Close

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Default Re: Support for audio playback

Quote Originally Posted by NoFear13X View Post
    Here's a thought that should add a few more pages of mixed comments to this thread ---

Has anyone used WormHole2 to send audio from a remote to the host? Doesn't eat inputs (physical ones) and allows control from wherever the host is. Obviously there is latency, so it's not for video tracks, but for background music, it's do-able. Currently, I use it for soloing via a laptop I walk around with. Again, there's delay (less than a second's worth, but still significant), but it helps me find that "off" vocal.

I'm very much looking forward to the audio player, but until then, we have a mix of solutions we use currently. Oddly enough, none of them involve an actual CD player...
    I thought that had a tendency to cause slipped buffers and if I'm not mistaken was a bit on the unstable side? Just what I remember reading, not personal experience because in the end I don't really care as most days my systems are operated by my mixer right on the host, located at FOH.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

I think for soloing I'd prefer wireless headphones like IEMs or the Sennheiser RS-150 at minimum.

I hadn't thought of running two instances of SAW, but in reality for simple playback it's almost overkill for simple stereo trax, but it's worth experimenting with for easier remote capabilities.

Jeff

7th Voice FOH/Mon/Sys Tech
    www.7thVoice.net
    www.reverbnation.com/7thvoice

SAC Installation:
    Dell Optiplex 990, Intel i5/4GB RAM
    3xMOTU 2408, PCI-424x card, 6x ART TubeOpto8, 2x Motormix

SAC Portable Rig:
    IBM ThinkCentre M50 3.2GHz/4GB RAM
    2x MOTU 2408/PCI-424x card, 2x ART TubeOpto8, 2x M-Audio Profire 2626
    Yamaha Promix01 controller, EWI Tourcase
    CUDJ-P-22.

Quote Originally Posted by jlklein View Post
    True, but you can't record and playback SAW at the same time. My vocal group primarily sings to tracks, and I often need to play sound effects or voice-over bytes during a church play. But I also want to record with SAW and would rather not have to buy two copies and an additional machine.
    Actually, you can record and playback in SAW at the same time...as long as you are doing both within the MT (in the one .edl, of course). Instead of clicking Play, simultaneously press Shift and click SRP.

Of course, if you want one continuous recording, then that's another story....
    Míke È. Déè

WinAmp is working well in my two SAC systems. Pic shows play window plus small playlist on 2nd display. Next pic shows full library view with panes for Genre, Artist, and Album. bottom pane shows what is selected above. Am not using their fancy skins. Library view is for building playlists from all audio and is mostly closed. Has no problem with wav, mp3, mp4, or acc. Can play or rip CD from optical drive. Can also write to CD. And it is a free download. www.WinAmp.com/media-player/en.

The wide mixer shows WinAmp running on ch25/26 in stereo. It is assigned to both mains and subs, not monitors. my RME HDSP9652 card has a single wire jumper allowing synch with digital audio on pci bus. This setup does not take any of my 24 analog inputs.

We also DJ, so our entire iTunes library (16 days worth) is loaded on my second "data" hard drive with plenty of room to spare. WinAmp search is as good as iTunes search. I start WinAmp first, then SAC. Music is there as soon as you go live. While WinAmp is not remoteable, ch25/26 mute is. So if WinAmp is left running, FOH has mute and fader control in the remote. Have found no interference with live using win7 and i3.
    David www.DavidGlassSoundServices.com
    SAC/SAW System: I3 cpu, Intel SSD for Software & WD3200 300gb for Data, RME HDSP9652, 3 ADA8000, optical drive, dual 20" displays, AmpedWireless HiPwr router, Shure wireless talkback mic, SAC, SAWlite, Reverb, Frequency Analyzer, Levelizer, WaveLab, WinAmp.
    Remote: Lenovo 16" notebook, 20" 2nd display, BCF 8 channel Fader pack.

Quote Originally Posted by glass50 View Post
    <SNIP> While WinAmp is not remoteable, ch25/26 mute is. So if WinAmp is left running, FOH has mute and fader control in the remote. Have found no interference with live using win7 and i3.
    How about this?: http://lifehacker.com/387029/control...om-any-browser
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Quote Originally Posted by jlklein View Post
    I think for soloing I'd prefer wireless headphones like IEMs or the Sennheiser RS-150 at minimum.

I hadn't thought of running two instances of SAW, but in reality for simple playback it's almost overkill for simple stereo trax, but it's worth experimenting with for easier remote capabilities.

Jeff
    Oh definitely overkill, but if you already have it, it obviously works well and it's not like it's any harder to pull up a director of audio files, drop one into the timeline and save it as an .edl file then make the playlist in the Show Control window and you're done. I would guess that it's maybe 1 more step than most media players and the only drawback (if you even want to call it that) would be that SAW doesn't play .mp3 files so all files would have to be saved in a .wav format.

Plus you then get all the obvious benefits of the SAC link and remote, etc... Plus if you're dealing with "cues" and not break music, you can easily route audio to different speakers at different levels, all within SAW. It's a great tool as I'm sure you already know. Only drawback is only one timeline can run simultaneously.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/