Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default X-Keys questions

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting one of the X-Keys units (finally) to use with SAWStudio and I have a few questions for any X-Keys users out there.

First of all... which is recommended.. the 20 key version or the 56 key version?

I don't mind getting the bigger unit and the price difference isn't much of a factor, but if the smaller one is all that's needed then I like that it's small and won't take up much space (which I guess is why it's small?

I guess the 2nd question would be do you in fact still find this thing useful and do you still recommend it for SAWStudio?

One more... what's recommended... USB or PS/2? Any issues to know about here? Currently I use PS/2 if that matters, but also have USB enabled for other things so that's an option.

Thanks for any info!

Perry

Default Re: X-Keys questions

I have used the 59 key for 2 years and couldn't live without it. I found it much more ergonomic to have all my key command combinations on the x-key, some which were previously two handed. Now one hand stays on the x-key, and the other on the trackball...the only time I use the full keyboard is for file and track naming.

The programming of complex strings is a real time saver. Also, the ability to place commands that are used for certain tasks near each other.

For instance:

I have one key that tabs to the end of the next softedge and places the end of the marked area there.

I have the commands for keep, remove, delete, and find zero crossing all on the same row for faster region editing.

I found that 59 keys was adequate, but I still find each key a valuable resource, so I think the 20 key would be too small for me.

I use the ps/2 version, but that's because I never enabled USB on that system.

Highly recommended from this SS user.

Regards,

MM
    Michael McInnis Productions

I've got the 20 keys version and fully agree with Michaels opinions.
    20 keys is nor really adequate and I would definitely go for the 59 key option. I also have the PS2 version, but given the choice again I would go for USB, mainly because of the additional flexibility provided by the software bundled with the USB version.
    Also consider the Matrix board / developers kit which allows you to roll your own with up to 128 keys and you can than include foot switches etc. (I've been toying with the idea of moving in this direction but to many things to do and not enough time!)

Cheers....Robert V.

Thanks Michael and Robert... just the kind of info I was looking for! You've given me some good ideas Michael about setting up the keys. .

And Robert you've got me wondering now just what the usb version offers extra. I was worried that the software for the usb version might cause problems running in the background? Can you tell me what the advatages are... I'll look again on the site but maybe you know something about this you could post here?

Thanks gain guys!

Perry

Perry;
    The main difference that I'm aware of, is that with the USB version you can emulate mousebuttons, use the macrorecorder software and store and change templates.
    I am using a Kensington trackball, and wanted to setup the Xkeys keyboard to emulate (duplicate) mouse buttons.
    (the reason is that i find dragging with a trackball while holding down a mousebutton is an absolute pain). This apparently is no problem with the USB version but hard to do with the PS/2 Xkeys. I know there are alternatives such as the windows accessibility options but non of it worked very intuitively.
    In the end I finished up taking the trackball apart and parrallel wiring the mouse buttons to some seperate buttons, and now I am happy.
    If I was i the position you are, my choice would be 56 button USB.

Cheers.........Robert V.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertV
    Perry;
    The main difference that I'm aware of, is that with the USB version you can emulate mousebuttons, use the macrorecorder software and store and change templates.
    I am using a Kensington trackball, and wanted to setup the Xkeys keyboard to emulate (duplicate) mouse buttons.
    (the reason is that i find dragging with a trackball while holding down a mousebutton is an absolute pain). This apparently is no problem with the USB version but hard to do with the PS/2 Xkeys. I know there are alternatives such as the windows accessibility options but non of it worked very intuitively.
    In the end I finished up taking the trackball apart and parrallel wiring the mouse buttons to some seperate buttons, and now I am happy.
    If I was i the position you are, my choice would be 56 button USB.

Cheers.........Robert V.
    Robert, wondering if you had thought about the X-Keys Foot Pedal for the mouse clicks. Since reading this thread, I realized I have an opportunity to try an X-Keys foot pedal, and am going to. I use a pen-pad for navigation, and the only 'problem' I have is, as with the track ball, holding down mouse buttons (specifically the right button). I got to thinking the pedal might solve this, as well as other situations with mouse clicks. Soon as I get access to the pedal (an associated studio has one they don't use) I'm trying it!
    John
    Mountain Media, Inc.

