Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: High latency while trying to record with guitar rig

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
    I believe he said he was using ASIO4ALL which can be ok for playing softsynths, but when processing audio in and out it can be a bit short on performance.

Perhaps by going into Services and Startup menus and killing off a lot of the unneeded junk performance could be improved...whether it is enough of an improvement or not would have to bee seen.
    ASIO4ALL bypasses some of the Windows nonsense in handling audio, which probably helps, but it is still dependent on part of the drivers written by the sound card manufacturer, not to mention being unable to bypass any hardware limitations of the interface.

If the manufacturer's drivers for the sound hardware are not well enough written, there will still be a fair amount of latency that ASIO4ALL cannot bypass. With proper use, I'm sure ASIO4ALL reduces latency a bit, but in many cases the difference will not be enough for anyone who wants to monitor input audio live through any application (such as SawStudio + Guitar Rig).

For low latency performance, there is still no substitute for decent-quality hardware with well-written drivers.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

2. Default Re: High latency while trying to record with guitar rig

Well I have a sounblaster live card (and the onboard card also) dont laught at me.
    Dave, surely I´ll have to replace the card but do have any idea on what services can be dropping performance?
    Thanks for the advices guys.

3. Default Re: High latency while trying to record with guitar rig

Well, it depends a lot on what you need running on your system. Black Vipers site - http://www.blackviper.com/ would be one place to look at for some ideas. MusicXP used to be free access but now it's subscription based. There was a lot of good information there. And last but certainly not least, Bob has some excellent Windows tweaks at the SawStudio site.

Which one to stop? Hard to say but for example, a lot of systems have wireless services running that don't need to be. Automatic updates could probably be shut down.

What I would recommend is that you set up a second profile (right-click MyComputer, select the Hardware Tab and then Hardware profiles at the bottom. Then click on the existing hardware profile - I believe they call it Profile 1 - and copy it. You can then name it whatever you want). Reboot your system and you should have the option to select one of the two hardware profiles - select the new one.

Once booting has finished you can start going thru your services. (access thru your Admin panel in Control Panel or .... there are several ways to get there...) You can stop a service and see if it helps. You can also set how it starts up -automatically or manually though I have found that some services get 'reset' to automatic even though you change them. One way around this is if you find a services that you can disable, you can have those be disabled based on a hardware profiles - the setting is accessed by double-clicking on the service and then the second tab - Log On. Here you can tell it to be on or off depending on the Hardware Profile. This has helped me tremendously with getting a laptop I bought to be usable for SAC and DAW use in general.

Still, the best bet is to get a pro sound card. You could find something used more then likely for a good price.
    Dave Sneed

www.davesneed.com
    MSI GT725-074US Laptop, P8600, 4Gig memory, Win 7 Home, M-Audio ProFire 2626, 2x ADA8000