Close

Default Missing wave data not redrawn

I'm sure there's a reason for this, but it caught me off guard.

I was working in a session, and put a region on the MT. Closed the session, decided to do some file management, and moved the audio file containing the region to a different folder. But I forgot to also move the .wpd file. When I opened the session again, I got the message to shift-click to find the (now missing) file. Did that: found the new file and "re-imported" it.

The region played fine during playback, but the wave data didn't show up in the MT region. I guess I just assumed that if I re-imported the file this way, the missing wave data would be automatically redrawn. But it wasn't.

I solved the problem by creating a new session and importing the file, which automatically redrew the wave data. Then I re-opened the original session and the wave data showed up.

Bob, is this a bug? Or just more of your logical design that I didn't understand?

Thanks.

Roger

Default Re: Missing wave data not redrawn

All you should have needed to do was press Shift-OK on the warning dialog box that could not find the file when you first opened the session... then navigate to the new location... it should have then brought it in fine... but... it does expect to see the peak data file with it.

But, you can also just refresh the file or all files once the session was open... you can also double-click the file into the SoundFile view and use the refresh peak data option there with the R key.

You can also use the File View to refresh selected files... or you can just use the File menu Open and Refresh Soundfile to create the peak data file.

So... there are many ways to re-create the peak data files... but... from now on... just remember to keep them together.

Also... if you want to move things around that are part of an edl... use the File View window... you can repath and rename all linked files... and it will handle the wpd files along with everything automatically.

So... I would not consider this a bug... once files are linked into sessions, you should use the various built-in options for repathing and moving things if you want to make location changes.

But... it also sounds like you got around it... although, next time, you now have a few direct and easier methods to solve the problem... once again, this info is all in the helpfile and you would trip over it and be aware of it if you take a short time to read from top to bottom.

Bob L