Close

1. Default Monitoring Plugins during recording

In using plugins like Amplitube 2 or other amp sims I don't know how to monitor the plugin as I'm recording so that I can hear the guitar tone that I've chosen. It seems that when I've done this in the past with Pro Tools it automatically monitors any patched plugin realtime while recording. I am using an M-Audio Fast Track which I know is a pretty low end interface but I'm curious if I missing the method of setting up a return that will allow monitoring the Amp sim configuration I've chosen. Thanks for any advice.

Default Re: Monitoring Plugins during recording

You would want to turn ON the Tape Style monitor option in the Options menu.

I do not default that on because you must setup your system to handle low latency buffer settings... and on Windows that will generally require the use of ASIO drivers.

You can read about all that in the helpfile in the "Ready To Record" section.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    You would want to turn ON the Tape Style monitor option in the Options menu.

I do not default that on because you must setup your system to handle low latency buffer settings... and on Windows that will generally require the use of ASIO drivers.

You can read about all that in the helpfile in the "Ready To Record" section.

Bob L
    Really? Can't be done with the MME driver? This is a timely post as just this past weekend I had a client ask if he could record direct through NI's Guitar Rig, and I had to admit I didn't have the slightest idea how to do that! I've used it often in mixing (great plugin), but had never been asked to use it live before. How low are people finding it necessary to go to elminate annoying latency?

With an RME card and the older MME driver it can be done with no problem... but in general... you will need to use ASIO for live low latency.

The help file talks about this in more detail... but you will need to get the buffer settings down to 3 x 128 or lower... lower is better... so if you get 2 x 64 or 1 x 64 you will have a very live monitor feel.

Nothing real special needed in the routing to hear the recording signal... if you are using SS 4.0 or higher... just turn ON one of the two Tape Style Monitoring options... assign your record meter to an in device and you will then hear the signal passed on thru the rest of the virtual chan as a live monitor signal... what ever is patched into the chan can be heard live... you can send monitor mixes to performers using aux sends, or they can simply monitor the main mix bus.

A VST plug like Btr Rig can be heard and you have the choice whether to record the signal before the plugin effects (default), or after the plugin with the effects by adjusting the Pre Fx Patch Signal Flow option in the Mixer menu.

Bob L

I am using an RME DSP card with the last MME driver, so I'll give it a try and see what happens. Thanks, Bob.