Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default SAC interface reports...

Here's what I've tried in SAC and the average workable latencies. Main systems are a 3.6ghz p4 on p4p800 w/4gb, and new macbook pro core 2 duo 2.6ghz, 4gb ram and bootcamp 2.0

ASIO unless otherwise noted. 24/48khz

*Alesis io26 2x256
    Edirol ua-1000 1x128
    Motu Fast Track (usb, pro and ultra have all be tried) 3x128
    Motu 896 (not HD) 2x128
    RME fireface 1x64, prefer 2x64. 1x128 at 96khz
    MOTU Traveller 1x64, 1x128 at 96khz
    Motu Ultralight 3x128
    M-Audio lightbridge 3x64
    Macbook pro ASIO4all 2x256
    Presonus Firestudio 1x512

*I've had some minor issues with BSOD with the alesis drivers. I would avoid that interface currently.

The best working interfaces, in my experience, are in bold.

Feel free to post your experiences as well
    Last edited by AudioAstronomer; 04-04-2008 at 07:07 AM.
    Lovingly signed,
    Robert Randolph

Default Re: SAC interface reports...

Gigabyte K8NNXP AMD3200 1Gig ram

RME PCI - Digiface - ADA8000
    Works at 64x2 but slips buffers - sometimes bad enough to cause a delay effect of around 600ms.

RME 9632 - works well @ 64x2 but slips over time (20 mins).

LynxOne - rock solid @ 64x2

I hope to get back to the RME stuff today for more testing.

mako
    Denis Hillman
    Queensland
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by mako View Post
    LynxOne - rock solid @ 64x2
    Wow! This is the 2nd mention I've read of LynxOne getting this low. I've never trusted mine to get too low in SAW. Great news!

4. Default Re: SAC interface reports...

Quote Originally Posted by AudioAstronomer View Post
    Here's what I've tried in SAC and the average workable latencies. Main systems are a 3.6ghz p4 on p4p800 w/4gb, and new macbook pro core 2 duo 2.6ghz, 4gb ram and bootcamp 2.0

ASIO unless otherwise noted. 24/48khz

MOTU Traveller 1x64, 1x128 at 96khz

The best working interfaces, in my experience, are in bold.

Robert - regarding the Traveler - was it tested on the PC or the Macbook? If on the PC - which version driver did you use?

Thanks!

Dave
    Recordable Media Services

ASUS B533-E Mobo, Intel 2.6MHz P4, 1Gb RAM, XP Home Edition W/SP1 (old system)

RME DIGI 9652 as Inputs (ADAT x3)

LynxONE as Output (Analog x2)

Using Std MM Dvr

Using Alesis HD24 for Input Device W/2Hrs of 22-Tracks Previously Recorded Live Concert

24-Input Tracks being fed from HD24 (2-Null Input)
    All 24 SAC Inputs set with EQ and Comp on each channel (just for testing)

(I'm feeding analog out from HD24 to External Mixer, mixed to 2-track fed into a small mixer feeding Monitors. Two other channels of small mixer feeds Monitors with 2-track from LynxONE - (used to check for slip between HD24 output and SAC output)

Two hours runs without any aural glitching or buffer re-syncs/drops at 2x64
    W/less than 26-27% CPU load

Two hours runs w/out glitching or drops at 4x32 at about 48-50% CPU load

Buffers at 1x64, occasional aural glitches (didn't run long enough to check buffer drops)

Sure impresses me, considering a 5-6 Year old system!

I know this wasn't the setup that had meter issues, but all 22 meters seem to keeping perfect sync with audio

Oh, yeah - SAC Pre-1a

Edit Update: 3x32 buffers seems fine without scene swaps - scene swapping intermittently glitches audio at 3x32. Fast Scene swapping does NOT glitch audio at 2x64 or 4x32.
    Last edited by Mountain Media; 03-27-2008 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Added Info:
    John
    Mountain Media, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
    Robert - regarding the Traveler - was it tested on the PC or the Macbook? If on the PC - which version driver did you use?

Thanks!

Dave
    Recordable Media Services
    Both.

I use a firewire pci card with a texas instruments 1394 chipset now, and it greatly improved all my firewire interfaces.

Right now I'm deciding on what to use live once we get SAC rolling, and I'm leaning towards the traveller.
    Lovingly signed,
    Robert Randolph

That's great John... you might want to try ASIO and see if that corrects for the glitches with the F-Key view switching.

Also... try the Realtime priority option... that may make a difference also.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    That's great John... you might want to try ASIO and see if that corrects for the glitches with the F-Key view switching.

Also... try the Realtime priority option... that may make a difference also.

Bob L
    Yeah, I've already set Realtime Priority since posting results and it reduces glitching, but not completely gone. I was trying ASIO, but haven't gotten it setup for RME input and LynxONE output yet. I see input/output on meters, but don't hear nuthin'. It's been a while since I've used RME inputs, 'cause I usually direct copy HD24 files to HD on SAWStudio, so I just gotta take a few minutes and play with ASIO setup.

I did find, based on response of Solo'ing a channel, at 1x64 the posted setup is off by about 1-2 seconds after about 30 minutes. No problems at 2x64.

And though I'm not using the path through a mic/pre-amp/A-D as I would if I were a vocalist listening through headphones, I don't hear any latency at 2x64.
    John
    Mountain Media, Inc.

There is no question that if the buffers are set too low, you will get drift because each time a buffer is glitched a blank buffer gets inserted by the driver.

I am actually searching for a way to detect this, but since the system does not report an error or anything out of the ordinary, I have yet to be able to detect when it happens... I am working on a concept though to detect and self correct for glitched buffers... at least as far as the drift is concerned... obviously I can't fix the gitched buffer... but it would be nice to be able to absorb back the extra buffer latency added in to keep the whole system running in sync forever... regardless.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    There is no question that if the buffers are set too low, you will get drift because each time a buffer is glitched a blank buffer gets inserted by the driver.

I am actually searching for a way to detect this, but since the system does not report an error or anything out of the ordinary, I have yet to be able to detect when it happens... I am working on a concept though to detect and self correct for glitched buffers... at least as far as the drift is concerned... obviously I can't fix the gitched buffer... but it would be nice to be able to absorb back the extra buffer latency added in to keep the whole system running in sync forever... regardless.

Bob L
    Great thoughts, Bob. Especially at these low buffer settings, an audience would probably seldom hear a dropped buffer, or the glitches, which will happen anyway, but to know they will stay in sync would be awsome!!
    John
    Mountain Media, Inc.