Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Allen & Heath Zed R16

I just got the new zed r16 home and quite like it, but I'm having trouble getting the midi control to work. Even the mmc doesn't respond. Has anybody used this board yet? I only know a little about midi so any info would be appreciated. In my Saw Studio Basic manual it says that I can use any midi controller. How would I go about seting that up when there is no midi template for this particular mixer/controller?

Thanks!

Default Re: Allen & Heath Zed R16

You can use any midi controller that we have a template for... many simple mixers have a generic General Midi mode that may work with one of the General Midi templates for faders and mutes and pans.

Realize if you use a mixer as a controller, you can no longer use it as a mixer and pass audio through it... it must become only a controller... all audio must be handled in SAWStudio alone.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Realize if you use a mixer as a controller, you can no longer use it as a mixer and pass audio through it... it must become only a controller... all audio must be handled in SAWStudio alone.

Bob L
    Unless your mixer has a separate "MIDI layer". Though I never could get mine to work right. (Ramsa WR-DA7)
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Unless your mixer has a separate "MIDI layer". Though I never could get mine to work right. (Ramsa WR-DA7)
    Never even though to try mine.

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by bcorkery View Post
    Never even though to try mine.

-Bill
    Bill,

I actually use layer 1 for MIDI control. For some reason, it seems to work better than the MIDI layer with SAW. Of course, that kills the mixing/routing usability for layer 1 while using it to mix SAW. I created a scene memory just for that, so it's easy to switch back and forth. SAW's output is on layer 2, so it's really not a problem when I'm working in SAW and want some hardware faders.

Have we already had this discussion? Sorry.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Thanks Dave. I think we talked a little about this but my skull seems to get thicker-er the older-er I get!

Quote Originally Posted by bcorkery View Post
    Thanks Dave. I think we talked a little about this but my skull seems to get thicker-er the older-er I get!
    We must have the same skull.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    You can use any midi controller that we have a template for... many simple mixers have a generic General Midi mode that may work with one of the General Midi templates for faders and mutes and pans.

Bob L
    Thanks Bob, I do realize this, and that is how the unit is set up. I am having troubles getting even the transport to work. Maybe I should just re-read the manuals. There must be something I'm missing.

Also, is it possible to build my own midi template in saw?

Thanks!

No... unfortunately I have to build each template and compile the results into the code itself... each unit is uniquely different.

Note that I said the basic general midi template may work for units that I do not have a specific template compiled for... but that would not include any transport functions... just faders, mutes, pans and sometimes solos.

Bob L

Aha, It's starting to make sense! I can still use this mixer in analog mode, so I'm good to go in analog.

This is quite a powerful machine though, would you consider building the midi template for this mixer/controller?

Thanks!