playback, you also have to hit the E key during playback, otherwise SS will keep starting the marked area from wherever the cursor starts. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Jay
    Planet Earth is an incredible gift. It's our one and only home, yet we're slowly killing it and, in the process, killing ourselves. Think about the world you want your children to live in. Please think "preservation", not "plunder".

Yes... that is correct... once you begin an active mark during playback, you must finish it with the E-Key.

I just modified the code for this next update that automatically resets that condition now when playback is stopped.

Bob L

I was just going to ask a related question. Is there a way to extend the punch out point (marked area) AFTER you have either begun recording or hit play in the SRP? I can see this being a very useful feature in the following instances:
    1. Singer was just going to fix 1st half of chorus, but the take is going very well and it makes sense to punch the whole chorus.
    2. Incompetant SAW operator meant to be in regular record mode and not punch in/out mode and recording ends in the middle of the world's best take.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Yes... that is correct... once you begin an active mark during playback, you must finish it with the E-Key.

I just modified the code for this next update that automatically resets that condition now when playback is stopped.

Bob L
    Nice to hear Bob. This will cure some of my accidental key hits when I meant to tap the spacebar but caught the B key in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Grekim View Post
    I was just going to ask a related question. Is there a way to extend the punch out point (marked area) AFTER you have either begun recording or hit play in the SRP? I can see this being a very useful feature in the following instances:
    1. Singer was just going to fix 1st half of chorus, but the take is going very well and it makes sense to punch the whole chorus.
    2. Incompetant SAW operator meant to be in regular record mode and not punch in/out mode and recording ends in the middle of the world's best take.

quickly punch back in (hit the Enter key). You'll lose a little but maybe you'll get luck and it will be in between phrases or it will be something you can then go back and punch to fix.

or just set up to punch by "hand" instead of using marked areas. punch in on the early side (trim later) and punch out only when sure.
    Erik Friedlander
    ----------------------------------------------
    www.erikfriedlander.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post

Bob L
    Bob, are you saying we will no longer have to hit E in playback to get out of this marking mode? That would be great. Thanks!
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Yes... you can press E to end it while playback continues... or if you stop playback it ends the mark there.

Bob L

Bob
    Great..Thanks!

RobertV

Quote Originally Posted by Grekim View Post
    The good news is that it IS nondestructive. If you overshoot the punch end, just drag your new punch ending to the left, drag the beginning of the existing region (that you just 'recorded over') to the left, and you've repaired it. Whew.

And actually it's better to overshoot than punch out early. Overshooting between two vocal lines gives you the existing breath, and the new breath, and you can decide which one to use, or fade down and use none at all. Punching out early kills the end of the last word, and possibly any ambience, giving it an abrupt cut sound.

It wasn't so forgiving in the 24tk tape days

Cheers,
    Scott
    Last edited by studio-c; 01-26-2008 at 12:10 PM.