Close

Default F-Keys for Plugins

Most plugins when activated, stay where you started them, or where you plop them. And, when you switch F-Keys, there they are. (Some decide not to play on the new screen.)
    I know I can make an F-Key setting to make my own little plugin equipment rack, but when switching to another F-Key, like all tracks, F Mixer whatever, the little b@$t@rD$ are still there.
    Is there a way to corral them, use an F-Key, and have them go away when you use any other F-Key?
    Or, is this a get another monitor answer?

Default Re: F-Keys for Plugins

Plugins are not part of the F-Key workspace views... they are their own independent programs.

But... if you do wish to plop them and keep them always in the same area, then create your F-Key views to leave a hole for them... or do as I suggested... keep them closed and off the screen and use one Patch window F-Key view to gain instant access to a plug when you need to make an adjustment.

Of course, if you like seeing everything all the time at once... there is no substitute for multiple large resolution monitors.

Bob L

I, too, prefer to keep at least a few plugins visible while I am working on a mix. This was difficult to do when I had only a single 1024x768 screen. For a while I went to dual monitors, and I simply left the second monitor space open for plugins. I now use a single 1280x1024 19 inch LCD, but I set up a "mondo desktop" of 2048x1536 and "pan and scan" the monitor screen space to show the section I need. This allows me space for plugins that I can scroll across to anytime I need, and I can also leave Totalmix or some other application open "off screen" for instant access when I need them. You don't see all your plugins all the time this way, but I find it a lot easier (and faster) than navigating to a "patch window" to re-open a plugin for adjustment.

Unless you are using a laptop (many of which apparently will allow an "oversize" desktop), you will most likely have to use a dual-monitor card (I use an ATI Radeon x300 type card), but you can still use a single monitor with it (as I do).

You know, I just realized that I don't know whether perhaps XP provides for this sort of trick without requiring special hardware...
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    ...You know, I just realized that I don't know whether perhaps XP provides for this sort of trick without requiring special hardware...
    Yes, you can do all that with XP.

So, I take it you're using Vista successfully? Or Win2K?

Ira

Quote Originally Posted by IraSeigel View Post
    Yes, you can do all that with XP.

So, I take it you're using Vista successfully? Or Win2K?

Ira
    Until recently I was still using Win2K, which was the OS I originally installed on my DAW machine. At that time I installed all the hardware I use (except for the current HD), and since Win2K does not routinely provide support for my "mondo desktop", I had to use the ATI configuration software to set that up. For some reason, though, every time the computer booted (unless the KVM was switched "away" from that machine until boot was done) the desktop size defaulted to the native resolution of my display.

Once I did a fresh install with XP, I found that the computer would boot up just fine with my "mondo" settings (as set up using the ATI utility), remembering them correctly instead of requiring me to manually re-set them after boot the way Win2K did.

I only switched to XP because Vista is poised to take over, and I wanted to delay hardware/driver obsolescence as long as possible. Second reason was I was able to get the corporate version of XP (no "phone home to mama"/activation requirements).
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post

Second reason was I was able to get the corporate version of XP (no "phone home to mama"/activation requirements).

The "open as necessary" approach with an F-key set with FX Choices and Pre/Post/Final Res Plugin Windows works fine for me but I wish there was a way to tame the MWS.

I guess the best dual monitor solution there is to have dedicated Record & Mix templates with the left side MWS and everything else on the right on all F-key views.

There is a great way to tame MWS... read the sections in the helpfile about the workspace key latch to Alt-Fkeys... there is a step by step approach... SAWStudio would use the F-Keys and MWS would hook to Alt-FKeys... in this manner you have very good control of when and what to see as far as only audio or audio and midi or only midi... try it... you'll like it.

Bob L

Thanks Bob- I must have done something wrong initially. This works perfectly!