Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default AD DA best bang 4 the buck

I know the ada2000 are very economical-acceptable.
    But for 8 channels of a "lil better breed" converter, what would the next rung be? In any config, meaning maybe 8 channels of AD in on one box, and 8 channels of DA out in another. If they have mic pre s cool. OK if not.
    I can spend $2-10K as easily as the next guy, but I'm hoping there are options in between?
    Are there?

Default Re: AD DA best bang 4 the buck

I am contemplating buying one of these for some upcoming live recording via SAW using a laptop http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/Fi...re12/index.php

No digital inputs or preamp however 12 in and out channels via firewire interests me.

The first converter I purchased was an Echo AudiFire 8. I was not happy with its feel at all - the knobs felt less than high quality, and there were some other things I didn't like about it, too. So I sent it back.

You'll be able to do fine with PreSonus, M-Audio, RME, Focusrite, and others.

Ira

Quote Originally Posted by IraSeigel View Post
    The first converter I purchased was an Echo AudiFire 8. I was not happy with its feel at all - the knobs felt less than high quality, and there were some other things I didn't like about it, too. So I sent it back.

You'll be able to do fine with PreSonus, M-Audio, RME, Focusrite, and others.

Ira
    Thanks Ira, I shall check them out

24 I/O at a bargain?

SSL-Soundscape iBox 48-TA (AFN-022) 24 inputs and 24 outputs Digital - 24 balanced analogue inputs and outputs $1875.00 USD

Details:

Versatile multiple input/output and format conversion unit. 1 x TDM expansion port for connection to a Mixpander. 3 x TDIF ports providing 24 inputs and 24 outputs at up to 48kHz, and 12/24 inputs and 12/24 outputs at up to 96kHz. 24 x balanced analogue inputs and outputs at up to 96kHz on sub-D connectors. 1875.00 USD

http://www.ssl-soundscape.com/ (online shop/products)

You can add the Mixpander soundcard for $1495.00 USD and with that you have the full 24 digital I/O (via TDIF) PLUS 24 analog I/O and an incredible amount of versatility. Otherwise you will need a TDIF based soundcard and/or lightpipe to TDIF conversion to hook up the Soundscape iBox and you'll have 24 analog I/O available.

OR.. you can go for the full SSL version that has lightpipe built in.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AlphaLinkAX/

24 I/O in one box!

Cheers,

Perry
    Last edited by Perry; 03-06-2008 at 12:02 AM.

You might look at the Lynx Aurora .

Bill

7. Default Re: AD DA best bang 4 the buck

If you dont mind firewire, the RME fireface 800 is the best you can find in that range and runs $1500 give or take a little. The converters are as good as any and its pretty much glitch free with any program.

Quote Originally Posted by strat1376 View Post
    If you dont mind firewire, the RME fireface 800 is the best you can find in that range and runs $1500 give or take a little. The converters are as good as any and its pretty much glitch free with any program.
    Ditto. And their user forum and newsgroup are very good, with active participation from the lads at RME. Can't go wrong with RME.

As opposed to TOFU... er, rather MOTU.

Ira

I second the Soundscape box. If you would rather have 24 ADAT lightpipe you may still find some of the pre-SSL branded ones. Contact Sydec directly if you want to go that route (it would be cheaper than the SSL version but SSL have tweaked the product).

You could consider the SonicCore (formerly Creamware) A16 Ultra or A16 XLR. They are a good buy for 16ch ADDA. http://www.sonic-core.net/en/products/proaudio.html

For bang for buck I think the new Profire 2626 looks good: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...2626-main.html

If you are interested in used converters, I have some Swissonic ones I may sell but they are 4ch AD (AD96) and 4ch DA (DA96). They have ADAT and AES/EBU. I also have an older 8ch DA (Swissonic) you could have for $100. It's the DA24 mkII with ADAT to 8 balanced XLR. PM me if you're interested in any of this.

Thank You everyone for providing a plethora of options. I quickly ran down them all and got myself thoroughly confused.
    What I'm planning to do is replace my D8b that has been functioning as 24 channel ADDA, and a big headphone mixer, and a huge paper weight since I stopped mixing OTB 6 yrs ago. That is least once SAC is stable.

Planning ahead, I want something I can take live also. I don't see myself needing more than 16 trks live, but I always plan for expansion.
    I think I have it narrowed down to M-Audio and/or RME. That was until David mentioned the Sydec option, and I totally forgot about Creamware. I actually own a couple of Pulsar cards.
    I need to get out a pen and paper and do a comparison chart. I also found an out of production 8 channel AD (no pre s) from RME. Around $300! Behringers may remain the best $/convenient option for live. Not what I want in the studio though.
    Presently in the studio I go from D8b > Z-Sys > RME-9652. For live, I'll cross that laptop when I come to it.
    David, I'll PM you if that's the way I go.
    Thanks to all, I'll advise when I'm smarter!