Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trouble Installing RME Drivers in Windows XP

OK, I give up. I'm clearly not a computer expert but I play one on TV.

So I've upgraded from Win 2000 to XP and now I'm trying in vain to install my RME drivers with no luck at all. I bring up XP, it finds the new hardware, I let it install the newest drivers that I just downloaded from the RME web site, I restart XP as indicated and upon startup it just craps out, restarts, and asks me to decide if I want to start XP normally or in the last known config. If I select normal startup it tries and then continues in the same loop over and over again. If I select last known good config., it boots up without the drivers installed and tries to start the new hardware install again.

You guys gotta' be better at this than I am. I've been working on this since 9:00 PM last night and I've gotten nowhere.

I JUST WANT TO GET BACK TO RECORDING!!!!!!! Why does it always have to be sooooooo difficult?

Ken Dabek
    West End REcording

Default Re: Trouble Installing RME Drivers in Windows XP

Quote Originally Posted by West End View Post
    OK, I give up. I'm clearly not a computer expert but I play one on TV.

So I've upgraded from Win 2000 to XP and now I'm trying in vain to install my RME drivers with no luck at all. I bring up XP, it finds the new hardware, I let it install the newest drivers that I just downloaded from the RME web site, I restart XP as indicated and upon startup it just craps out, restarts, and asks me to decide if I want to start XP normally or in the last known config. If I select normal startup it tries and then continues in the same loop over and over again. If I select last known good config., it boots up without the drivers installed and tries to start the new hardware install again.

You guys gotta' be better at this than I am. I've been working on this since 9:00 PM last night and I've gotten nowhere.

I JUST WANT TO GET BACK TO RECORDING!!!!!!! Why does it always have to be sooooooo difficult?

Ken Dabek
    West End REcording

Ken,

IIRC, you're not supposed to use the standard XP plug-n-play procedure for RME driver installs. Find RME's directions and follow them. I'm pretty sure there's a step in the process where you ignore Windows' warning about uncertified blah blah blah...
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Also... you may want to consider one of the older archived drivers for XP... the newest RME drivers do not support MME and I would recommend the older drivers so you have the choice of MME or ASIO.

Bob L

Sorry Ken,

An upgrade is a bad idea. You really ought to do a fresh install of XP. Upgrading always leaves a major mess. This has always been the case with Windows versions, and 2000 to XP is no exception. It's a problem for office computers and deadly for a DAW.

Dominic

Yep Dominic, I think you're right. I just talked to Jeff, RME's tech support guy for my area and those were the first words out of his mouth. After jackin' around with him on the phone for the last hour, with no success, I'm begining to believe him.

Anybody else have any better suggestions?

Ken

Yes... format the drive and re-install XP from scratch.

Bob L

I think the XP "upgrade" CD I used a few years ago had all the files needed for a complete fresh install with a hard drive format. It just requires a qualifying older version of Windows to be on the drive or on a CD. IIRC, the install procedure gave me a choice between upgrading the current OS or doing a complete install. I chose complete install and I think it took about 30-60 minutes. Is there some other reason a complete install is not the route you want to take?
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Also... you may want to consider one of the older archived drivers for XP... the newest RME drivers do not support MME and I would recommend the older drivers so you have the choice of MME or ASIO.

Bob L
    I talked with Matthias about this a very long time ago, asking them to leave MME support in thr drivers. His reply was that MME was being dropped by Microsoft and would not be a part of Vista. My guess is that the folks at RME did not expect so many rescordist to avoid Vista for so long.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by West End View Post
    Yep Dominic, I think you're right. I just talked to Jeff, RME's tech support guy for my area and those were the first words out of his mouth. After jackin' around with him on the phone for the last hour, with no success, I'm begining to believe him.

Anybody else have any better suggestions?

Ken
    Sorry about the pc woes Ken.... When you said "upgrade" I considered mentioning this as well, but decided you must have meant it generically.... I should have jumped in this time. Hope it all comes together soon for you.
    I know how you feel though..... If it helps, I'm in the middle of downtime too because of a necessary upgrade causing me grief.

DanT

Though I don't *really* need to upgrade.. I wouldn't mind the extra juice from a fresh install and a new processor (my Intel dual core is still chugging well enough though).

But... the fact is I'm avoiding it (putting it off) as long as I can because I don't want to have to go throw it all .. the Windows Authorization BS.. all the authorization codes... what a mess.

Just thinking about it always makes me want to thank Bob for how easy he makes it.

Thanks Bob!