Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jumping In

Default Re: Jumping In

Quote Originally Posted by damongold View Post
    the band i am currently mixing is 66 inputs then we ad guests and all sorts of spontaenoius mayhem it has gone to 72. i want to be prepaired for anything and 3 raydats just seems like the easieat solution i can fit the whole rig (except for RF and ears) into a 14 space shockmout rack and away i go. i will be replacing 2 digidesign venues (profile house, d-show monitors) an HD rig plus snakes and splitter for a 14 space rack. that clears out half the trailer behind one bus!!
    We were obviously posting at the same time.

RBI

Quote Originally Posted by RBIngraham View Post
    Well you'll have to use at least 2 SAC machines to get that input count as Shmick already pointed out.

If you need that many inputs you might want to consider something a bit nicer than having to deal with 3 Raydat cards. At least I think I would look into the RME MADI gear. Sure the converters are going to cost a heck of a lot more, but I would rather deal with one 75 ohm coax connection than 12 ADAT opticals to get all those channels. If you really can afford all the mics and cables and other gear to fill that many inputs I would expect that the extra cost of the RME MADI gear would be in the budget.

RBI
    i already own all the other gear, and yes the cost of going madi would be the stopper the rig as i priced it would coast 13k going madi would cost 21k

Quote Originally Posted by RBIngraham View Post
    Yes it's true that you could have 72 channels that are each a stereo input, however if you look at the audio device set up you'll see that it's limited to 36 stereo input devices and 36 stereo output devices. So you'll never get more than 72 channels of I/O on a single SAC rig. Now if some of that is playback via SAW or software synths or something, then obviously you could run the total input count up above 72 I believe. (never tried it, so don't quote me!) But as you said, you're going to need one hell of a nice computer to do all that in a single box, unless you were very stingy with your resources like EQ, Gates, routing, and how many monitor mixes you were using, etc...

I would still just buy 2 copies of SAC and slit it up with a submixer and main mixer.
    RBI

unfortunately i have 14 stereo mixes at present and it is only projected to grow but becuaes they are all ears i can get real stingy with eq, dyn and fx
    Last edited by damongold; 08-31-2009 at 07:53 AM.

unfortunately i have 14 stereo mixes at present and it is only projected to grow but becuaes they are all ears i can get real stingy with eq, dyn and fx
    Then build the best i7 setup you can afford. Only question is which operating system you will run on it. Hopefully XP will give you much of the benefit of the new architecture. Hyperthreading and 4 cores aren't going to do much for you with SAC.

Asus have some nice mb's. Go for 3GB DDR3 memory. Buy the fastest processor you can afford. Also consider having the machine built for you.

Personally I would go MADI. Have a look at the SSL/Soundscape cards/converters if the RME gear is too much.

Replacing all that Digi gear should give you some sort of budget to work with (assuming you'll be selling off the old gear).

Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Digital View Post
    Then build the best i7 setup you can afford. Only question is which operating system you will run on it. Hopefully XP will give you much of the benefit of the new architecture. Hyperthreading and 4 cores aren't going to do much for you with SAC.

Asus have some nice mb's. Go for 3GB DDR3 memory. Buy the fastest processor you can afford. Also consider having the machine built for you.

Personally I would go MADI. Have a look at the SSL/Soundscape cards/converters if the RME gear is too much.

Replacing all that Digi gear should give you some sort of budget to work with (assuming you'll be selling off the old gear).
    the digi gear was rented from DCR in nashville (except for the HD rig, it belongs to me) i will be putting this SAC rig together and renting it back to the artist so payback will be eventual but i still have to come up with 13k

i will be putting this SAC rig together and renting it back to the artist
    LOL
    it sounds so innocent at the start

all the best...
    mh