Close

Default Truncated file names on a MAC ?

I brought some wav's to a eng. for mixing on a MAC based PT rig , the file names are truncated ? only about 8 characters show up so we cant tell what is WHAT !

Any idea what is causing this ? , I found this on the net but I'm not sure if this is the problem

Mac 101: Viewing long file names

by Dave Caolo (RSS feed) on May 14th 2007 at 12:00PM
    Have you ever opened up a Finder window in column view and found yourself confronted with truncated file names? It's quite annoying. Here's a quick fix.

At the bottom of the column, you'll see two short, vertical "pipes" (pictured above). Double click the pipes, and the window will instantly expand to accommodate the longest file name in the window.

The names we were seeing on the CD disk had a ~ in them !

Later
    Buzz

Default Re: Truncated file names on a MAC ?

Quote Originally Posted by mikebuzz View Post
    I brought some wav's to a eng. for mixing on a MAC based PT rig , the file names are truncated ? only about 8 characters show up so we cant tell what is WHAT !

Any idea what is causing this ? , I found this on the net but I'm not sure if this is the problem

Mac 101: Viewing long file names

by Dave Caolo (RSS feed) on May 14th 2007 at 12:00PM
    Have you ever opened up a Finder window in column view and found yourself confronted with truncated file names? It's quite annoying. Here's a quick fix.

At the bottom of the column, you'll see two short, vertical "pipes" (pictured above). Double click the pipes, and the window will instantly expand to accommodate the longest file name in the window.

The names we were seeing on the CD disk had a ~ in them !

Later
    Buzz
    When you created the CD, it was probably set to ISO spec. This will truncate names to 8.3 format.

When you burn the disk you need to make sure the disk is written with Mac directory info to handle the Long Names. The software I use on the mac allows me to create Dual (MAC/PC) compatible data disks that support long file names for both platforms.

The other option is the mac can read FAT file systems, so you could also just transfer them on a USB drive formatted with the FAT file system.

hope this helps

Thanks that helps

I will check my program to see if it will format in MAC format ( there appears to NOT be a mac option or ISO option in DeepBurner ? ) , I have the files on a USB drive also , I need to check the format on that as well !

Will the MAC read FAT32 file systems ?
    LAter
    Buzz
    Last edited by mikebuzz; 08-18-2009 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebuzz View Post
    Thanks that helps

I will check my program to see if it will format in MAC format ( there appears to NOT be a mac option or ISO option in DeepBurner ? ) , I have the files on a USB drive also , I need to check the format on that as well !

Will the MAC read FAT32 file systems ?
    LAter
    Buzz
    Yes, the mac reads FAT 32 formatted flash cards.

Do the files appear truncated on a Pc?

If so, maybe it is because of the format you used on the data cd burning, it truncates their names on the cd, regardless of which OS you open them with.

Cheers!