Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Hello from the past into future....

Yeah, welcome back and thanks for helping to bail out the big 3, the banks & mortgage companies etc, etc, etc!

2. Default Re: Hello from the past into future....

Sorry to hear about your IRS troubles..never fun..under any circumstances.

I think the rules are pretty clear on that though.. Something about turning a profit within a certain number of years..then no more write offs..

I dunno...

Digital Dexterity Records

Quote Originally Posted by spiritman View Post
    Got some really sweet tube pre's (Telefunken, Neve) and other hard to find goodies!
    Tube Neve's? Now that is rare!

Sorry about your IRS troubles. I'm not even gonna touch that subject...

Quote Originally Posted by tomasino View Post
    Sorry to hear about your IRS troubles..never fun..under any circumstances.

I think the rules are pretty clear on that though.. Something about turning a profit within a certain number of years..then no more write offs..

I dunno...
    Over the years that I have filed Schedule C, I only once posted a loss, although I could have done so most years. Basically, instead I say, "OK, I made a little money, here's your cut". I manage this by simply not declaring all of my costs, although I DO keep the receipts. Counter-intuitive though it seems, due to the mysterious ways of Government, there are times when it is indeed best to LIE... so long as said lie is to the Tax Man's short-term advantage. I figure, give a little, save a LOT.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    Counter-intuitive though it seems, due to the mysterious ways of Government, there are times when it is indeed best to LIE... so long as said lie is to the Tax Man's short-term advantage. I figure, give a little, save a LOT.
    True that.
    Rob

Robert Bobrowski
    Edmonds, Washington USA
    rabbitaudio@comcast.net

Cool Re: Hello from the past into future....

Thats how I feel as-well!! But, I was FULLY receipted!! Nothing was missed! The state just said I had a hobby not a business. That is why I am so upset! To make things worse the women that did the appeal. She wouldn't even talk to me. She said "No need too, the numbers don't lie!!" Little did she know that I had just undergone my 2nd angioplasties, went through a terrible divorce. Where I lost over half of my net worth. I was working one full time job, doing the recordings at night, also doing some freelance photo work on the side! Also taking photos for the different band's & singers! And got remarried!! But the numbers don't lie......

Oh theres more.... But this isn't the topic of this thread. I was talking about the 32b sound chip - etc...

Quote Originally Posted by spiritman View Post
    Thats how I feel as-well!! But, I was FULLY receipted!! Nothing was missed! The state just said I had a hobby not a business. That is why I am so upset! To make things worse the women that did the appeal. She wouldn't even talk to me. She said "No need too, the numbers don't lie!!" Little did she know that I had just undergone my 2nd angioplasties, went through a terrible divorce. Where I lost over half of my net worth. I was working one full time job, doing the recordings at night, also doing some freelance photo work on the side! Also taking photos for the different band's & singers! And got remarried!! But the numbers don't lie......

Oh theres more.... But this isn't the topic of this thread. I was talking about the 32b sound chip - etc...
    Sounds like you needed an accountant or attorney with audit experience or a retired IRS agent to talk for you. I know it's expensive, but would you advise a musician with no audio experience to record his own CD? When you're out of your league, hire someone who isn't.

Still sorry to hear of your troubles.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Looks like you sure had a rough ride there, spiritman! Everything I hear about the IRS seems so bizarre, like a cross between Terminator and the Spanish Inquisition. Good luck with rebuilding your business. Think "mustard seeds".

Back to the ESS convertor you mentioned. A good analogy (from photography) is the Foveon sensor used in the Sigmas. The sensor itself is remarkable. It surpasses many of the edge detail issues found in conventional mosaic sensor designs (although recent model Nikon, Canon and Pentax models show real signs of progress here). But the Sigmas have a number of issues esp. regard to build quality, electronics etc. Sadly, Sigma are cutting corners. Great hopes.

That would be my concern about this sort of gear. Anyone can put a AK4390 chip in a box and claim it's "recommended by a neighbour of Bob Ludwig's" and has "proto-elephantine liquid smoothness filters". But I agree the concept of extended bandwidth processing is nice.

Andre