Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Take Numbers

Default Take Numbers

Is there a way in Saw to keep track of take numbers?
    When I record and stop with one voice, at the start of the session, the numbers are fine.
    But, when I switch to another voice or talent or character, the numbering system continues. I'd like the new boice to be Take 1, not take 32.
    Here's an example:
    I record the first voice VO1 - #001 through VO1 - #010
    Then the second voice VO2 - #011 through VO2 - #020

What I'd like is: VO1 - #001 through VO1 - #010
    Then the second voice VO2 - #001 through VO1 - #010

And, when I record two voices on 2 tracks at once, they get alternating sequential numbers. For example:
    VO1 - #21 VO1 - #23
    VO2 - #22 VO2 - #24

This is very confusing when calling out take numbers in a session.

Any answers?
    Last edited by Stashu; 06-11-2008 at 09:54 PM.

Default Re: Take Numbers

Region numbers should not be considered as take numbers... they are simply the order in which regions are created as they are recorded, split, adjusted and edited in many different ways.

Use of the layers is an excellent method for keeping track of different takes... simply switch to layer 2 for the next pass of a performance.

Using the Loop Retake function will automatically mark regions created with take numbers during repeated loop passes.

If you do decide to manually create different takes on the same track and layer and are going to overwrite the previous region, I would suggest using the rename region function on the current region to add your own info to denote the different takes before recording the next one... it takes only a second or two to select and rename the region before it gets overwritten on the track....

Or... consider keeping different perfromance passes on different tracks and then decide later which portions of which track to keep.

Bob L

Hi Stashu

I know what you mean...
    The solution is to use the control track as markers.
    Make a F-key with the control track window open all
    the time.

Then just hit "Q" every time you make a new take, in my case
    I would write 1 vocal 1 and the next time just 2 and so on, when
    you start with the next talent then write 1 vocal 2.

Sebastian

Quote Originally Posted by Stashu View Post

My only other alternative, since Bob had no real solution, is to get ProTools M-Powered, .
    Go easy, this reaction isn't necessary, no product is perfect, try not to lay into Bob the moment SAW doesn't have a feature you want.
    Perhaps explain in a little more detail what you would like, and Bob may get round to adding it. Try doing that with ProTools.
    "Dear Mr P. Tools. Please can you make your product a bit more stable, and do higher track counts on my old P3, and cost less. Or I'll buy Logic."

Dominic

You can also select the regions of interest after the recordings are done and use the rename function which will rename them in sequential numbers all at once. There are many ways to accomplish what your specific needs are... you just have to dig into all the features and learn how they work.

In my experience, the original exact regions are very rarely the final results you want to send as the finished results anyway... the regions generally require editing and trimming and in many cases processing.

There are many functions that make that a simple thing to do in SS and in the end, you can export regions or tracks in a bach fashion for the finished results.

No one system will ever be able to auto-name things to fit every work style or delivery requirement, in my opinion... there is always some manual intervention required... and that's a good thing... keeps the engineer in control of the session.

Bob L

Some years back I asked more or less the same quistion,

It is ofcause nessesary for a program to give files a number in order
    to keep track of them.
    But what I would like was a number system starting with track nr., Take nr. something like Tr001_Tk0001, Tr002_Tk0001, this way it would much
    more easy to follow edits afterwards, and the cuts will correspond to eg.
    the take list I write in the score or text.

It is ofcause possible to do this already by renaming all files manually.

Sebastian

Sebastian... that may be what you think is perfect for your project... but SS has to handle thousands of work styles and thousands of different projects, each with their own requirements. To attempt to please all work styles and requirements is simply not possible.

That is why I say... it should be up to the engineer to handle these kinds of things.

And for me... regions end up all over the place... not just on a single track that they started out on... in sound design for film or video... everything is completely different than vocal overdubs for a song project.... for show automation... everything gets quite different again... etc.

Bob L

Bob I do undestand your point, but some day in another world, it
    would be nice to have different option for showing file names.

Sebastian

I'll put it on the list and explore the idea whenever I can get to it.

Bob L

record to seperate tracks or layers then export? think of that big wav as a tape, you would just pick the pieces you want and print from there. the edl is just a road map to places on the wav.
    life will bring what life brings, without rain, sun is a curse

Iain Westland info@paddedcellrecords dot co dot uk

Uk 796 then 200 plus 5712