I just keep it simple... a plain old $20 wheel mouse... works perfect... no complications... no control surfaces... just learn all the commands and you can rock n roll like nobody believes.

The XKeys to make multi-key combinations a one key option is a nice addition.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L
    I just keep it simple... a plain old $20 wheel mouse... works perfect... no complications... no control surfaces... just learn all the commands and you can rock n roll like nobody believes.

The XKeys to make multi-key combinations a one key option is a nice addition.

Bob L
    Agreed!

Of course... you probably can remember all the commands better than some of us being as you wrote them. he he But you're right... just learn the commands.

My problem is that even after I learn new ones I eventually forget some of them that I don't use very often ... then when I need those again I have to stop and look them up. Or stop and think for a bit trying to remember... and then look them up anyway.

I've tried using a reference guide but that's a bit kludgy ... for me anyway.
    I'm thinking the X-Keys will solve my problem with that and one of my main goals is to have keys for the funtions that I only use occassionally. Having the unit doesn't seem it could hurt anything and it's relatively inexpensive.... like you say... a nice addition! And it doesn't seem it would interfer with (or dramatically change) the regular flow of SAWStudio... with the way that I'm accustomed to working with the program.

As to a dedicated midi controller... after experimenting with this a bit I agree that it isn't really necessary (for me anyway) although it's kinda neat to know it's there for the odd time that there's a complicated automation move to make that otherwise might take more than one pass without the controller.

I also like having a dedicated set of transport keys... but really that's sort of more nostalgic than anything else... and sort of fun too. Definitely not relly a crucial *need* for this though. Of course if someone really wants to use a controller then that can be done. It seems to me easier in most cases to just keep working as before though... just my opinion on that.

So yeah Bob... you've got 'er running *really* well without any of this xtra stuff... no doubts! And any time I have to deal with other programs I really miss the beauty of working in SAWStudio (like yesterday when I had to transfer some stuff form a Pro Tools rig so that I could move it to my SAWStudio rig for mixing).

Back to SAWing!

Perry
    Last edited by Perry; 11-04-2004 at 03:50 PM.

John;
    I've never considered the use of the foot pedal for mouse clicks, simply because I found the cost of the hardware in Australia to prohibitive (same reason applied to me getting the 20 keys, instead of the 56 keys version).
    No reason why it should not work!

You just got me thinking, about the versapad pen pad I've got lying around virtually unused because it was to clumsy pressing / holding mouse buttons.
    I agree with Bobs comments about a simple $20= mouse being pretty good, however I've suffered RSI problems on and off, and found that the trackball helped me a lot, and as long as it has a large heavy ball, I prefer it for SS over a mouse!
    Cheers.....Robert V.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertV
    John;
    You just got me thinking, about the versapad pen pad I've got lying around virtually unused because it was to clumsy pressing / holding mouse buttons.
    I agree with Bobs comments about a simple $20= mouse being pretty good, however I've suffered RSI problems on and off, and found that the trackball helped me a lot, and as long as it has a large heavy ball, I prefer it for SS over a mouse!
    Cheers.....Robert V.
    Thanks, Robert. I agree with Bob on simplicity and cost. However, though I've not had problems with RSI nor Carpal Tunnel, etc., I'm left-handed and had a significant operation on my left wrist in my early 20's. It hurts and tires easily when I have to turn palm face-down for too long. If I can keep it angled as if I'm writing, it works much better. A large trackball, like the Kensington, is my second favorite. I have learned to do most mousing with my right hand, but the small-motor-skill things, like you often do in SAWStudio, are just slower right-handed. I've used a pen-pad with SAW from back when it was 'just' SAW. Though I find it easy to use, I seldom recommend it as the way to drive SS. Again, Bob's mouse way is very effective!
    John
    Mountain Media, Inc.