Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question Control Surface Setup

I just picked up a motormix control surface and I'm curious about the proper setup for the device. Is it controlled via a midi cable and if so do I need a midi i/o for my pc? Is there a midi to usb adapter that would work? I'm also curious of the menu setup. Do I assign it in the midi I/O menu? The control surface didn't come with it's manual so I'm tracking one down from the net. Thanks in advance for any help.

Also what is the RST32 port, labeled accessory for?
    Last edited by Double H Productions; 03-15-2009 at 02:08 PM.

Default Re: Control Surface Setup

Read the "Using Midi Controller Devices" section in the Helpfile contents for full details.

Yes... you will need a midi port on your machine to use that controller.

Bob L

3. Default Re: Control Surface Setup

Thanks. Will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Double H Productions View Post
    I just picked up a motormix control surface and I'm curious about the proper setup for the device. Is it controlled via a midi cable and if so do I need a midi i/o for my pc? Is there a midi to usb adapter that would work?
    You need 2 midi cables - one for the input and one for the output to be sent to a midi i/o going to your DAW. I've used an Edirol UM-2 with very good success as a midi to USB converter - although currently my Motor Mix is just hooked up to the midi input & output on my Lynx One card.

I'm also curious of the menu setup. Do I assign it in the midi I/O menu?
    First choose
    File -> Midi Control Template File
    and choose "Midi_Ctrl_CM_Motor_Mix.mct"

Next go to
    Options -> Midi Device Setup
    and select the Midi ports that you have the Motor Mix hooked up to.

Finally choose
    File -> Preferences File
    and "Save Default" if you wish this configuration to be made every time you open SAW.

The control surface didn't come with it's manual so I'm tracking one down from the net. Thanks in advance for any help.
    The manual download is at http://www.cmlabs.net/MotorMixMan3.0.pdf
    Further info is at http://www.cmlabs.net/motormix.html

I don't know as I've never used it.

Best regards,
    Steve Berson

RS232 connector (serial port cable should work)
    From SoundOnSound Review:
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug0...les/cmlabs.htm

An RS232 socket, also at the back, interfaces with another piece of CM Labs' hardware, the Sixtyfour studio router, which functions as a central patching location for the ins and outs of your digital audio workstation's audio-interfacing hardware, and any studio effects units you might have in your rack.

6. Unhappy Re: Control Surface Setup

I followed the instructions to a "T" and the device is recognized and seems to respond however, the faders and pans are fluttering up and down in value on the SAW fader display. This obviously causes a rapid fluxuation in the sound. Is there something I'm missing?

FYI

I'm using an M-Audio Midi to USB Uno... (maybe updating that driver will work... gonna try that first)

I am wondering if there is a calibration error happening inside the MotorMix unit itself... it does require a handshake between the computer and the motorized fader to lock into an exact position.

I do not remember what the basic calibration technique was for that unit.... perhaps it is covered in their manual.

Bob L

8. Angry Re: Control Surface Setup

The troubleshooting section covers an internal test for the board. It says to plug in the midi in directly to the midi out and apply power. The problem there is that I have a midi to usb not a standard midi cable... therefore I cannot plug the in to the out directly. Is that the workthrough that you remember or should I look for another technique?

Thanks

Also... I tried the board on ProTools... same issue.
    Last edited by Double H Productions; 03-15-2009 at 07:39 PM.

The troubleshooting section covers an internal test for the board. It says to plug in the midi in directly to the midi out and apply power. The problem there is that I have a midi to usb not a standard midi cable... therefore I cannot plug the in to the out directly. Is that the workthrough that you remember or should I look for another technique?

Thanks

Also... I tried the board on ProTools... same issue.
    Sounds like the unit might be bad as mine worked smoothly from the get go. You might want to contact CM Labs directly to see what they say.

Best regards,
    Steve Berson

10. Default Re: Control Surface Setup

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSonic View Post
    Sounds like the unit might be bad as mine worked smoothly from the get go. You might want to contact CM Labs directly to see what they say.

Best regards,
    Steve Berson

You are right on. Carl Malone from CM Labs said it needed a repair. 185 bucks from him with a 7 day turnaround FYI. We, however, are returning the broken board for another we found in mint condition for nearly the same price. 350 + no shipping. Not terrible. Thanks for all your help and maybe the 2nd time's a charm.