Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SAC CPU Usage

Default SAC CPU Usage

Using 2 RME 9652 and (5) ADA 8000's on an AMD 2.8 G system would there be any problem running at 72 - 80 % CPU usage. Will it remain stable?

Steve L.
    Audio-Video Electronics
    Mountain VIew Recording

Default Re: SAC CPU Usage

Only real world testing can answer that... I have run torture tests here at 98% and left them run for hours with no problems... but each setup is unique and different.

Test it well before using it in a live show.

Bob L

That was my suggestion also. I tried it here with 2 of the 5 ADA's hooked up and set it for 40 i/o and loaded it up with 24 compressors/EQ's auxes etc and it was hitting 76 to 80 %. If adding the other ADA's doesn't increase the load then he should be fine.

Steve L.
    Audio-Video Electronics
    Mountain View Recording

Let it run at that load for a few hours and then check to see if it slipped any buffers by left-clicking the load percentage readout in SAC.

Bob L

Hello,
    I have been using a Dell c840 (2 gigs of RAM) running at 2.8 ghz with all 48 channels on six ada8000's through two RME Digiface cardbus with no problems. 5 rehearsals and 2 concerts with no glitches.
    I don't use a lot of plugs - SAW native only - so the load is always manageable and consistent.
    DRBurroughs

Customer reported problems so I will be re-doing some things.
    With 24 channels running previously (1 RME card)he said there were no problems but with 40 running (2 RME's)@ 76-80% there is distortion? and while EQ seems to be working, the comps and gates are not.....strange problem that I will have to delve in to. Meanwhile they are going back to their 40 channel Mackie that barely fits on my bench to repair a couple of channels. I am going to build a system (Intel based ) and see if this will give them better performance. They have an AMD 4000+ (2.8G)
    I am not real familiar with the RME Totalmix, could it be causing a problem?
    Normally I use M'Audio stuff but we couldn't get 40 channels with anything M'Audio has.

Steve L.
    Audio-Video Electronics
    Mountain View Recording

Steve - if you do a test where a single input is muxed to multiple channels, then the output bus can overload - just drop the output master fader, a lot, to check.
    Otherwise, I guess it may just be a buffer issue.
    FWIW, I can run 40 channels (as a test - muxed as above) on my 1.7 GHz single core laptop, with EQ, gate and comp on every channel. So I think a bit of investigation is warranted before building a whole new machine.

Dominic

TotalMix could also be causing the problem by adding the input signal to the SAC output signal. Again, you need to check for silence from Mic to Output (ie, that total Mix is doing nothing) before engaging SAC.

Dominic

id loose total mix and stay just in sac.
    life will bring what life brings, without rain, sun is a curse

Iain Westland info@paddedcellrecords dot co dot uk

Uk 796 then 200 plus 5712

Quote Originally Posted by Iain Westland View Post
    id loose total mix and stay just in sac.
    You can't lose TotalMix, it's there.

Dominic