Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cough Switch

Default Cough Switch

In radio we used to have a thing call a "cough switch". If the announcer needed to cough or clear his throat, he would hit the cough switch until he was done, and while the switch was down his mic would be muted.

When doing a VO, there are times when I wish for a cough switch. I know that it can be edited out later, but I would rather not record that nasty noise in the first place.

What I'd really like, though, is a "pause/play" button that works in record. If I need to cough, I hit the button. The recording stops, but the mix engine keeps going. When I hit the button again, a new region is started and recording resumes. I find having to run through a sequence of commands to re-start recording breaks the "flow" of a session (and my concentration) for me.

Come to think of it, perhaps the Record button is the one that should have the Pause function. "One touch" resumption of recording would be really cool, IMO, especially for VO-type situations.

Would anyone else here find that useful??
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Default Re: Cough Switch

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    In radio we used to have a thing call a "cough switch". If the announcer needed to cough or clear his throat, he would hit the cough switch until he was done, and while the switch was down his mic would be muted.

When doing a VO, there are times when I wish for a cough switch. I know that it can be edited out later, but I would rather not record that nasty noise in the first place.

What I'd really like, though, is a "pause/play" button that works in record. If I need to cough, I hit the button. The recording stops, but the mix engine keeps going. When I hit the button again, a new region is started and recording resumes. I find having to run through a sequence of commands to re-start recording breaks the "flow" of a session (and my concentration) for me.

Come to think of it, perhaps the Record button is the one that should have the Pause function. "One touch" resumption of recording would be really cool, IMO, especially for VO-type situations.

Would anyone else here find that useful??
    Cary, it's not exactly the same, but in SRP you can toggle REC with one of the enter keys. The difference is that you would not have contiguous regions, but space between them where you coughed.

Doesn't SS have a capability to wire a footswitch to a couple of the pins on a MIDI port for this?

Option 2: do like your doctor says while checking for hernias.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

I'm not so sure I see the probnlem with sijmply hitting the stop switch and then the Rec switch again (or SRP/REC)...

But... you can have a mic kill switch by using my free Signal Switcher plugin... that acts as a momentary chan kill switch... Hold the button down while doing your VO... let go when you cough... or Shift-Click the button to keep the chan open... then press it when you cough.

Bob L

I record alone most of the time, but even on a phone patch, I don't bother to stop. (But I might turn down the pre for a moment.) Hard drive space is cheap. It isn't worth goofing up the restart and missing a chunk. I do turn away from the mic, so no escaping globs gum up the works, and so I don't break my own eardrums. Other than that, let it roll.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

I can make a footswitch that sends an 'enter' command to the computer pretty easily. That would turn recording on/off like punching.

Is that what you're looking for?
    Lovingly signed,
    Robert Randolph

Quote Originally Posted by AudioAstronomer View Post
    I can make a footswitch that sends an 'enter' command to the computer pretty easily. That would turn recording on/off like punching.

Can it also be setup for SRP via foot switch?
    Would be great when your hands are full of a guitar
    Warren @ The Masters Tracks

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    the AlphaTrack does this, it's a pretty nice feature I use a lot for overdubs and punches, albeit not cheap compared to a single purpose midi device that does one thing only.
    Rob

Robert Bobrowski
    Edmonds, Washington USA
    rabbitaudio@comcast.net

There are usb switches that can be programmed to emulate keyboard or mouse commands... search the web... I have seen these for about $50 - $100.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by AudioAstronomer View Post

Rob - that sounds really useful for me when recording my own guitar.

How much would that cost?

Thanks

mako
    Last edited by mako; 04-08-2009 at 04:32 PM. Reason: spelling
    Denis Hillman
    Queensland
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by mako View Post
    Rob - that sounds really useful for me when recording my own guitar.

How much would that cost?

Thanks

mako
    More than you could buy an off-the-shelf one for unfortunately. But I can make it look pretty

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    Yes
    Lovingly signed,
    Robert Randolph