Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default VST folders and sub-folders.

I have many Vst's in the saw studio vst folder, but if I add a new one within a sub folder, it doesn't recognize it.. is there any way I can manage to have them within a sub-folder and recognized within SS, or do I need to have the .dlls directly into the VST main folder?

Also, there are 3 colours, I know that the blue ones are SS built, but how does it recognize if it is supposed to go to the green ones or the other ones, and does it affect plugin performance?

Cheers!

Dan

2. Default Re: VST folders and sub-folders.

Copy/paste?

Default Re: VST folders and sub-folders.

Read the helpfile section called "Using Plugin-Effects". There is some information about using .ini file links to VST plugs anywhere on the system.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by [LEFT
    dragoodan[/LEFT];105329]I have many
    Vst's
    in the saw studio
    vst
    folder, but if I add a new one within a sub folder, it doesn't recognize it.. is there any way I can manage to have them within a sub-folder and recognized within SS, or do I need to have the .
    dlls
    directly into the VST main folder?

Also, there are 3 colours, I know that the blue ones are SS built, but how does it recognize if it is supposed to go to the green ones or the other ones, and does it affect
    plugin
    performance?

Cheers!

Dan
    Don't you hate it when people don't answer all your questions?

Panther Pink = DX plugs
    Lovely Lavender= SS native plugs
    Ghastly Green = VST plugs

Not sure what you mean by "if it's supposed to go to..."

You select the plug-in you want to patch into the SS mixer by clicking on it. Then you patch it into one of the SS channel patch points by clicking the Add button in the respective patch point window. You can pick any plug-in that's listed, regardless of color.

So far as I know DX plugs are not being developed any more, though you can still use these soon-to-be-if-not-already-considered legacy plugs in SS. VST plugs are currently the most popular cross-platform type for PC, though SS does not support VST automation. The SS native plugs offer many advantages over the other types, like parameter automation and efficient processing.

Did I cover everything? Or am I misunderstanding your question?
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 05-12-2009 at 12:01 PM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Thx Bob,

I read it and found the drag and drop to the Main VST folder technique, but could not find an .ini related answer. Since you mention it though, I do feel like I've read about it somewhere, I just can't find where

Dan

Many Thanks Dave!

Well, see, the problem is not how to use the Vst or Dxi's within SS, instead the problem is they don't appear in the list at all!
    I know that the answer is to copy and paste it to the main Vst folder avoiding all sub folders, I was just wondering how to mantain the sub folders in order to establish a certain organized plugin closet

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by dragoodan View Post
    Many Thanks Dave!

Well, see, the problem is not how to use the Vst or Dxi's within SS, instead the problem is they don't appear in the list at all!
    I know that the answer is to copy and paste it to the main Vst folder avoiding all sub folders, I was just wondering how to mantain the sub folders in order to establish a certain organized plugin closet

Regards
    Well, I keep the subfolders in place for my own organizational interests, but for VSTs you either need to copy the DLL to the main SS VST folder, or create an INI reference to point to where it is (in the subfolder should be fine). Here's the info on that:

http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3729

For native plugs, I think they have to stay in the folder to which they install originally.

For DX plugs it's a whole different kind of thing so far as I know (which is not much). They install where they install (wherever that is). There are some tools you can download to manipulate them (turn them on and off, delete them) for your system. Alas, I'm out of touch with that stuff.

Others will be on top of it, though.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 05-12-2009 at 12:16 PM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Allright!

I installed and ran the prog and now I have a million .ini files within saw VST folder, it isn't as tidy as I thought (one ini ? ) but it works.. at least I didn't have to copy-paste all of them

From the HelpFile... in the Using Plug-in Effects section... DX and VST:

Regarding installation of VST Plug-ins: Many VST installers will ask for a destination folder. You should choose the VST_PlugIns folder under the SAWStudio main folder. Some of these installers will create another subfolder inside of the chosen folder. For VST plug-ins to show up correctly inside of SAWStudio, they must be directly inside of the VST_PlugIns folder. If a VST plug-in does not show up in the SAWStudio FX Choices list, check the VST_PlugIns folder to see if a subfolder was created and simply move the applicable plug-in .dll file(s) into the VST_PlugIns folder directly.

Some VST Plug-In installations will hardcode or otherwise force their plug-in path to remain intact as installed and will not allow the .dlls to be moved into the SAW VST_PlugIns folder. SAWStudio will allow VST Plugins to reside in any folder on any drive by placing an .ini file substitute in the VST_Plugins folder pointing to the full path of the dll file itself. Open the Notepad (or any other ascii text editor) to create a new text file. Inside the file, type the full drive and path and original .dll filename on the first line of the file. Make sure to finish the line with a carriage return by pressing the [Enter] key to return the cursor to the start of the next line. Then save the file as an .ini file using the same name as the plugin itself. For example, if a VST Plugin called TestPlug.dll is installed to D:\VST\Work, then create an .ini file called TestPlug.ini and inside the file type the line D:\VST\Work\TestPlug.dll followed by a carriage return. This .ini file, placed in the VST_PlugIns folder under SAWStudio, will now link SAWStudio to find the VST plug-in in its originally installed path. This can help solve compatibility issues with hardwired path plug-ins and their various copy protection schemes.

So... I suggest you leave the plugins install in their own folders outside the SS area... and then use the .ini file link to point SS to where they are... this way everything stays neat and clean in the SS folders and the plugins are happy finding all their install paths and copy protection schemes.

Bob L

I believe every one of the many VST plugs I have work fine with their .DLL's in the Studio VST Plugins folder. Can anybody name some plugs that won't work that way?