Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Smile High latency while trying to record with guitar rig

Hi, I´ve been using sawstudio since sawplus but now I´m starting with vsti´s and I´m stuck. I have guitar rig 3, asio4all drivers and sawstudio, I want to record my guitar with a guitar rig efect but I get half a second latency and it´s impossible to record. In the audio driver model I´ve selected hi performance multimedia. Audio device drivers:
    Out buffers: 10 x 256 and In buffers: 10 x 128, with this configuration I get the lowest latency. I select guitar rig plugin and assign it to the FX pre fader and select the sound card device as input source.
    Am I doing something wrong? Is there other way to record live with guitar rig? I guess I´m not using asio drivers at all in this way, at least I don´t see the asio icon in the icon trace.
    One thing I can add is that my pc is a new one and guitar rig alone works well.
    Thabks for your help!

Default Re: High latency while trying to record with guitar rig

Hi diegoalejo15 - I haven't used guitar rig but I believe it has some inherent latency. This, on top of trying to use asio4all as a driver would give unusable results.
    The best way to improve your latency is to add an audio card such as RME HDSP9632 which, on a fast m/c, can easily do 2x32 buffers.

Best wishes - mako
    Denis Hillman
    Queensland
    Australia

10 x 256 is a huge amount of latency... you must get down to 3 x 128 or under if you want realtime performance specs... that will require real asio drivers usually... not even Asio4All on standard built-in soundcards can generally achieve that performance... so you will want to look at a new soundcard solution like the M-Audio Firewire 410 or similar...

Of course the RME and other higher-end soundcards may be where you will want to go if you are now starting to depend on realtime performance and monitoring latency.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    10 x 256 is a huge amount of latency... you must get down to 3 x 128
    I use Guitar Rig 3 all the time at 3x128 with HDSP 9652 and no noticable latency.

Mike Bizanovich
    Wheeling, WV

5. Default Re: High latency while trying to record with guitar rig

I run GR3 also at 4x128 on my laptop and works great. Definately get a better sound card. ASIO4ALL is 'ok' but won't give you the performance you need.
    Dave Sneed

www.davesneed.com
    MSI GT725-074US Laptop, P8600, 4Gig memory, Win 7 Home, M-Audio ProFire 2626, 2x ADA8000

6. Default Re: High latency while trying to record with guitar rig

Ok, thanks for the recomendations guys, but I still got the doubt, should I configure the "audio driver model" option to asio driver or hi performance multimedia? I think the first one would be the correct one but if I select it I hear lot of noise and no signal.

Quote Originally Posted by diegoalejo15 View Post
    Ok, thanks for the recomendations guys, but I still got the doubt, should I configure the "audio driver model" option to asio driver or hi performance multimedia? I think the first one would be the correct one but if I select it I hear lot of noise and no signal.
    The keys here are your sound card and its drivers. If ASIO does not work and Hi Performance Multimedia does work, your choice is obvious.

To get decent low-latency performance you need a more "professional" sound card. There are apparently not very many options that offer good low-latency performance, and none of them are cheap. The sound hardware made by RME works very well (I use an HDSP 9652). The Lynx hardware apparently also is good. There are others, but I am not well informed about them.

Every good low-latency option that I am aware of costs about as much as a decent computer. Half of the value of my current DAW machine, for example, is in the sound card. If you are lucky, you might find one of these used, but I don't see them come up often.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

The M-Audio Firewire 410 is a decent inexpensive option... about $200... that works fine with Asio drivers.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    The M-Audio Firewire 410 is a decent inexpensive option... about $200... that works fine with Asio drivers.

Bob L
    The 410 may be discontinued. It no longer appears under FW interfaces on m-audio.com. The FW 610 is 300 street. The FW Solo is 199. Don't know about quality of hardware or drivers with either one.

But do we know that the OP needs a new interface? Did Diego say what he's using?
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

10. Default Re: High latency while trying to record with guitar rig

I believe he said he was using ASIO4ALL which can be ok for playing softsynths, but when processing audio in and out it can be a bit short on performance.

Perhaps by going into Services and Startup menus and killing off a lot of the unneeded junk performance could be improved...whether it is enough of an improvement or not would have to bee seen.
    Dave Sneed

www.davesneed.com
    MSI GT725-074US Laptop, P8600, 4Gig memory, Win 7 Home, M-Audio ProFire 2626, 2x ADA8000