Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default OT: Vsti's Where do I put all this stuff

I have halion 2.0 (5 CDs), Spectrasonics Total Bass (DVD and 5 CDs) Emu proteus studio grand beat maker and like another 4 DVDS for that not too mention Cubase SX, Cubase 4, Cakewalks Sonar, Abletone Live and of course SAW.. Can't afford MWS, but all of this came with the studio equipment I bought so where does it all go?
    "It's in the Book if you L K!!!!!
    www.provisions1816.com

Default Re: OT: Vsti's Where do I put all this stuff

That is one tempting thread title.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

I would install SAW first then the vsti's, Install the sample files for the vsti's on a separate drive from your audio data. I base this on the theory that you don't want to simultaneously stream data from and to the same drive- read samples and write audio you are recording. Then install the dll's for them into SAW's vst folder. This way they automatically show up in SAW.

BTW, when using vsti's, I've found it helps to max out your memory- 4gigs will end up giving you access to about 3.4gigs in most 32bit XP rigs.

As a side note, if brave, you could find the entry in the registry which specifies the default directory for vst's and you can set it to SAW's vst directory. Now when you install a vst/vsti, it will auto install to SAW.

Finally, IF YOU MUST, install the other stuff. Steiny, Sonar & Ableton stuff can be directed easily as to the location of vst/vsti's.

Just the way I do it
    Last edited by jazzboxmaker; 08-15-2009 at 06:35 AM. Reason: btw

Quote Originally Posted by mike_da_min View Post
    I have halion 2.0 (5 CDs), Spectrasonics Total Bass (DVD and 5 CDs) Emu proteus studio grand beat maker and like another 4 DVDS for that not too mention Cubase SX, Cubase 4, Cakewalks Sonar, Abletone Live and of course SAW.. Can't afford MWS, but all of this came with the studio equipment I bought so where does it all go?
    Most of it should go on the shelf, until you get bored in 10 years and throw it all away. That is what I did.

I used to beta test software...all kinds, but mostly audio. I also betaed some hardware. I kept all of that junk off of my primary audio machine, which ran SAW and only SAW.

Now, from what I have read, the majority of the guys using large sample libraries keep all that stuff on a seperate computer, triggered from the main audio recording/editing box, to keep the resources of the main audio
    recording/editing box available for audio recording and editing. From what you've written, I guess that you need to pick a software to handle your MIDI duties as you don't want to buy Bobs MIDI program. Out of what you have, I would pick the Cakewalk solution.... but that is my own personal paradigm. I never got comfortable with Cubase, but I was using Cakewalk in the DOS days and beta tested for them when they decided to add audio recording and editing capabilities tot heir MIDI sequencing software.

You certainly can attempt to use all of this junk, " Cubase SX, Cubase 4, Cakewalks Sonar, Abletone Live..." but I'm pretty sure that you'll never even scratch the surface of learning how to properly operate any of it to any degree of professionalism. There is just too darned much to learn. You really need to decide what you are going to use, and learn how to use it, or you'll always be buying something new, looking for some excuse as to why the new thing is better than the 299 other answers that you already own.... but it won't matter, because if you don't learn to use the new one, it won't work any better than the other 299 solutions you already own.

You can be a dilettante, or you can become an audio professional with admirable skill and capability. That part is up to you.

I suggest that you start small. Most guys get buried by all the choices. Take one software as far as you can, find it's limitation in terms of what YOU need to do, ask around to make sure that you really CAN'T do it with that software, then look at what you own and see what you need to add to your system in order to achieve your goals. Good luck, you've set yourself a daunting course.

I keep all of my large VSTi libraries on a separate, internal SATA drive. This has worked out very well for me over the past 3 years.
    The programs themselves are on my C: drive but the samples are on the SATA. It allows the reading of the files to be faster.
    The other bonus is that I was able to do a backup of the VSTi drive in case the drive goes bad.
    That makes reinstalling much quicker since installing the large sample files is what takes most of the time.

6. Default Re: OT: Vsti's Where do I put all this stuff

ok so this is laptop can I RUN my vsti on that drive? Bill you make some good points however I make alot of beats and some of those beats will not make it into saw as I need to learn some midi work and development. Cubase SX is my logical choice since the studio equpment came with FOUR versions. All audio recording is done in SAW. If I have this backwards or wrong someone let me know. Since last night I've found that installing Cubase 4 is useless since he gave me a full copy of Cubase SX. Second the ableton is a limited version and now gone. I've found the the Battery I have is from 2001 and while it has 3 Gigs of drums its not up to date. So I just have to come up with a feasible work path for MIDI work and then move that to SAW. And once again, I cant afford MWS yet. (lol). Thanks for all the info.

Mike
    "It's in the Book if you L K!!!!!
    www.provisions1816.com

Quote Originally Posted by mike_da_min View Post
    ok so this is laptop can I RUN my vsti on that drive?

Mike
    Laptop internal drives are usually 5400 Rpm drives.
    They do have a few 7200 Rpm drives on the market but they create a lot more heat which can be a problem with a laptop.
    I would try one of the new USB external drives - they run at 7200 Rpm and might be the better way to go.
    Just remember to load the program onto your C: drive and re-direct the libraries to the external drive.
    One other thing - you are going to need a lot of RAM for VSTIs to run smoothly. 3Gigs or more is usually required.
    Last edited by Tim Miskimon; 08-16-2009 at 09:00 AM.

I've been putting 7200 RPM drives into my laptops for about ten years. No problems to note. The P-IIIm on which I type this has had a 7200 RPM drive as long as I can remember, and it is my main on line computer, and runs most all day most every day. It is on my lap, and not warm.

My 'built on asus' which, I want to emphasize, has been a bit of a dog all round, was uncomfortably warm underneath, so it was not fun to actually put 'on your lap', but I don't know too many guys who record audio with the laptop on their laps. sitting on a table, it was fine.
    Last edited by Bill Park; 08-16-2009 at 11:10 AM.

Cubase SX is the original version and quite old now, If you must then use Q4 .If Sonar is not at least version 2.2 throw it away, you can't monitor real time. If you're not already comfortable with Q or Sonar for midi you may be happier using MWS and staying in SAW

My 2cents as usual discounted to .01

1 more thumb up on 7200 lappy drives, my Thinkpad R61 has one
    Last edited by jazzboxmaker; 08-16-2009 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Park View Post
    I've been putting 7200 RPM drives into my laptops for about ten years. No problems to note. The P-IIIm on which I type this has had a 7200 RPM drive as long as I can remember, and it is my main on line computer, and runs most all day most every day. It is on my lap, and not warm.

My 'built on asus' which, I want to emphasize, has been a bit of a dog all round, was uncomfortably warm underneath, so it was not fun to actually put 'on your lap', but I don't know too many guys who record audio with the laptop on their laps. sitting on a table, it was fine.

Bill,
    My point was that it's better to use a seperate drive for VSTis. They run better with less glitching.

That said,
    The more action a drive is getting (such as reading and writing large wave files for extended periods of time) the hotter they run.
    I know many people who have had heat related failures with laptops.
    If some one is using a laptop for web surfing, or general average usage I guess the 7200 drives are fine but I question running lots of VSTis and recording & reading lots of audio files at the same time - I just don't see 1 internal drive doing it all without drop outs, glitching & other problems.
    I'm sure there are guys recording 24 tracks of audio on a laptop - when you start throwing in a bunch of VSTi that becomes a problem.