Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default OT: Behringer 1204 Mixer for SAWPlus32 Headphone Mix?

In my previous post, I asked if it would be okay to ask a ***8220;Behringer Mixer Question***8221; as it relates to SAWPlus32 use. I was given a green light, so sorry if anyone is annoyed by this.

My image (below) is low-res, so here***8217;s a hi-res link to the Behringer 1204 mixer, which BobL kindly suggested as a way to create a useful headphone mix from SAWPlus32: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/1204FX.aspx (updated link to revised Behringer site)
    I certainly don***8217;t expect anybody to research this for me, but there is a Manual link there and a schematic (which baffles me) under the Add***8217;l Info link.

- My Mics are old, unbalanced Nakamichi with 1/4" plugs.

- My current soundcard is just a stereo SoundBlaster with stereo mini plug I/O, that I adapt to RCA or 1/4***8221; as needed.

I want to record a mono track while listening to multiple pre-existing SAWPlus32 tracks - played back from the SoundBlaster card. My current decrepit mixer arrangement combines EVERYTHING entering its input channels (no submix capability) so the reference tracks material gets recorded onto the new/hot track (right along with the intended channel 1 microphone audio material).

Question 1: (see image) Is this how I would employ the Behringer 1204 to achieve a headphone mix that does not infect the mic***8217;d audio as it***8217;s being recorded?

Question 2: In the illustration, the reference tracks come in via channel 5/6, and that material is routed to ALT 3/4 as a submix. How would I route the 3/4 submix into my headphone mix, but not into the main output? (in this case, the main output exits the mixer via the CD/Tape Out RCA jacks, which mirror the balanced Main Outputs)

Question 3: Input channels 1-4 have balanced Mic inputs and ¼***8221; unbalanced Line inputs, each with a +10 / -40db attenuator pot. Can I connect my old unbalanced Nakamichi mikes to the ¼***8221; input and adjust gain for a quality signal?

Question 4: The ***8220;FX***8221; model of the Xenyx 1204 has internal effects costing just a few extra bucks. Are they any good?

Question 5: I read some pretty damning comments about the product quality and general reputation of Behringer. Do you guys think the 1204 is reliable, and will provide good audio quality? The price is RIGHT, but if it***8217;s just going to be trouble, I***8217;d rather ask you for additional mixer suggestions***8230;

Thanks
    Last edited by OhBoy; 12-31-2008 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Behringer site changed

Default Re: OT: Behringer 1204 Mixer for SAWPlus32 Headphone Mix?

From what I can tell, you are mostly on the right, er, track. If as the block diagram seems to suggest, you can listen to the Main Mix and Alt 3-4 outputs at the same time, then sending the mic to the main mix, sending playback returns to Alt, and feeding main mix outs to the sound card should work.

If your sound card lets you monitor input mixed with playback at its outputs, you may only need to listen to the Alt 3-4 mix in the headphones.

As for your microphones, the question is whether the line inputs will have enough gain to work with them. If not, you may need to get a matching transformer (if the mics are high impedance) that will let you feed your mic to the XLR input of the mixer. You can find an example here.

HTH
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Having just read Mark's recommended procedure, I'd say go with that. It makes sense and should work well for you. You might still want that mic matching transformer if the "line in" trick doesn't work for you, though.

In fact, I was about to dump my earlier answer, but I'm not sure I can, so I'll just say Mark's method might be the better choice.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Regarding the quality of the Behringer 1204 - I have an older style 1204 that's had plenty of live and studio use over 10 years.
    It's never missed a beat.

The mic pre's are fine for live - though, in the studio, I use some JLM and Sebatron. The 1204 is used as a source mixer for output sound.

cheers

mako
    Denis Hillman
    Queensland
    Australia

5. Default Re: OT: Behringer 1204 Mixer for SAWPlus32 Headphone Mix?

Thanks, all.

Per your helpful replies, I'm convinced I can press the Behringer 1204 into appropriate service. I fully agree that any version of SawStudio would be a better solution, providing real advantages - many of which I haven't imagined yet.

But there's no budget at present for the software, plus a modern, high-quality multi-channel soundcard. Assuming the opportunity to purchase arrives, I'll unleash a slew of obtuse SS questions . Fair warning.

I guess I'll just get the non-FX version of the 1204 board. It sounds like Behringer ought to incorporate the "Jolly Roger" into its logo somehow, but if it works well, I'll buy one due to budget constraints. Thanks.
    Last edited by OhBoy; 12-30-2008 at 08:16 PM.

Its much simpler than all that aux sending cable routing... the mixer does it for you...

Take the Alt-3-4 outputs into the soundcard... Plug your mic into channel 1 and assign it to Alt-3-4... this will feed it straight to the soundcard for recording... notice there is a switch for the main monitoring for both the main mix bus and the alt-3-4... so you will hear both the SAW main mix playback and the mic channel together... but only the mic signal will feed the soundcard record inputs... its very straightforward.

Then if you want, you can use the aux sends for a reverb if you want and you will hear reverb on the mic while recoreding it flat.

Bob L

The effects on the 1204 FX will be pretty lousy, but for roughly an extra $30, they will give you the option of reverb on the monitor, which you otherwise won't have. It's quite a nice thing to have when recording (sung) vocals, to be able to add a bit of reverb. If you're only doing Voice Over, then, no need.

Dominic

Quote Originally Posted by DominicPerry View Post
    The effects on the 1204 FX will be pretty lousy, but for roughly an extra $30, they will give you the option of reverb on the monitor, which you otherwise won't have. It's quite a nice thing to have when recording (sung) vocals, to be able to add a bit of reverb. If you're only doing Voice Over, then, no need.

Dominic
    But what if it's a VO for a character in a cellar, dungeon or racquetball court?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Nope... the Behringer allows all 3 source switches to be used at the same time... that's why I suggested this mixer.

Bob L

10. Default Re: OT: Behringer 1204 Mixer for SAWPlus32 Headphone Mix?

Bob and each of you who's contributed to answering my OT question:

THANK YOU.

The first insights were excellent, and helped me think along new lines. The second round of replies, wherein Bob clarified/simplified the routing based on his personal knowledge of the mixer, is very, very much appreciated - and exactly the info I need to make a confident purchase (and thereby expand my knowledge and capabilities 10x).

I also appreciate the context regarding the built-in FX. It'll be good to add basic reverb to vocals in the monitor/headphone mix.

I'll order the FX version from B&H tomorrow (in tax year '09)
    for just $159.95 and Free Shipping. Here's the link:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...1204FX_12.html

Thanks, guys, and HAPPY NEW YEAR to us all,
    Tom