Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Reference Monitors

I just picked up a MotorMix2 control surface thanks to the advice of a few on this board. My next purchase is new reference monitors and I will most certainly need a new usb recording interface in order to hook up my monitors (I do not use an internal sound card for recording but I have switched to it for monitoring, post-record, obviously with poor results). I have been using a very basic M-Audio fast track for my I/O (no phantom power so I use a separate pre-amp for my condenser).

I would like to hear some recommendations for an I/O interface that would make for a good setup with my new monitors. I am leaning towards the KRK V8's (found a pair for 400). I was told to stay away from JBL and Mackie due to the overpronounced low end on these two but the Genelecs (too expensive for me) and KRK's came recommended.

Cheers

Default Re: Reference Monitors

Does it have to be USB? I've only found one good USB interface and that's the SoundDevices USBPre - and it's expensive. If you can use Firewire, there are many good choices.
    I must caveat my objection to USB interfaces - I haven't tried any from Edirol. But I have tried some from: Alesis, ESI, M-Audio (3), Centrance, Tascam.

As for monitors, you really, absolutely MUST listen to them yourself, using material you know, either CDs or preferably mixes you have worked on. It's the one thing you stand no chance getting right by asking other people.

Dominic

3. Default Re: Reference Monitors

Firewire is also an option. I am just currently using USB.

I intend to take a track I've worked on to "test drive" any monitors I might buy... I just tried to narrow it down a bit.
    Last edited by Double H Productions; 03-11-2009 at 05:02 PM.

Best options for Firewire at the RME Fireface 400 and Fireface 800. Also, good reports about the M-Audio ProFire range although I haven't used them myself. And smaller M-Audio stuff gets good reports round here too, like the FW410 (I think discontinued, replaced by ProFire610, with one report of problems) and the ProFire Lightbridge.

The stuff which gets 'good reports' tends to mean - good drivers. If you can't get an interface to be stable and with low latency, then all the features mean nothing. As you already realise, you can always add external mic-pres and often convertors.

How many channels do you need?

Dominic

The thing about monitors is that you'll get 10 opinions for every 10 people. In fact, here's two opinions from one person - I have Genelec 8040s and I hate them. But they sounded better to me than the other things I could afford, and I've used them so long that I'd have to step up to something much, much better to avoid having to re-learn what I already know. I imagine that I will always have the 8040s, at least until I blow them, and just add other sets of speakers if my setup grows. I couldn't mix without them. Shame really.

Dominic

6. Default Re: Reference Monitors

The Profire 610 looks about my speed. I rarely need a ton of channels. Mostly track simple guitar/singer/songwriter type stuff. Thanks for the tips.

When you come to set up a Firewire interface, there may be a few tweaks you need to do to get Windows to work it at full speed. All the details are in posts elsewhere on the forum, but just ask here or PM me and and we can go through and make it happen.

Dominic

8. Default Re: Reference Monitors

Thanks. I have set up XP to the specs suggested by Bob to optimize Windows, so if there are other things to tweak I will certainly jump on here to make sure I'm setting it all up in an optimal fashion. Thanks for the help
    Last edited by Double H Productions; 03-11-2009 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Double H Productions View Post
    Thanks. I have set up XP to the specs suggested by Bob to optimize Windows, so if there are other things to tweak I will certainly jump on here to make sure I'm setting it all up in an optimal fashion. Thanks for the help
    I don't know what bad things you've heard about Mackie monitors, but the HR824s are highly regarded by many. Don't know about the newer models, though.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

I have JBL LSR6328Ps and like them a lot, I don't find I have to wrestle with the low end really and have never set up the room correction capability built in. Monitors are a very personal thing and my suggestion is to go out and listen to those in your price range bringing along reference music you are intimately familiar with. Everyone has those they love and those they don't.

Regarding Firewire, I have the RME FF800 and it's serving me well and plays very well with SAW.
    Rob

Robert Bobrowski
    Edmonds, Washington USA
    rabbitaudio@comcast.net