Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default clocking question

I'm redoing some studio stuff because i've switched to a raydat card from a rme 9652.. The raydat doesn't have word clock(well i didn't get it).. i have 4 preamps with adat going into a zsys adat patch bay and then into the raydat.. i only need to send outs to 1 of the preamps... this leaves me 3 without clocks... Is there anyway to accomplish clocking without having to connect the other raydat outs to the other pre's... Hope this makes sense.

thanks
    ed croxford

Default Re: clocking question

The clock is bi-directional and is present on both ADAT/LIGHTPIPE inputs and outputs.

So the Input lines from the preamps can either supply a clock or receive a clock.

On my system, I have 3 ADAT lines coming from my Alesis HD24 connected to my RME card. The clock source on the HD24 is set to external and is supplied by the RME card.

The only way of clocking them is with a lightpipe or with wordclock. Take your pick. You can sync one with lightpipe as you already have, and then chain wordclock from that to the other three. You didn't say what pre-amps, are they ada8000s?

Dominic

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    The clock is bi-directional and is present on both ADAT/LIGHTPIPE inputs and outputs.
    Really? Never got that to work myself. Don't think that's true. Do you have a reference/link to explain it please?

Dominic

Quote Originally Posted by DominicPerry View Post
    Really? Never got that to work myself. Don't think that's true. Do you have a reference/link to explain it please?

Dominic
    I don't have a reference to give you, but I can disconnect all but one ADAT line from the HD24 and can select either internal or external clock source.

The clock is either supplied from the HD24 making it the master, or externally from the RME card making the HD24 the slave.

I agree that sync can travel in either direction, but not down the same pipe. The sender (out) cannot receive sync, nor can the receiver (in) send sync.
    So if you have only one lightpipe between two devices, the master needs to be the 'sender'.

Dominic

thanks guys... i have a m-audio 2626, presonus digimax, motu 8 pre and and ada8000.... i'll try the combination of word sync and adat .. no wordclock on the motu

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ARTSYNCGEN

got one and love it.

thanks
    fvf

Quote Originally Posted by ecroxford View Post
    thanks guys... i have a m-audio 2626, presonus digimax, motu 8 pre and and ada8000.... i'll try the combination of word sync and adat .. no wordclock on the motu
    Frank V. Farrell
    TD / Kenny Rogers Productions
    W0FVF
    ETTI,LLC
    http://www.CIALLC.com

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by DominicPerry View Post
    I agree that sync can travel in either direction, but not down the same pipe. The sender (out) cannot receive sync, nor can the receiver (in) send sync.
    So if you have only one lightpipe between two devices, the master needs to be the 'sender'.

Dominic
    Yes, I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by ffarrell View Post
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--ARTSYNCGEN

got one and love it.

thanks
    fvf
    Thanks for the heads-up, Frank.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts