Close

Question Layla24 -- direct monitoring

Next Q, Bob....

My setup for SAC will be a Fujitsu LifeBook N6420 (4GB RAM) with a Layla24 PCMCIA sound card, as well as an ADA-8000...total of 16 channels (which is all that's needed at this point).

To get all 16 channels working properly at 3×128, I have to use Echo's PureWave driver; the ASIO driver allows only four simultaneous channels cleanly...five or greater introduces nasty clicks and pops (almost sounds like SMPTE time code, lol).

When using the Layla24 with SAWStudio, I have kept its direct monitoring capability active. Can I disable it when using SAC? If so, then I will test for performance improvement. (Perhaps then I might be able to use the ASIO driver with success.)

Thanks and best regards,
    Míke È. Déè

Default Re: Layla24 -- direct monitoring

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee View Post
    Next Q, Bob....

My setup for SAC will be a Fujitsu LifeBook N6420 (4GB RAM) with a Layla24 PCMCIA sound card, as well as an ADA-8000...total of 16 channels (which is all that's needed at this point).

To get all 16 channels working properly at 3×128, I have to use Echo's PureWave driver; the ASIO driver allows only four simultaneous channels cleanly...five or greater introduces nasty clicks and pops (almost sounds like SMPTE time code, lol).

When using the Layla24 with SAWStudio, I have kept its direct monitoring capability active. Can I disable it when using SAC? If so, then I will test for performance improvement. (Perhaps then I might be able to use the ASIO driver with success.)

Thanks and best regards,
    Wow. I use the ASIO drivers for my Layla 24s with SAC all the time. I am running 32 in by 10 out on the current show, with my buffer at 64 samples x 2. This is with an old 3GHz PIV desktop, 1.5 GB of RAM and 2 Layla 24 cards, plus ADA8000s.

I would think you'll find far better luck with ASIO. Turn off all the Pure Wave junk from Echo. Make sure the sample rate is unlocked, so SAC can set it. Also make sure that any of the sync wave devices options are turned off.

I ran a 16 in by 8 out show with a Layla Laptop and had no issues as all. Ran at the same buffers that I'm running on the desktop.

RBI
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Default Re: Layla24 -- direct monitoring

Double-Wow, Rich...I have the sample rate locked at 44.1 and the device sync turned on. Could be part of my prob.

Can you please check to see whether you have ASIO Direct Monitoring 2.0 checked (enabled)? Currently, I do...but I'd like to know if I can disable it when using SAC.

Thanks so much for your help!

Best regards,
    Míke È. Déè

Question Re: Layla24 -- direct monitoring

Forgot to ask one more thing, Rich....

Do you have ASIO Skip First Buffer PreLoad enabled (checked)? Apparently, it is required for the Layla24.

Thanks again!

UPDATE: Might be a moot point here...this requirement seems to exist in SAWStudio only. (I don't see this menu item in SAC.)

In any event, do you have it enabled (checked) in SAWStudio?
    Last edited by MikeDee; 09-17-2009 at 04:20 AM.
    Míke È. Déè

Question Re: Layla24 -- direct monitoring

Still 'nother Q, Rich....

Which version of the Layla driver are you using?

I'm running XP2. I'll have to check which version I'm on...not sure whether I went beyond 6.14.1. (7.3 is still the latest XP version...just took a quick check.)
    Míke È. Déè

Thumbs up Re: Layla24 -- direct monitoring

Thanks for writing back, Richard [via private email, folks]. J

I'll try unlocking the sample rate, turning off device sync, and disabling (unchecking) ASIO Direct Monitoring. I'll also update the driver to the latest version (7.3) [assuming I haven't already done so] and turn off PureWave.

Hopefully the above changes will result in the ability to run ASIO at 2 × 64. Thanks again for your help! J

Best regards,
    Míke È. Déè

Unhappy Re: Layla24 -- direct monitoring

After testing, I have the same issue in SAC that I had in SAWStudio (see the opening post, pls).

I have come to believe that the issue is not with the Layla24 driver; rather, it appears to be with the Fujitsu N6420's PCMCIA port. RICCOH ports (both PCMCIA and FireWire) have been known to be problematic.

Perhaps I'll give Echo a call. In the meantime, it's back to PureWave for glitchless 3×128 audio in both SAC and SAWStudio. I'll see how it goes....
    Míke È. Déè