Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default Re: Reference Monitors

A pair of KRK v8's for $400 is good. I have the Mackie Hr824 mk1 right now, but before I had the KRk rp8's. Both are good, but room acoustics determine what you get out of your monitors. No need to spend so much on monitors if your not gonna spend at least the same amount on room treatment.

For people who tell you to stay away from certain monitors, either don't have proper treatment to justify a review, are biased, or are actually experienced enough to really give a honest opinion after extensive testing. But most reviewers fall into the first two. Also, don't read reviews where people demo them at guitar center or something, I don't think thats the proper place to test them.

Default Re: Reference Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by Double H Productions View Post
    I was told to stay away from JBL and Mackie due to the overpronounced low end on these two .....Cheers
    well, that is a pile.

but it is true that you have to read the instructions and set up the monitors properly in order to have them perform properly.

I got the Mackies when they first came out, and they were head and shoulders above anything else that was available at that time, for up to $2000 more. As far as Genelecs being good but the Mackie being bad, the Mackie was designed on the Genelec 1031. Most people think that the design surpassed the model they wanted to copy. For my money, they were the least expensive option that was full frequency and at all acceptable for mixing.

I moved past the Mackies kind of quickly, but the business was expanding rapidly at that time. We moved on to Westlakes and Dunlavys. But Bob Katz and Glenn Meadows have both come out complimenting mixes that they have received for mastering that were mixed on Mackies.

Bill

I have a set of KRK V '8s they are missing some mid range to my ears , I also have a set of Tannoy system 800's and they have lots O' mid so I run them both !!!

LAter
    Buzz

Unless you have a full range system, I'd say whatever you buy, you might need to add a pair of Sony V6's to the equation for comparison.

I know a lot of pro mixers just use nearfields and make, what most people call, a great mix.

However, some of these mixers' tracks I've recently checked out on my live system (with active sub) and I found many had no definition in the bass area at all - they were flabby and out of control.

Some were excellent in the bass area - indicating (to me, at least) the use of a full range system of some description.

cheers

mako
    Denis Hillman
    Queensland
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by mako View Post
    Unless you have a full range system, I'd say whatever you buy, you might need to add a pair of Sony V6's to the equation for comparison.

I know a lot of pro mixers just use nearfields and make, what most people call, a great mix.

However, some of these mixers' tracks I've recently checked out on my live system (with active sub) and I found many had no definition in the bass area at all - they were flabby and out of control.

Some were excellent in the bass area - indicating (to me, at least) the use of a full range system of some description.

cheers

mako
    I would second that. However, I must add that the is a world of difference in sound between the two Sony V6's I have - they came like that - different. Both good - but *very* different in sound. One is more crisp and the other less crisp... but with a much cleaner solid low end.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

The Mackies are great, sure the low end is big for such a small monitor.
    I needed that low end before I added another set of monitors with a sub...still use the Mackies just as much as my other sets.

If you get used to a set of speakers and listen to them often enough (listen to cd's that you know the sound of) you will learn them and how things are supposed to sound across the board.

always get to know your monitors, no matter what they are.

You need to go into a store that has tons of different monitors. Bring a playback device with tunes you know well and see what each of the monitors tell you. Don't go on name. Go on what your ears relate to and the what each speaker gives you an understanding of. If you have some material that you have recorded, then bring that also.

I just picked up a MotorMix2 control surface thanks to the advice of a few on this board. My next purchase is new reference monitors and I will most certainly need a new usb recording interface in order to hook up my monitors (I do not use an internal sound card for recording but I have switched to it for monitoring, post-record, obviously with poor results). I have been using a very basic M-Audio fast track for my I/O (no phantom power so I use a separate pre-amp for my condenser).

I would like to hear some recommendations for an I/O interface that would make for a good setup with my new monitors. I am leaning towards the KRK V8's (found a pair for 400). I was told to stay away from JBL and Mackie due to the overpronounced low end on these two but the Genelecs (too expensive for me) and KRK's came recommended.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    You need to go into a store that has tons of different monitors. Bring a playback device with tunes you know well and see what each of the monitors tell you. Don't go on name. Go on what your ears relate to and the what each speaker gives you an understanding of. If you have some material that you have recorded, then bring that also.
    I would agree with you if the last production company that I worked for had not had a retail store, designed to sucker guys with just that approach. There are a dozen ways that they can promote what they want and make you think that you are hearing just what they want you to hear in these supposedly 'fair' listening situations. I've checked with a friend who worked in a stereo store, and he says thst the same tricks are prevelent in that industry, too.

The only way thsat I have really had great results auditioning speakers is to either take them home and install them properly; or to go to a 'shoot-out' situation where all things were equal and the methods used were overseen by an independent third party.

9. Default Re: Reference Monitors

Thank you all for the advice. I am certainly going to play a track that I'm familiar with prior to purchasing. I believe that every speaker falls short of what our ears can perceive and the trick is finding one that is close and learning to compensate for the shortcomings of your monitor setup through trial and error/repetition. Thanks again.

Any thoughts on powered vs. passive when it comes to monitors?

Thank you all for the advice. I am certainly going to play a track that I'm familiar with prior to purchasing. I believe that every speaker falls short of what our ears can perceive and the trick is finding one that is close and learning to compensate for the shortcomings of your monitor setup through trial and error/repetition. Thanks again.

Any thoughts on powered vs. passive when it comes to monitors?
    The theory is that powered is better because the amps are matched to the component speakers. I think this is fairly true. There are always exceptions, of course. I'm thinking it's a good way to get more for your money, too. Still, it always comes down to a subjective decision on the part of the listener/purchaser.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts