Close

Thread: Hints and Tips

Default Hints and Tips

and following on from the vst thread a help thread.

same as before, post any links to threads here and I will update as needed.

Iain
    life will bring what life brings, without rain, sun is a curse

Iain Westland info@paddedcellrecords dot co dot uk

Uk 796 then 200 plus 5712

Default Re: Hints and Tips

Kontakt tip from Bob that has saved me trouble is to have the "Cancel on top" ticked so that background threads do not stall or lock up the program.
    Best to all!
    David

creative use of cancel on top is also handy for those using remote desktop/vnc/etc to enable plug view & control from a remote station. It seems to allow a denser packing with fewer oddities, & you can leave the critical stuff always on top...

I use a dual screen set-up at the host in monitorworld, put all my plugs on the top screen, then I can scroll lapopy's vnc view up to the top screen, use the lower screen for local control at the host, and VNC from lappy to access the plugs & such with only an occasional battle over the cursor between me & the FOH...I also use a second comp remoted in but physically in monitorworld right next to the host as the monitor console.
    Ramsey
    Kingsnake Sound Company
    Host:1U Supermicro rack case/I5-3570K/ASUS Sabertooth Z77/8GB Ram, 32GB SATA flash OS drive/250GB SATA storage drive/DVD-RW/HP1U KVM/DLink DIR-655 WirelessN OS: Win7 I/O: MOTU PCIx-424, 3x MOTU 2408mk3, 9xADA8000 Plugs:RML Levelizer,SAWverb; DualLinkwitzRileyFilter; Voxengo Gliss; ReaXcomp; Dominion; + testing others
    Typical Show:24-40 Channel, 4-8 mixes+sidefill, Stereo FOH+SAW multitracking
    Buffer & load: 2x32, 25-55% depending

this ones from Richard, problems with remote hook up ...

Some notes (not necessarily in the order in which you might want to do this, but mostly in this order)

1. As Bob has mentioned several times, you need to be able to share the folder SAC is installed to as well as any folder your mix files are located. The easy way to do that is to just share the entire drive this data resides on. However I don't really care for that since I some times have volunteer operators or students working on my systems. (hence I like to lock things down as much as possible) So I just shared the 2 folders that were required to make the remote work. To do this, simply open up Windows Explorer (press Start and E at the same time) and navigate to the folder SAC is installed in. (typically C:\SAC) Right click on the folder, and select Sharing. In the dialog that pops up, (it will be different depending on if you are running XP or Vista and whether you are using Simple File sharing or not) you'll want to tell Windows to share that folder. If you have multiple users logging in, as I do, you will want to go to the Permissions and make sure any user you wish to have log into SAC has "full control". I just set mine so that everyone had full control. Repeat this step for the folder(s) you store your mix files in. For me I created a special folder in "My Documents" just for the SAC files. That makes it easy to back up, without having to back up all the application files as well. (at least it seems easier to me anyway)

2. On the SAC machine, you will need to have SAC running and go to the Options menu and select Computer Users Rights List. You will add the name of your laptop or other remote computers to the list, and give them the permissions of your choosing. If you are not sure of the computer's name, you can find that out in Windows Explorer (assuming all the computers are already hooked up to the network, and booted up), navigate to My Network Places|Microsoft Windows Network|"the name of your workgroup" The computer's name will be in ().

3. Now go to your laptop or remote computer. Open up Windows Explorer on it. Navigate to My Network Places again, just as above. Make sure you see your SAC computer. Make sure you can fully access your SAC folder and the folders you store your SAC files in. (I tested this by just created a dud text file in the SAC computer and then deleting it. That way I know I have the "full control" I need to make it work) If your user name and password log in are not identical on both computer, you will need to enter a user name and password that is saved as an account on your SAC computer.

4. Open up SAC Remote on the laptop. Go to the options menu and select Host Computer Name/Address. Enter the name of the computer or the IP address. This info is shown to you right on the SAC computer once you have engaged TCP/IP Host/Mater mode. Or you can use Windows Exploer to find the computer name of the SAC machine, just like I descibed above.

5. On your laptop go to the Option menu and select TCP/IP remote mode. This should now allow your SAC Remote to log onto the host. If you get any kind of error message it seems it's ussually to do with the fact that your laptop is not able to access the files on your SAC system.

Some ways you could speed things up.

1. Share the entire C: drive as Bob recomends.
    2. Use indential user names and passwords on both computers and that will make it so you don't have to go to Windows Explorer and log into the other machine more than likely.

Hopefully that is helpful to someone in the future.

Richard

Wink0r
    There are also routing buttons to assign to buses. If you do not assign a channel someplace there will be no output to mix. On occasion I have used this to get some effects on a snare that is overpowering from stage (loud + bleed).

Mark Stebbeds

Even in the studio I would use the ungated snare in the mix, but patch it to another channel to gate it fairly tight, take it out of the mix bus, but send that gated snare to the reverb ....so the toms, hi hat, and cymbal leakage wasn't triggering the verb.

Old trick ...before samples.
    Last edited by Iain Westland; 05-08-2009 at 01:34 PM.

Even in the studio I would use the ungated snare in the mix, but patch it to another channel to gate it fairly tight, take it out of the mix bus, but send that gated snare to the reverb ....so the toms, hi hat, and cymbal leakage wasn't triggering the verb.

Old trick ...before samples.
    I believe this was posted by Mark, not Wink0r.
    Ira

sorry to Mark, I just copy and paste so we dont start to loose these from the forum bottom

thanks Ira for pointing out my faux pas

Iain

Quote Originally Posted by Iain Westland View Post
    sorry to Mark, I just copy and paste so we dont start to loose these from the forum bottom

thanks Ira for pointing out my faux pas

Iain
    No, just don't want to see Mark get mad just before the weekend. There's work to do!!