Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Export regions w/ processing

Quote Originally Posted by mikebuzz View Post
    He could move the individual regions to thier own tracks ( Saw lite = 36x4 = 144 regions ) a Pain in the azz IMO but it would work in a group , for building with mixer process and for region group export.

Hell why bother with regions just build mix everything to a separate folder and WALA !

Ok it will copy all automation data within the region to the new track so it should work ? no ORphan Automation data will move tho.

Later
    Buzz
    potentially a pita depending on who many regions, etc. Anyway, I only suggested it as this is the only way I know of to come close to what Roger was asking about. Not pretty if you have a gazzilion small regions at one region per track, but doable.

Regarding Automation, not sure I understand what you're meaning Buzz, sorry.
    Rob

Robert Bobrowski
    Edmonds, Washington USA
    rabbitaudio@comcast.net

The current region export is just that... it copies the actual region data to a new file... there is no mixer processing because the region is not associated with any track or channel to process with.

The idea of placing each region on its own track and then using the track label to define the filename when using the Export Track option will work fine... but... you still have to label each track... so I'm not sure what you gain... in the long run... if you want specific control of the final region file name, you will most likely have to enter it manually somewhere... so why complicate things...

I say... just line everything up on the MT and go down the line on each region... Ctrl-B to mark the region and build mix... enter the new name there... and move on... in the long run... I bet you get done faster or about the same as going thru some complex batch setup to make sure everything goes as planned... and possibly having much less control.

I am looking into a new export track routine that will maintain each region name and export each to an individual file.

Bob L

Thanks, everybody. Looks like the best way is just what Bob says. In the end, probably faster.

Roger

You may want to try macros to automate some of this. It's the only way to make it all go quickly. But at the potential cost of lots of time in programming and debugging the macro.

I know. Been there.

BFG does make it faster, though, because you're not waiting for each build. That all happens after the marking and naming, all at once.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 04-10-2009 at 05:24 PM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Not sure exactly what you're after, but I often get eLearning scripts with filenames for each paragraph. Here's my method (honed through lots of great suggestions from the forum.)

1. Record narration on Track 1.
    2. Edit narration on Track 1, leaving about 2 seconds between paragraphs.
    3. Process/mixdown to Track 2, including any comp or eq.
    4. Run Remove Silence (Automatic) on Track 2 from either channel gate or Levelizer. Great way to add specific lengths of silence to head and tail of tightly edited chunks.
    5. THEN tab your way down track 2, renaming regions as you go.
    6. Export regions to files.

This results in a large mixdown file on the hard drive, but who cares? Storage is cheap. And it gives you regions that have already been processed.

HTH
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Ian,

I've got a slight variation on that idea. I like to process the whole file BEFORE editing. This way, while you're editing, you can check to see if everything sounds good. If not you go to the original mixdown, make the necessary adjustments to the processing in that specific area and mixdown to the same file name keeping the already edited regions in tact and "fixing" the specific region in question.

This works well for me because I never trust traditional batch files because I usually never take the time to listen to them after the batch process. I feel much more comfortable listening as I edit.

Whatch think?

As Dave L. mentioned earlier in this thread - the JMS Audioware Batch File Generator might come in handy for some tasks of exporting multiple separate marked areas with all processing desired to new soundfiles - http://www.jms-audioware.com/bfg.htm

Best regards,
    Steve Berson

Quote Originally Posted by bcorkery View Post
    Ian,

I've got a slight variation on that idea. I like to process the whole file BEFORE editing. This way, while you're editing, you can check to see if everything sounds good. If not you go to the original mixdown, make the necessary adjustments to the processing in that specific area and mixdown to the same file name keeping the already edited regions in tact and "fixing" the specific region in question.

This works well for me because I never trust traditional batch files because I usually never take the time to listen to them after the batch process. I feel much more comfortable listening as I edit.

Whatch think?
    Hi Bill,

I have any eq and comp running on Track 1 as I edit, so I hear it then. Not exactly the same as your approach and I have heard subtle diffs between playback and mixdown. I guess the only downside I can think of now is that you have yet another large file on the drive when you're done, but I did say storage is cheap. Hm... do you find it just as easy to use the pencil tool to correct little clicks, etc.?
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Ian,

I get varied results with the pencil tool I usually cut them out before mixdown or use Sound Forge to do the final editing/naming.

Steve,

I also use JMS's BFG when the regions increase incrementally for the most part. With a lot of the video game stuff, the naming convention is all over the place!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    I am looking into a new export track routine that will maintain each region name and export each to an individual file.

Bob L
    This would be AWESOME for some of my long multi-media projects!
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com