Close

1. Default Starting out.....AGAIN.

Simple Question. Have a laptop with 60GB (Vista has the other 160GB) And I have an external 160GB. To run SAW effectively, where do I install everything. I have 30 Discs of VSTi's and Soft Synths and maybe 14 Plugins I use the mostly. I also have like trilogy, spectrasonics, virtual grand, and two versions of cubase that I use for MIDI until I can afford MWS. Any help would be appreciated. Oh and not that it matters, but I am running all of this through the presonus digimax thingy. Thanks for the help.
    "It's in the Book if you L K!!!!!
    www.provisions1816.com

Default Re: Starting out.....AGAIN.

Mike,

I'd just install SAW on the internal (60GB) partition - I assume that is your C: drive? If you let SAW go in it's normal, default place (C:\Sawstudio for Full, probably something like C:\SAWStudioLite for Lite), then it's far less confusing.
    I, personally, wouldn't put it on the external drive - once you start installing plugins, especially VSTs and similar, then the registry hooks for those will always expect the directory to be in the same place - if you've installed on an external drive, say D:\SAWStudio\VST_Plugins and then you add another drive, like a CD, then your external might become E: so the directory for SAW will become E:\SAWStudio\VST_Plugins, and your shortcuts won't work and nor will your VST plugins.

Is that answer too long?

Short answer - internal drive - C drive, default path.

Dominic

If you think you're going to run out of space for the masses of VSTi's you have, then get something like Acronis Disk Director and change the partition size - steal some of your Vista 160GB drive space and add it to your 60GB XP partition.

Dominic

I know that my thinking runs counter to the norm these days, but can you really possibly learn how to use 30 disks of VSTis? I still have toruble with all of the options of the 30 or 40 effects that I own and I know that I have not scratched the surface of what they can do. Some I've never even used.

It is a lot of Vsti space.. but, for those of us that use synths for inability to use live recordings, the more the merrier, since you have a broader palette to choose from. Also, the better the quality, the larger the space required (since they are sampled sounds)