Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lenovo Yoga 2 as remote?

Has anyone used the new Lenovo Yoga 2 ultrabook-type computers as a remote? It looks like several models have 3200x1800 screen resolution, which should be great for screen real estate.

Default Re: Lenovo Yoga 2 as remote?

Quote Originally Posted by dbarrow View Post
    Has anyone used the new Lenovo Yoga 2 ultrabook-type computers as a remote? It looks like several models have 3200x1800 screen resolution, which should be great for screen real estate.
    3200x1800 on a 13" screen is pretty much useless for a touch interface. You'd have to have a magnifying glass to be able to see any of the detail, and you'd have to use a pen of some sort to control it. Fingers are way to fat and just not precise enough at that scale.

You need a physically larger screen in order for "Screen Real Estate" to mean much when your talking about touch interfaces.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    3200x1800 on a 13" screen is pretty much useless for a touch interface. You'd have to have a magnifying glass to be able to see any of the detail, and you'd have to use a pen of some sort to control it. Fingers are way to fat and just not precise enough at that scale.

You need a physically larger screen in order for "Screen Real Estate" to mean much when your talking about touch interfaces.
    I disagree, remember that resolution is the maximum. No reason you can't dumb it down a bit if you need elements to be larger.
    Ramsey
    Kingsnake Sound Company
    Host:1U Supermicro rack case/I5-3570K/ASUS Sabertooth Z77/8GB Ram, 32GB SATA flash OS drive/250GB SATA storage drive/DVD-RW/HP1U KVM/DLink DIR-655 WirelessN OS: Win7 I/O: MOTU PCIx-424, 3x MOTU 2408mk3, 9xADA8000 Plugs:RML Levelizer,SAWverb; DualLinkwitzRileyFilter; Voxengo Gliss; ReaXcomp; Dominion; + testing others
    Typical Show:24-40 Channel, 4-8 mixes+sidefill, Stereo FOH+SAW multitracking
    Buffer & load: 2x32, 25-55% depending

Quote Originally Posted by Trackzilla View Post
    I disagree, remember that resolution is the maximum. No reason you can't dumb it down a bit if you need elements to be larger.
    This is true, but the premise was that having a 3200pixel screen was going to provide a lot of screen real-estate which it only does if its spread out over a large enough space to make it useful.

3200 pixels on a 5 inch screen is a lot of pixels but not a lot of real-estate.

3200 pixels on a 30 inch screen on the other hand is both a lot of pixels and a lot of usable real-estate.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Ramsey... don't forget... as you dumb it down from native resolution, lcd screens smear pretty badly... so... running at native res is pretty much a necessity on these screens in my opinion.

Bob L

Even on a low-resolution screen I'd be lost without my stylus. I think my Thinkpad native resolution is 1024 x 768 on a 13" screen. Any higher resolution and even the stylus would become impossible to use. Any larger of a screen would make the Thinkpad less mobile. Keep in mind that using the stylus has a small degree of inaccuracy - not only via the stylus itself, but also one's perception of exactly where the tip meets the target object. This is further aggravated in low-light environments. The low-resolution environment is forgiving. Extremely high resolution would not be as forgiving.

Here's a video that shows the Thinkpad with a stylus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7fIwWOnL_E

Note the use of F-Keys. Could you imagine trying to tap those with your finger? Or if the resolution were higher, trying to tap those with a stylus?
    DF

http://soundaddy.com

Intel DG965OT Motherboard (11/17/08) - Intel P4 LGA-775 651 (Cedar Mill) 3.4GHz CPU
    2.0GB 800Mhz RAM - 40GB Intel X25-V SSD - 500GB SATA "Spinner"

RME HDSP 9652 (x2 - 1 spare) - Behringer ADA8000 (x5 - 2 spares)
    CM MotorMix (x3 - Host system) - Behringer BCF-2000 (Remote system)

My older Microsoft Surface at 1920 x 1080 works fine with the stylus pen... its a very small tip and works just fine with the interface... the biggest issue is seeing clearly that small... definitely need my reader glasses.

Bob L

My pro3 at 12" and 2160x1440 is great. I realize quality of image sometimes suffers with resolution scaling, so one of the first things I did with it was checked to see how it looked if I 'blew it up'. Newer screens handle that much more adroitly than they used to, it still looked great. I have nonetheless gotten quite used to the view at full resolution. I agree a stylus is almost imperative though.
    My biggest gripe is glossy screens. I do realize that a matte screen sacrifices contrast quality and has an adverse affect on fine resolution crispness, but the tradeoff is dramatically improved visibility in high brightness situations. Wanna mess with any tech? If it's a high ambient light area, just hang a backdrop behind him that looks similar to what is on his screen & giggle while they try to discern between the data and the reflection Anyway, I just got a matte screen protector for the Pro3 & we'll see come spring if it makes outdoors more usable or if the inescapable bubbles make me peel & toss the thing.
    Ramsey
    Kingsnake Sound Company
    Host:1U Supermicro rack case/I5-3570K/ASUS Sabertooth Z77/8GB Ram, 32GB SATA flash OS drive/250GB SATA storage drive/DVD-RW/HP1U KVM/DLink DIR-655 WirelessN OS: Win7 I/O: MOTU PCIx-424, 3x MOTU 2408mk3, 9xADA8000 Plugs:RML Levelizer,SAWverb; DualLinkwitzRileyFilter; Voxengo Gliss; ReaXcomp; Dominion; + testing others
    Typical Show:24-40 Channel, 4-8 mixes+sidefill, Stereo FOH+SAW multitracking
    Buffer & load: 2x32, 25-55% depending

I can see just fine and I don't care about the touch aspect of these screens. I currently use a Dell netbook that is 1366x768 and it works great, but it would be better if I could fit a setup similar to my notebook, that has 1920x1200. I guess I could take SACRemote on a USB stick into Best Buy or somewhere and see what it looks like on the demo models.

10. Default Re: Lenovo Yoga 2 as remote?

Bob,

What are the specs on the "older" Surface you are using.