Close

1. Default Record track 1 and play in live mode track 2

I am recording a mic on track 1 using a M-Audio Firewire Solo. The inputs on this thing are confusing me a bit because input 1 is xlr but it is the left side signal. Input 2 is a 1/4 in instrument but it is the right side signal. How can I set SAW to see input 1 and record it mono and see input 2 but play it in live mode? I want to play my bass guitar thru SAW to take advantage of the VST's. I won't necessarily be foing both at the same time but will need to be able to switch over on the fly at a moments notice.

Default Re: Record track 1 and play in live mode track 2

go to the top of the e mixer, theres a mono button there, press it then click just to the top left of the letter M and you get an options box, select left or right.

then go to the input source (very top) and select the inputs as you want (track 1 multitrack, track two whichever your di is coming in on)

now i have confussed you even more i will let somebody else give a clearer answer

Iain
    Respect, Regard, Love, Kisses and fish

Iain G Westland
    Padded Cell Records Limited

0796 200 5712

Like LoFi said :Click I/A -On Track 1 set to Input 1-2 then click the Mono switch and select Left Only. OnTrack 2 set to Input 1-2 then set Mono switch to Right Only-
    Hmm I hope we haven't really confused you now!- Oh, by all means do both at the same time! That's what SAW's all about!
    Last edited by jazzboxmaker; 02-10-2008 at 04:28 PM.

You do not need to use live mode channel assignments to record any left or right signal and monitor it... since 4.0 you can simply use the Tape-Style monitoring options... then just arm a track for record and click the record meter input zone to select a mono device source... select left or right, then you can Rec/Rdy to activate the live signals and adjust monitoring levels... or start SRP to hear playback of previous tracks while recording the new tracks, once you press record.

Bob L

5. Default Re: Record track 1 and play in live mode track 2

LoFi and Jazzbox thanks a million. I actually stumbled onto that part just minutes after I posted this thread.

Bob Thanks also for your input. I am still a little lost on the second part. Basically what I am doing is recording one mic that is being used by the minister preaching in our church. This part is easy since I don't necessarily need to monitor anything. My problem is trying to make saw record track 1 but not produce a live sound, yet also produce a live sound on track 2 but not record it.

6. Default Re: Record track 1 and play in live mode track 2

Another question I have concerning record is tonight the mic kept clipping my interface even with the gain all the way down. Can this be adjusted elsewhere so as not to distort the track. It's a Shure Wireless and I have the gain switch (toggles into 2 positions not mouch room for adjustment) in its lowest setting.

Guys plain and simple I am new to the world of automated recording. I spent some of my younger years engineering in an analog studio before Adat was even popular so much of the new technology blows my mind simply because I have been out of the studio scene since the mid '90s. I am having an absolute blast learning it though in spite of the learning curve I face.
    Bassthumper

Quote Originally Posted by bassthumper View Post
    My problem is trying to make saw record track 1 but not produce a live sound, yet also produce a live sound on track 2 but not record it.
    first record it, you can deleat it after and you can never have enough takes / practice.

but in answer to the above, hit mute on track one, and use Bobs tape style, its great, i just have freind who uses the studio the way your going about it hence the reply, but less fuss with tape style

Iain

Iain G Westland

0796 200 5712

Another question I have concerning record is tonight the mic kept clipping my interface even with the gain all the way down. Can this be adjusted elsewhere so as not to distort the track. It's a Shure Wireless and I have the gain switch (toggles into 2 positions not mouch room for adjustment) in its lowest setting.
    up where the mute button is is the attenuator, try that, but a pad between mic and input would be better. or maybe some mic lessons for your preacher, the clips are probubally plosives?

Iain

Iain G Westland

0796 200 5712

9. Default Re: Record track 1 and play in live mode track 2

Quote Originally Posted by lofi studios View Post
    up where the mute button is is the attenuator, try that, but a pad between mic and input would be better. or maybe some mic lessons for your preacher, the clips are probubally plosives?

Iain
    The clips are definitely plosives............
    Bassthumper

The clips are definitely plosives............
    Yup... you definitely need to teach that preacher! He needs to repent of his evil microphone usage habits. If he is indeed teachable, you may yet work the miracle of healing the plosive problem at the source! Of course you could always quote that scripture about "the tongue can no man tame!"... just be certain your minister has a sense of humor before you try it...
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com