Close

Default Portable DAW suite

As I explore the idea of creating a DAW setup that can be run on most any computer from a USB memory stick, I see that some aspects of this can be tricky. What I would like to be able to do is walk into any studio that uses a Windows-based DAW machine, plug in my USB stick, and, after no more than minor setup tweaking (of my stuff, not the studio's computer), be able to run an entire production session with my own software, from Midi sequencing through tracking and mixing down to actually burning test CD's. I am not sure whether this can be done.

So...

1. Is there a good list of Saw Native and VST plugins that can run this way (IE no registry entries or other odd copy protections involved)?
    2. Are there any VST plugins which require "authorization" that can have their "keys" included on the stick?
    3. Does the JMS CSG require registry hooks, or can it work on a stick?
    4. Is there a good portable freeware CD burning app that works with .cue files?
    5. What other "gotchas" might be involved in trying to work this way?

BTW, this is partly so that I can effectively demonstrate SS and MWS to a friend who is having troubles negotiating Cubase SX (which, I must confess, also thoroughly confuses me).
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Default Re: Portable DAW suite

The Sonoris plugs work without registry entries, (the downloadable files are do not require authorisatiion of any type). The Anwida plugs have two different kinds of authorisation, need license keys and probably insert registry entries. Based on what I've seen recently on the forum, they may not be properly supported either.
    I recommend Bobs plugs and the Sonoris plugs.

Dominic
    Last edited by DominicPerry; 11-25-2008 at 01:08 PM.

Very ambitious.

But if it's your purpose to demonstrate the viability of SAW/MWS, I would think the ONLY real way to guarantee a trouble-free demonstration is to bring your own hardware, too; i.e., computer, interface, etc. Then you know it all works. You don't want any "gotchas" when trying to sell something.

IMO.

Ira

Quote Originally Posted by IraSeigel View Post
    Very ambitious.
    I did this to test SAW with the Asus EEE. I put the SAW directory from my laptop and some audio files on a USB stick and ran SAW and the audio from the stick in a shop. It worked fine although, of course, I didn't give it a full workout. So I would say, ambitious but achievable.

Dominic

Quote Originally Posted by DominicPerry View Post
    I did this to test SAW with the Asus EEE. I put the SAW directory from my laptop and some audio files on a USB stick and ran SAW and the audio from the stick in a shop. It worked fine although, of course, I didn't give it a full workout. So I would say, ambitious but achievable.

Dominic
    \

Hi Dominic,
    I thought you said you wanted to bring just software into a studio (USB) and have everything work. Sorry if I misunderstood.

But your example is what I was talking about - bring software and hardware (computer/audio card or subsystem) into the demonstration.

And, nice to hear that the EEE gave you acceptable results.

Ira

Quote Originally Posted by IraSeigel View Post
    \

Hi Dominic,
    I thought you said you wanted to bring just software into a studio (USB) and have everything work. Sorry if I misunderstood.

But your example is what I was talking about - bring software and hardware (computer/audio card or subsystem) into the demonstration.

And, nice to hear that the EEE gave you acceptable results.

Ira
    Ira, I was doing what Cary said - taking a USB stick with software on it and using the available hardware - in this case an EEE and it's internal soundcard.

Dominic

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stebbeds View Post
    I am not sure why you would want to.
    A while back a client had me come into his studio and do some mixes using Nuendo on his setup. I kept wishing I had SAW there instead.

Yesterday I was trying to help a friend at her studio. She has Nuendo and Cubase SX, but was not able to get it working with her midi keyboard to play a softsynth. Of course, I know nothing about Cubase and not much about Nuendo, so it was difficult to find a way to determine whether there was a hardware of software problem. By bringing in software that I know how to use, I could test the hardware and know what was going on.

This is not a big studio, just recording in a house using a small spare bedroom as the control room. It is already crowded, even with the small amount of gear she has. Bringing my road rig would be difficult given the lack of space.

Bring a laptop.
    I don't have one. Last computer upgrade, I checked and found out how expensive it would be to get just the same functionality I already have (HDSP 9652), and decided it was way too expensive. I could see going that route if I was never going to want more than 4 inputs and 2 outputs, but I can't justify setting up a dedicated "small stuff" rig in addition to my "all purpose" road rig. The short answer is "It's about the money".
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Cary,
    I've been working on doing the same thing. Some of your questions I'm still working out for myself. To test whether plug-ins need reg entries, I just walk over to my office machine, open Studio from the thumb drive and patch a plug-in. If it works, it stays. I'm sure CSG will be fine. And I need to check again, but I believe EAC will run just fine from the thumb drive.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com