Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: X-Keys questions

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    I just keep it simple... a plain old $20 wheel mouse... works perfect... no complications... no control surfaces... just learn all the commands and you can rock n roll like nobody believes.

The XKeys to make multi-key combinations a one key option is a nice addition.

Bob L
    Ok, late to the party, but I've purchased the 24 button Xkey. I set up some shortcuts like control/delete, etc, (Global) and they work fine in Cubase. When I fire up Saw, they don't work. I've also made Saw the focus application, still no go. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Rich
    Saw64, SAC64 DP, Live, Cubase, Logic Pro and LUNA
    http://www.jillandrich.net

Quote Originally Posted by richswit View Post
    Ok, late to the party, but I've purchased the 24 button Xkey. I set up some shortcuts like control/delete, etc, (Global) and they work fine in Cubase. When I fire up Saw, they don't work. I've also made Saw the focus application, still no go. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Rich
    Have you made the MT window the focus window? Are the cursor and the hot track where and what (respectively) they need to be? Have you correctly programmed SAW's non-windows-standard keystrokes into X-keys?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

yes, yes, and yes. Although when you say "into x-keys", I'm using it in software mode. Maybe I should try "Hardware Mode", where it writes the shortcuts into memory.....
    I'll try that.
    Thanks

YES! That was it....hardware mode...
    very good.

Quote Originally Posted by richswit View Post
    YES! That was it....hardware mode...
    very good.
    I know nothing about X-keys. Glad I stirred your brain.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

I don't use the X-Keys with SAW but it is invaluable for being able to do custom button layouts for lots of software. In live shows they are very handy where you don't want a full size keyboard getting in the way.

As this point I wouldn't buy anything that is PS2 based. You might be fine now, but what happens down the road. Almost no new off the shelf computers have PS2 ports on them anymore and as one who has worked in one theatre with a handful of PS2 based Xkeys that all have PS to USB adaptors on them (mostly so we can use them on the Macs we now use for playback), I can tell you it's one more thing to lose, one more connection to come undone or malfunction and they can be more finicky about being discovered by the computer. So go with USB... it will be with us for a long time. PS2 is a dead I/O port these days.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Just for the record, seeming this thread has come back from the dead, I have been using the USB version for a number of years now. I have some macros now that I couldn't live without. Like the one button that marks a region from leading softedge to trailing softedge, but leaves the cursor at the leading side for immediate playback. When coupled with the macros I have for + or - 1, 3, & 6db, it is a very fast way to get "region based automation" with as little as two keyboard clicks.
    Michael McInnis Productions

I finally tumbled and bought the 24-key X-Keys, primarily to use with SAW Studio. But I'm stymied as to how to create a key macro that will increase/decreased the fader in the Z-mixer. MMP's post of 2-14-15 seems to suggest this can be done. I've tried recording it, manually entering key/mouse clicks -nothing works. If anyone's managed to get this automation working, I'd be much obliged for some help.

Thanks.

Roger

Control key on-off followed by periods increments volume by .25 db
    Control key on-off followed by commas decrements volume by .25 dB

I have 6 macro keys dedicated to changing level. +/- 1 dB, 3 dB and 6 db

plus 6 db would be control on-off followed by 24 periods.
    Last edited by MMP; 08-26-2018 at 12:08 PM.
    Michael McInnis Productions

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    Control key on-off followed by periods increments volume by .25 db
    Control key on-off followed by commas decrements volume by .25 dB
    Wonderful! Works perfectly. Thanks so much.

Any other clever combinations? Seems you have this knocked!

Roger